Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Tripod Mount for Quick Release

Reaction score
Website
www.zothar.com
So I just wanted to test the waters for interest before I make the investment to build this mounts. I just had a baby and desperately need to make more money on the side, so here goes. This is a prototype so I used the glow in the dark filament already loaded into the 3D Printer. I plan on printing another one using "silver" (grey) filament to more closely match the magnesium shell of the aircraft.
20171021_175947.jpg 20171021_175952.jpg 20171021_175956.jpg 20171021_180006.jpg 20171021_180144.jpg 20171021_180150.jpg 20171021_180156.jpg 20171021_181120.jpg 20171021_181126.jpg 20171021_181135.jpg
This 3D Printed tripod mount allows the Inspire 2 to be quickly transitioned from aerial flight to tripod or boom arm configurations. It accommodates a ¼-20 standard screw, but alternate configurations and attachment options are in the works. The mount allows for permanent attachment with negligible influence on flight characteristics, minimal added weight, and does not obstruct bottom facing sensors. Quick release options allow for the best implementation of this mount. The mount is secured with two socket head cap screws. Alternate uses may be payload attachments.

Depending on the tripod used, you may need to add an offset adapter to allow the gimbal to clear. The mount is strong enough to support an Inspire 2, batteries, x5s. It is very solid and I am able to hold the tripod base and angle, invert, and shake the whole assembly.

Seeing how these are made individually and I have debt to take care of I plan on making them for $80/each shipped. Anything less and I couldn't justify the time and cost.

Any feedback (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated. I plan on making the silver version tonight.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the desire to put the drone on a tripod. Tripod mounting pretty much negates the need for a gimbal and that being the case, makes the I2 a less than ideal camera for the job.

It's a cost saving measure. Some people, myself included have invested in one drone and lenses. The inspire tends to be stationary on a tripod, but with a mount can also be attached to a boom, hand frame, etc... The I2 gimbal then becomes very usefull. If you have the cash though, I can see investing in dedicated equipment.

Not sure I understand the desire to put the drone on a tripod. Tripod mounting pretty much negates the need for a gimbal and that being the case, makes the I2 a less than ideal camera for the job.

Reactions: Paul Nordin
Zothar, I like the progress you have been making with this mount. I have two questions. How is the weight distribution at the point of the tripod mount - how balanced is it? And, what is your confidence level of the strength of the mount. I am unfamiliar with the materials and am concerned with the weight of the drone and batteries on the end of a jib or crane on a weak mount. Thanks.

When attached to the tripod at the mount, the weight distribution is towards the back of the Inspire, this is with the X5S and 15mm lens attached. An offset bar/plate would allow the center of gravity to be moved rearwards. However, I would still recommend the quick release be at the mount so that nothing blocks the downward sensors when the craft is being used for airborne filming.

The mount is very strong, as currently designed. I am able to hold the Inspire 2 with Camera and both batteries upside down and shake it without issue. If the jib were to encounter very high rates of acceleration I would probably print a version out of ABS plastic instead of PLA just to be safe.

More recent pictures of the mount are in this thread:

Inspire 2 - New Mount and 360 Camera

I changed the attachment bracket a little bit, and this is the one I did inversion testing on. If you are interested in buying one at some point, I can do destructive testing by attaching weights on the mount until failure, and give you a more accurate number.

Yes, I think I might be interested in buying it when I feel confident that it is strong enough. Is that a metal insert for the tripod socket? If so, that makes me feel a little better about strength. I noticed based on the profile picture with the tripod head in the shot that the clearance between the tripod head and the back of the gimbal is pretty narrow. It looks like an extension plate might be necessary for clearance. I think making it out of the tougher ABS would be a great sales point. If you could do the weight test and it works out I will definitely buy one. Thanks. I think it fills a need as a DJI handheld unit is probably not going to happen.

The insert is a 1/4-20 threaded steel plate. The clearance between the tripod head and gimbal may require an offset plate to get things to your liking. This tradeoff was due to me wanting the downward sensors unobstructed so the mount could be left on the Inspire during flight.

I'll do the destructive weight test after work tonight and let you know how many pounds it supports until failure. I also have some ABS on order to make a version out of that.

Thank you Zothar. I appreciate your continued efforts to make this a solid product. I look forward to your results.

So I used my Compound Bow scale that maxes out at 100lbs, and was unable to break it. See attached picture. 20171031_201809.jpg
This is with PLA. I would need a load cell and a winch to tear it apart, and see how many pounds it can withstand beyond 100.

Just sent you the $65 and my address. Thanks for doing this. I think it will will great for several uses. I'll keep you posted.

Hello. I put my INSPIRE 2 on a tripod. When you rotate the camera horizontally, jerking occurs (as if skipping a frame) (once) video in one place of the picture .... What do you think, what could be the reason?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anastasiyakavitko6