Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Stability

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to get your opinion on the Inspire 2's stability.

I've been flying the Phantom series for quite some time. I decided to purchase an Inspire 2, and now that I've flown it for close to a year I have to say I'm a little disappointed on one thing. Nothing to do with the camera or anything else other than the stability of the aircraft.

It seems to do well in almost any condition other than basic vertical straight up and down movements and low altitude (close to ground and near objects). I do a lot of real estate videos and this makes it more difficult for me to get low smooth shots at times.

It seems like the root cause is from the strong motors prop wash. However even when the bird is at higher elevation I get quite a bit of movement going vertical - especially coming down. I often deliberate on breaking the Phantom 4 out just for the few shots I need during these scenarios. Doesn't seem like I should have to do that on a rig I've invested around $10K on.

What do you all experience? I doubt it's just me and my aircraft that have this issue...but thought I would check with the I2 community now that I have a lot of flying hours on her.

I've been flying the Phantom series for quite some time. I decided to purchase an Inspire 2, and now that I've flown it for close to a year I have to say I'm a little disappointed on one thing. Nothing to do with the camera or anything else other than the stability of the aircraft.

It seems to do well in almost any condition other than basic vertical straight up and down movements and low altitude (close to ground and near objects). I do a lot of real estate videos and this makes it more difficult for me to get low smooth shots at times.

It seems like the root cause is from the strong motors prop wash. However even when the bird is at higher elevation I get quite a bit of movement going vertical - especially coming down. I often deliberate on breaking the Phantom 4 out just for the few shots I need during these scenarios. Doesn't seem like I should have to do that on a rig I've invested around $10K on.

What do you all experience? I doubt it's just me and my aircraft that have this issue...but thought I would check with the I2 community now that I have a lot of flying hours on her.

Hi T-Bolt, you bring up good observations that are not uncommon to the I2 as well as other aircraft. There are adjustments built in to reduce the descending speed which might help with your issue.

The I2 is a powerful machine that fits the bill for many different scenarios and allows customizations for most of them.

Have you tried tripod mode? It allows the operator to slow most controls down for much smoother movements when trying to get a cinematic shot. There are several other adjustments that can be made in the advanced settings to allow the I2 to fly as you want it to.

Hi T-Bolt, you bring up good observations that are not uncommon to the I2 as well as other aircraft. There are adjustments built in to reduce the descending speed which might help with your issue.

The I2 is a powerful machine that fits the bill for many different scenarios and allows customizations for most of them.

Have you tried tripod mode? It allows the operator to slow most controls down for much smoother movements when trying to get a cinematic shot. There are several other adjustments that can be made in the advanced settings to allow the I2 to fly as you want it to.

Hey thanks for responding. Yes I use tripod mode often - doesn't help. I would love to hear some other advanced settings you might know of to help alleviate this. I've tried tweaking some - primarily EXP and sensitivity. Nothing on gain or max decent. If you have any setting suggestions I would definitely would appreciate it and will try them out.

Thanks!

I agree with the OP. I've seen the Mavic Pro fly better and far more stable, and it seems the advanced flight features work better on it in GO 4 than with the I2 as well. Could be the different designs between the two birds too, or maybe some intrinsic resonate vibrations within it. I also fly the Phantom 4 more often too than the I2. One guy with the Mavic flies it from his pickup truck and lands it by flying in through the passenger window and landing on the seat beside him. Another posted his furniture store's flight videos for TV ads. Nice to have that much faith in your bird.

This is a physics thing. First, the physics, when your descending into your own prop wash it creates turbulence. Regardless of what airframe I'm flying, if I need to do a descending shot I try to always make it one that's a "fly-in" or "fly-out" descent or incorporate a maneuver that keeps you from trying to come strait down into your prop wash. Second, the larger the mass of the UAV the greater the downward propulsion and thus, in turn, worse prop wash.

I love my P4P and it does more of the day to day "heavy lifting" work. It's also smaller and creates much less downward turbulence.

Yes sir I 100% agree with you on descending shots and I do the same. It's really the acceding instability that troubles me. Especially if it's at a height where the ground does not play a factor.

Bummer, thought maybe I would get a few advanced setting tips for improvement. Would rather not go back and forth between P4P and I2, as the X5S is just incredible. Apparently it's unavoidable.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Have not read of this problem on forums and mine have no issues with this aside from dropping too fast into down-wash to be expected. Perhaps wind?vibration issue? GPS?

One trick that sometimes helps keep rise/fall shots a bit more stable is to switch the camera gimbal to free mode instead of follow. That way the camera doesn't follow any yaw movements so slavishly.

Doesn't cure everything, but can sometimes help.

Other than that, check props are fitting snugly and try an IMU calibration from cold. You could also go to a wider angle lens and increase distance from subject - that can sometimes help fool the viewers eye into not noticing wobbles so much.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Have not read of this problem on forums and mine have no issues with this aside from dropping too fast into down-wash to be expected. Perhaps wind?vibration issue? GPS?

Good to hear. Maybe it is my aircraft then, I just assumed everyone would get wobble with the I2 going straight up without going forward. Definitely not a wind issue - I have a lot of flying hours on Phantom and Inspire.

One trick that sometimes helps keep rise/fall shots a bit more stable is to switch the camera gimbal to free mode instead of follow. That way the camera doesn't follow any yaw movements so slavishly.

Doesn't cure everything, but can sometimes help.

Other than that, check props are fitting snugly and try an IMU calibration from cold. You could also go to a wider angle lens and increase distance from subject - that can sometimes help fool the viewers eye into not noticing wobbles so much.

Thanks Nick, That's actually a great idea - if it works *crossing fingers* I will try free mode along with an IMU cal...I need to add that to my checklist as it's been a while, although I've never had errors. I think your right as well on wider angle and farther away but sometimes that's not an option. Great advice man. Also, what'd your settings for EXP, gain, and sensitivity if you wouldn't mind sharing.

I just did an after test, but it's too windy right now to tell. Hopefully it helps tomorrow, I have a big job and it would be awesome if I could get this beast stable going vert. It's a pain dragging around another drone and setting up when your doing handheld video with other equipment as well. Plus the X5S is so good.

I have been doing a mapping resolution test between the Inspire 2, P4P and Yuneec H520 - to see if there is any noticeable difference. One thing that has surprise me (quite a bit) is the Inspire 2 's struggle to follow the mapping grid as closely as the other two drones do. I expected quite the opposite, but in watching the actual flightpath, it seems to drift more. So this is not related to the camera or gimbal. Not sure I ever noticed until I am looking at where the software was telling it to go, and where it actually went. I thought it might be just my I2, but perhaps there is a consistent issue here.

I have been doing a mapping resolution test between the Inspire 2, P4P and Yuneec H520 - to see if there is any noticeable difference. One thing that has surprise me (quite a bit) is the Inspire 2 's struggle to follow the mapping grid as closely as the other two drones do. I expected quite the opposite, but in watching the actual flightpath, it seems to drift more. So this is not related to the camera or gimbal. Not sure I ever noticed until I am looking at where the software was telling it to go, and where it actually went. I thought it might be just my I2, but perhaps there is a consistent issue here.
Mine has always crabbed to the right when pushing the stick straight up - very frustrating.

Reactions: fasterpastor
Mine has always crabbed to the right when pushing the stick straight up - very frustrating.

Hi Rob,

Any drift to either right or left while climbing vertically is probably due to prop misalignment due to one of the cf tubes having rotated slightly. Check this with heli on the ground, turn the prop blades so the tips are as close as possible to the body of the drone. The blade tips must be at the same height and the blade angle about 10 degrees off horizontal, tilting away from the body. If one pair of blades is always higher than the other then you can adjust this by slackening the lock nut below where the "Tee" joint and lever arm attaches, then rotate the carbon tube until the blade tips are the same height, then tighten again.

If the blade tips have "free play" then suggest you use cyano to build up the hub of the prop blades and then file with a nail file until you have a "perfect" fit with no free play.

Hope this helps,
Rob

Reactions: roblevine
Hi Rob,

Any drift to either right or left while climbing vertically is probably due to prop misalignment due to one of the cf tubes having rotated slightly. Check this with heli on the ground, turn the prop blades so the tips are as close as possible to the body of the drone. The blade tips must be at the same height and the blade angle about 10 degrees off horizontal, tilting away from the body. If one pair of blades is always higher than the other then you can adjust this by slackening the lock nut below where the "Tee" joint and lever arm attaches, then rotate the carbon tube until the blade tips are the same height, then tighten again.

If the blade tips have "free play" then suggest you use cyano to build up the hub of the prop blades and then file with a nail file until you have a "perfect" fit with no free play.

Hope this helps,
Rob
Thanks for the info. What I meant is that when I push *forward* it crabs.

Same advice applies if it drifts sideways when pushing the stick forwards, check rotor tips are at same height ... adjust if not

Reactions: roblevine
My I2 was crabbing terribly today when pushing straight up on the stick to fly forward. It was also acting unstable in that when I let go of the sticks it would wander around hovering. Last time I was out it wanted a compass calibration so I did one and I also tried to calibrate the control sticks. Figured that might have been off so I did another compass calibration today and remote calibration and it fixed my crabbing and unstable behavior. Must have been a bad compass calibration the other day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CandyGolds