Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Landing Gear Issue Identified And How To Fix!!!

Reaction score
Hello,

I know I saw many posts about people having issues with the landing gear getting stuck on the Inspire 2. I spent a few hours today testing and have figured out what triggers the issue, and also figure out how to resolve the issue and land the Inspire.

For those of you who don't know, people have complained that while flying the Inspire 2's landing gear would get stuck it what looks like travel mode, and will not go up or down no matter what they do. This causes them to have to catch the bird mid air, or land on 2 x 4's.

Here is what triggers the event.. (Works Every Time) as well as how to Fix the Issue Mid Air (Works Every Time)

The Cause.

If you have the landing gear set to automatic, and you slowly land the Inspire while the gear is in the raised position the gear will start coming down. If you happen to give the drone throttle while the gear is coming down, the drone thinks you are no longer interested in landing, and then causes the gear to STOP and stay in whatever position it is at. I have also a few times see it stop going down, even if you continue to try and land.

Toggling the landing gear up and down via the remote switch does NOTHING.. no matter how often you do it. So what do you do? Its actually very simple

The Solution

Raise the Inspire to about 20 or 30 feet in the air, In the DJI Go 4 app press the Autoland button, and then slide the slider to the right.... The drone will begin to decent, but oh no.. the landing gear still doesn't come down... Toggle the bird from GPS mode to ATTI mode... the drone will then stop and hover in place.. Once it starts hovering toggle the landing gear switch on the RC up, and then Down. The landing gear will then begin to lower and allow you to land

This has worked EVERY single time I have tried it!!!

DJI.... Hint Hint... You may need to add a fix to the next firmware release!!

Hopefully this can help at least one person save their drone if it happens to them..

That's a pretty serious bug. Nice you found out a way to get around it but I doubt the majority of I2 owners are going to do this or remember these steps. DJI really needs a hotfix for this.

Reactions: Jason Boucher
That's a pretty serious bug. Nice you found out a way to get around it but I doubt the majority of I2 owners are going to do this or remember these steps. DJI really needs a hotfix for this.

I've seen posts on other forums of people almost loosing their cameras because they had no way to land the drone... Now that I know exactly what causes the issue, and how to fix it... I can first try to avoid it from happening, and then fix it if it does...

And yes... DJI needs to fix this bug asap.

I've seen posts on other forums of people almost loosing their cameras because they had no way to land the drone... Now that I know exactly what causes the issue, and how to fix it... I can first try to avoid it from happening, and then fix it if it does...

And yes... DJI needs to fix this bug asap.

I have not used the auto landing gear feature, nor do I have the "Disable landing gear lock" switch flipped. Strictly manual and no problems so far... Glad to hear you found a fix though.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

I´ve experienced the same thing. But the solution I found was that, when it get´s stuck in travel mode (or in whatever position it may be)

- Raise the bird up to 4-5 metres (or as high as you please)
- Dig into the menu and turn the automatic landing gear setting to manual, then try to toggle the landing gear switch.

It did the trick for me.

Has anyone had any issue with manual lowering? It seems like that may be the best safety option. Lower it manually before auto activation would occur.

Has anyone had any issue with manual lowering? It seems like that may be the best safety option. Lower it manually before auto activation would occur.

Out of all my testing, I never had an issue with Manually lowering the gear. Now that I know what causes the issue, I always make sure to lower the gear before I get anywhere near the ground.

Reactions: wbr3
Both of you mention raising 20-30ft.... 33ft is the approx limit of the downward vision system, raising it to that or above will switch the aircraft back to the barometer and presumably takes the VPS out of the loop. So I'd guess something is confusing the vision system.

What sort of ground have people been over when the problem occurs? Is it featureless, grass, sand, gravel, concrete, landing pad?

FWIW, I've never experienced the issue, but I've always used a landing pad and manually toggled the gear.

In my case it was over snow. I know the limits of the VPS is 10 metres (divide or multiply by random number to get it in feet..) But I think it only needs to be raised above the height the automatic gear up/down kicks in. I guess that´s why if works lower than 10 metres..

It happened to me over pavement. I think maybe I triggered it by moving the craft while the landing gear was coming down. Since then, I haven't touched it while the landing gear is coming down, and haven't had a problem.

duuuuhhh.... is just happen with me today... i goes up to 50meters manual switch the landing gear nothing happen.... i will try again after i goes back from work

ohh..ohh... i just try everything... still the same

the apps said landing gear rising... and lowering but nothing happen..

my problem is...

i just done flying today morning after my pair of battery finish... so i remove the x5s going to put inside the case... sooo the aircraft wont goes to travel mode... even i goed to the app select travel mode... but nothing happen... but i do notice a tak sound came out from the servo motors...

anyone have idea? or i really have to spend usd100 ++ for shiping.. they do not cover free shipping in malaysia... duhhhhh

Last edited:
I had the same issue (see photo) and opened a case with DJI. I informed them of this very valuable thread and hopefully we'll see a fix soon. Thanks @ Jason for the fix, such as it is.
View attachment 11920

I almost cried when seeing your photo, I had to catch mine a few times like that when i first discovered the issue, its not very fun to do. I'm extremely surprised that DJI didn't encounter this during their testing!

Hello, an easier way around the landing gear problem is just disable the "automatic landing gear" in the app, and use the switch on the remote to operate the landing gear either up or down.

Greg

Reactions: sailor
Hello, an easier way around the landing gear problem is just disable the "automatic landing gear" in the app, and use the switch on the remote to operate the landing gear either up or down.

Greg
Hi Greg, Unfortunately that doesn't work when it happens. It happened to me again yesterday, I think because I tried to land it near some snow. I switched from P mode to Atti a couple of times, tried using the manual switch, and eventually, after maybe 10 times, it worked. It is the second time for me, out or about 20 flights.

Hi Greg, Unfortunately that doesn't work when it happens. It happened to me again yesterday, I think because I tried to land it near some snow. I switched from P mode to Atti a couple of times, tried using the manual switch, and eventually, after maybe 10 times, it worked. It is the second time for me, out or about 20 flights.
Hi Michael,

Wondering if the "lock landing gear" option in the app is what's causing
the problem, what if that was turned off? I think it's to keep someone from raising the landing gear when the drone is not in flight and it dropping on the camera.

Greg

Both of you mention raising 20-30ft.... 33ft is the approx limit of the downward vision system, raising it to that or above will switch the aircraft back to the barometer and presumably takes the VPS out of the loop. So I'd guess something is confusing the vision system.

What sort of ground have people been over when the problem occurs? Is it featureless, grass, sand, gravel, concrete, landing pad?

FWIW, I've never experienced the issue, but I've always used a landing pad and manually toggled the gear.

It happened to me twice today, once when the auto down gear function was enabled and once when it was already set to manual - both times it was over snow

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont