Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Flyaway

PGP

Reaction score
On October 18th I was flying a mapping survey for a major customer. After mapping over 400 plus acres of a 1,447 acre project, I landed and swapped batteries. Continued flight plan. After about 5 minutes it left the pattern on a waypoint turn and flew away right over us as we watched. Several attempts to return home on both the app and controller it kept going. Lost contact at approx 11,300 ft distance and 21% battery. Never found....

Too continue, we filed claim with my insurance company. During the Q&Awith them, they told me that their experience with DJI flyaways seems to be occurring within the first few flights after a firmware update!! We updated to the 6/26/2017 update two days prior to this!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised. You should have asked them, "What brand has a better record of not doing this?"

I won't fly mine now as I'm tired of the RC controller turning halfway off and disconnecting requiring a reboot of the I2's RC in flight. At some point, I fear this this intermittent bad DJI radio crap ain't gonna go well. So far, the old P4 stays connected along with its "shake and shimmy" nonsense of the last firmware update, but my I2 controller is flaky as heck. DJI cannot get its software and firmware act together, imho.

Really am annoyed with DJI leaving their crapware on their server for months to propagate this nonsense too. "We added a new feature, while we tanked the ability to fly it well." No wonder the FAA is stubborn to allow overflights of people with DJI products as I don't trust them either.

Reactions: TheGrumpster
On October 18th I was flying a mapping survey for a major customer. After mapping over 400 plus acres of a 1,447 acre project, I landed and swapped batteries. Continued flight plan. After about 5 minutes it left the pattern on a waypoint turn and flew away right over us as we watched. Several attempts to return home on both the app and controller it kept going. Lost contact at approx 11,300 ft distance and 21% battery. Never found....
I have merged your two threads.

Please keep to one thread for a subject - no need to start fresh threads up.

I thought about upgrading to an i2 but after what I’ve been reading about them I think I’ll stick with the i1

I thought about upgrading to an i2 but after what I’ve been reading about them I think I’ll stick with the i1

Assumptions should not be made as to the cause as their is so many possible places for errors with all craft.

It could have been App, it could have been a bad Home point setting at the battery swap, it could have been bad software or a hardware failure.

Anything is possible and while these craft are very reliable failures happen, regardless of its if battery, propulsion, structural or software you can not fully design out these things worth out spending 10x more than you are now.

Given how many different craft,service methods, storage methods, different location with different magnetic and radio interference and users it’s amazing these things are as reliable as they are.

Everything fails and nothing is perfect, overall the inspire 2 has been as reliable as anything else from anyone else, no one makes a perfect system not even the military, you have to just balance risk vs reward and remember what goes up might come down or may not come back at all, if you can’t afford for that to happen then find another way of doing the shots.

Assumptions should not be made as to the cause as their is so many possible places for errors with all craft.

It could have been App, it could have been a bad Home point setting at the battery swap, it could have been bad software or a hardware failure.

Anything is possible and while these craft are very reliable failures happen, regardless of its if battery, propulsion, structural or software you can not fully design out these things worth out spending 10x more than you are now.

Given how many different craft,service methods, storage methods, different location with different magnetic and radio interference and users it’s amazing these things are as reliable as they are.

Everything fails and nothing is perfect, overall the inspire 2 has been as reliable as anything else from anyone else, no one makes a perfect system not even the military, you have to just balance risk vs reward and remember what goes up might come down or may not come back at all, if you can’t afford for that to happen then find another way of doing the shots.
No assumptions made about anything here. Just seeing that i2s have as many problems as i1s do makes me double think about spending 5 to 6 grand for an supposed upgrade to what I have now. Yes there are a few nicer things about them but not 6 thousand dollars nicer. Lol. Just my personal opinion.

No assumptions made about anything here. Just seeing that i2s have as many problems as i1s do makes me double think about spending 5 to 6 grand for an supposed upgrade to what I have now. Yes there are a few nicer things about them but not 6 thousand dollars nicer. Lol. Just my personal opinion.
I think it's presumptive to blame I2 for this particular case since we've not seen the flight log. It's very much possible that the Pix4D has a role in it too. Just saying.

I think it's presumptive to blame I2 for this particular case since we've not seen the flight log. It's very much possible that the Pix4D has a role in it too. Just saying.
Didn’t say I was blaming the i2. I said I wouldn’t buy one because they are not worth 6 grand more than what I have now. The blame is on all of it really if you want to put blame somewhere . I’m not blaming anything. It’s just one of those things that happens. This is why we have insurance on them.

Didn’t say I was blaming the i2. I said I wouldn’t buy one because they are not worth 6 grand more than what I have now. The blame is on all of it really if you want to put blame somewhere . I’m not blaming anything. It’s just one of those things that happens. This is why we have insurance on them.
I had been flying the Inspire since April without an issue. When I check the flight log in DJI it logged up thru oct 17. This happened on the 18th after 4 flights that day. But the flights weren’t logged for some reason.

No. I kept trying to reconnect. The screen kept saying it was disconnected and was trying to reconnect, and that it was returning to home. All happened so fast.

I guess some people forget the old inspire 1 issues when released. 4 different prop sets now battery issues legs coming lose . It's all part of the dji game when they have the market cornered . I don't an will not update an have no issues on my I2 . It's a great an fun aircraft in many ways. Pre flight checklist is crucial.

No. I kept trying to reconnect. The screen kept saying it was disconnected and was trying to reconnect, and that it was returning to home. All happened so fast.

PGP, when it said "Disconnected" on the screen, did you notice if the main RC LED went dark while the other white ones remained on? That's the way mine behaves when it decides to partially shut itself off. I have it set to hover in place rather than return home while I reboot the RC as I don't know if it will set some new home point or fly off to wherever while the RC restarts and begins transmitting again.

Seems typical of DJI to put out bumware and then wait months to fix it - if they ever do, or without messing something else up. Their X7 scares me as it may be in such low production numbers they may never fix issues it may have, imho. Marketing is not to be believed as when they showed how much larger the Super 35mm frame was over the MFT sensor ( *Introducing the Zenmuse X7 - Cinematic Vision Rising* ). Okay, I2 aerial top speeds and distances too. I sometimes wonder if DJI even uses this stuff as how the heck they even managed to sell the Focus Hand-wheel 2 that would not even couple up to the included bracket. They also screwed up FH-W 1 with a cable that didn't even fit so you had to buy another one.

DJI really has to get their **** together, imho. Glad DJI doesn't make cars. :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell