Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 shot down by neighbor

Reaction score
AV News: Inspire 2 Shot Down

Recently did this news story and I found it interesting because the Lawyer we interviewed said its not a federal crime to shoot down a drone even though the FAA classifies it as an aircraft.

He says there are other areas of the law that you can go after people for when they shoot down your drone. But as always it begs the question- Who owns the Airspace over your house?

I researched this not to long ago, from what I've been able to determine the home owner owns the airspace up to 83' AGL. The FAA made this ruling decades ago, I have a feeling this may get updated soon.

Very interesting in many ways! Not going to open a can of worms, BUT I bet if that was a law enforcement DRONE or attached to anything LAW or SAR, their ASSES would already be in jail or Court Hearings. FAA needs to step this law up immediately[emoji35]! Either it's aircraft worthy, or it's NOT! Not going to spend thousands of Dollars on equipment because of gray areas of the LAW, and UNCERTAINTY of AIRSPACE!

Who owns the AIRSPACE?????? Who enforces incidents as such? It's NOW officially a free for all, Rocks thrown, slingshots, firearms, netting, jamming, etc, etc, and it's still an expensive spy aircam[emoji34]!$ .02

Recently did this news story and I found it interesting because the Lawyer we interviewed said its not a federal crime to shoot down a drone even though the FAA classifies it as an aircraft.

He says there are other areas of the law that you can go after people for when they shoot down your drone. But as always it begs the question- Who owns the Airspace over your house?
Please do not double post to get views/clicks - you have already posted this up here Inspire 2 Shot Down which I have locked and as mentioned in the previous post there is already a 5 page thread running on the same subject started by the member/individual it actually happened to.

Here - Inspire 2 Shot down tonight

Reactions: Fickert

Many answers to this question here in this thread. I researched the crap out of this months ago. The answer I got, which makes the most sense to me, is this. You own the airspace up to the tallest item on your property. That can be a tree or a tower or windmill, etc. Anything above that is easement. This is what allows ALL air traffic (news helicopters or police for example) to fly over your house legally and unimpeded.

It is also my understanding that the FAA shot themselves in the foot by making us register our sUAV's, as we are NOW no longer considered "toys" or "models," but carry the same weight as ANY FAA registered vehicle. You can't shoot at a Boeing 747 or a news helicopter. The same laws are supposed to protect us. The FAA can't have their cake and eat it, too. You can't make us register AS any other aerial vehicle, but NOT protect us when we're shot at!

The fact that this "lawyer" says we have no legal recourse is HIGHLY suspect. I would seek a second, more-qualified opinion.

Reactions: 3pa4ok
this is only happening in America ,I would call it "Trump 59 tomahawk syndrome"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD