Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 wishlist

Reaction score
Well, since everyone else is predicting the eminent release of the next Inspire I thought I'd throw out some ideas on what I'd like to see it come with.

1. A double battery slot and the necessary controls to make best use of them would be nice. Getting 20-30 minutes of flight time would be sweet.

2. Ocusync or whatever they're calling it to improve the range and FPV view.

3. More sensors like we're seeing with the P4 and Mavic Pro to reduce collisions and make for more stable flight at low altitude. A double IMU etc.

4. Lighter -- if they could make it 10% lighter it would fly 10% longer on the same battery.

5. New image/video processing engine that's both more powerful and battery efficient.

6. Higher bit rate storage and storage of files greater than 4GB. While I'd like to see upwards of 160mbps I'd want at least 100mbps. Even at the minimal 60mbps bit rate you can only get about 9:20 before it needs to start a new file. I'd like to be able to fly for 20 minutes or more without seams in my video.

7. Although I said in 4 I wanted a lighter drone I'd trade a little of that weight savings for a stronger gimbal.

8. Slightly longer props made from CF -- larger props should improve flight time, but the unit would need a slight packaging redesign to permit longer props. I'm not talking much longer, probably a bit less than 10% longer.

Brian

The 4GB storage limitation is a windows file size limitation and honestly you dont want it bigger to prevent data loss with corrupt cards or not closing the file out properly

Reactions: FlyingPhotosKR
Id like to see a brand new camera setup that has all the quality of the X5 but with an optical zoom as standard and a range of lenses that don't require counterweights

Reactions: FlyingPhotosKR
Id like to see a brand new camera setup that has all the quality of the X5 but with an optical zoom as standard and a range of lenses that don't require counterweights

so you mean the X5 with the 14-42?

I will add one more item that I know wont happen but I'll mention anyway...

I would like to see the CSC thing disappear and replaced by a dedicated kill switch, Perhaps best not to make too big a deal of this as this issue appears to ruffle the feathers of more than a few on this board, but having a dedicated button with a switch cover to prevent accidental activation would likely prevent the accidental destruction of many of those drones that have been CSC'd in the air by accident. Might also reduce the chance that someone on the ground is hurt or worse.

This wont happen but I mention it as this is a wish list...

Brian

Reactions: slim.slamma
I will add one more item that I know wont happen but I'll mention anyway...

I would like to see the CSC thing disappear and replaced by a dedicated kill switch, Perhaps best not to make too big a deal of this as this issue appears to ruffle the feathers of more than a few on this board, but having a dedicated button with a switch cover to prevent accidental activation.

This wont happen but I mention it as this is a wish list...

Brian
Careful......... :p

Sentience

But barring that, I agree with all above. What about a power out connector somewhere for a Mayday, or a light, or whatever we want to void our warranty by strapping on the poor thing. I know, but seriously this would be helpful as it is doable but irritating to velcro lipos all over the airframe.

To add another item to the list I'd like to see a dedicated FPV camera for the pilot so the pilot can fly with that camera and the camera operator can do whatever the hell he/she wants. I see that dual stream is something the LB2 is supposed to have and don't know how Ocusync figures into the equation. Ultimately, having a dedicated forward looking camera the pilot can use to fly the bird while the camera operator controls the payload would make the Inspire an even better option.

But, the Inspire is in a weird slot as it's too big relative to the Pantom and Mavic models but not big enough to handle the pro cameras etc. It may be that the Inspire fills a niche market between pro work and just foolin around but limited to just about what it's now capable of doing. That is, the Inspire may well wind up as a dead end. With really small drones like the Mavic offering almost all of the capabilities of the Inspire at 1/3 the cost and 1/4 the weight it will be hard to justify the added cost for the limited increase in capability. The M43 camera, on paper, seems to make the Inspire a true pro system, but the low bit rate and processor performance cripple much of the advantage it should have.

Perhaps the I2 will improve on that and I did have that as an item on my wishlist, but, frankly, it appears to me that DJI is more interested in the vastly larger market of smaller drones like the Phantom and Mavic and in the pro drones like the Matrice 600 and S-series drones for true pro work. It kind of feels like the Inspire is the odd man out...

Brian

the 14-42 requires no balancing. Balance weights are part of the game, you're never going to get around them
Yes different lens require different counter balances. But make the lenses that come with clip on or screw on counter-balance weights or all lenses the same weight

Why not a 6 way avoidance system? L, R, Up, Down, Front and Rear. Surely this can be done?

360° camera option, improved X data transfer rate increased to 100mbps+ (X5s). Extra battery or lighter frame to improve flight times. FPV camera.

Last edited:
To add another item to the list I'd like to see a dedicated FPV camera for the pilot so the pilot can fly with that camera and the camera operator can do whatever the hell he/she wants. I see that dual stream is something the LB2 is supposed to have and don't know how Ocusync figures into the equation. Ultimately, having a dedicated forward looking camera the pilot can use to fly the bird while the camera operator controls the payload would make the Inspire an even better option.

But, the Inspire is in a weird slot as it's too big relative to the Pantom and Mavic models but not big enough to handle the pro cameras etc. It may be that the Inspire fills a niche market between pro work and just foolin around but limited to just about what it's now capable of doing. That is, the Inspire may well wind up as a dead end. With really small drones like the Mavic offering almost all of the capabilities of the Inspire at 1/3 the cost and 1/4 the weight it will be hard to justify the added cost for the limited increase in capability. The M43 camera, on paper, seems to make the Inspire a true pro system, but the low bit rate and processor performance cripple much of the advantage it should have.

Perhaps the I2 will improve on that and I did have that as an item on my wishlist, but, frankly, it appears to me that DJI is more interested in the vastly larger market of smaller drones like the Phantom and Mavic and in the pro drones like the Matrice 600 and S-series drones for true pro work. It kind of feels like the Inspire is the odd man out...

Brian
Brian

In my opinion the niche slot the Inspire holds its ROCK solid in pretty high winds.

This to me makes it generally THE go to platform.

As attractive as others are I look at stability as up there in importance.

Well, since everyone else is predicting the eminent release of the next Inspire I thought I'd throw out some ideas on what I'd like to see it come with.

1. A double battery slot and the necessary controls to make best use of them would be nice. Getting 20-30 minutes of flight time would be sweet.

2. Ocusync or whatever they're calling it to improve the range and FPV view.

3. More sensors like we're seeing with the P4 and Mavic Pro to reduce collisions and make for more stable flight at low altitude. A double IMU etc.

4. Lighter -- if they could make it 10% lighter it would fly 10% longer on the same battery.

5. New image/video processing engine that's both more powerful and battery efficient.

6. Higher bit rate storage and storage of files greater than 4GB. While I'd like to see upwards of 160mbps I'd want at least 100mbps. Even at the minimal 60mbps bit rate you can only get about 9:20 before it needs to start a new file. I'd like to be able to fly for 20 minutes or more without seams in my video.

7. Although I said in 4 I wanted a lighter drone I'd trade a little of that weight savings for a stronger gimbal.

8. Slightly longer props made from CF -- larger props should improve flight time, but the unit would need a slight packaging redesign to permit longer props. I'm not talking much longer, probably a bit less than 10% longer.

Brian
For a start I would like "no image transmission" issues to be solved!!! My I1 is almost useless now, due to changes DJI made in image transmission protocols and transmission power (I work in Europe)! Not to mention complicated and time consuming NFZ unlock procedures for "prohibitet red zones", despite I own pro. certificate and ATC clearance...
I invested heavily in I1 ecosystem (aircrafts, cameras, batteries, lenses, controllers - aprox 10.000 EUR) which now have transmission glitches even when flying at 20m range in open remote field!!!
Comparing to its price and to other mirrorless cameras X5 and X5R are just plain unreliable, unfinished after whole year of product life.
Therefore I really hesitate to believe in any of I2 promises, and in general I am not sure would I believe in DJI anymore...

No, I do not need obstacle avoidance sensors, bells and whistles. These sensor can not see wire in the sky, while I can see tree or building myself.

Yes, I need reliable battery for 15 minutes (without software performance limits when flying X5 on cold day), reliable video transmission on 500m range (without frequent suden transmission losses) , reliable horizon hold of gimbal (without camera heavy tilting in plain sideway flight)... Such problems must be solved for platform to be considered as pro solution!

Regarding the camera - please DJI, just license some Panasonic or Sony or Canon tech and make it fly - that is at least 100Mbps bitrate for 4K@30p, pro level color science and codec without strong compression artifacts, sensor which has at least native ISO 400 or 800 with pro gain controll (X5/X5R have native ISO100 and very noisy shadows, while both X3/X5 have so many H264 artifacts due to poor compression implementation - they are all just in GoPro league at best)

That would make production value - anything else is just gimmick which would hide lack of basic functionalities!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pavitrakher1