Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 with Flir Vue Pro.....

Reaction score
I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on this.

If you had or have a Flir camera on your copter, or which ever copter you may have it on, do you like to control just the cams pitch (up and down) remotely and use the copters yaw to pan left and right (with the cam pointing forward), or do you like to control both the pitch and yaw on the cams gimbal remotely and fly it (point it) different than the copters forward direction? Like flying the copter forward and pointing the cam to the side or backwards, etc..

What copter do you have your Flir cam mounted on and how is it mounted? On a 3 axis or 2 axis gimbal or hard mounted or.....

If you have a Flir Cam on an Inspire 2, how are you controlling your Flir cam? With a second operator and radio or.....

I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on this.

If you had or have a Flir camera on your copter, or which ever copter you may have it on, do you like to control just the cams pitch (up and down) remotely and use the copters yaw to pan left and right (with the cam pointing forward), or do you like to control both the pitch and yaw on the cams gimbal remotely and fly it (point it) different than the copters forward direction? Like flying the copter forward and pointing the cam to the side or backwards, etc..

What copter do you have your Flir cam mounted on and how is it mounted? On a 3 axis or 2 axis gimbal or hard mounted or.....

If you have a Flir Cam on an Inspire 2, how are you controlling your Flir cam? With a second operator and radio
or.....
There is no FLIR camera for the I2. The Zenmuse XT only works on the I1 or M200/210.

Thanks for that Quadpilot, but I'm not asking if there is a Flir cam for the Inspire 2. I am asking about other things.

Actually, there is more than one Flir cam for the I2. The Flir Vue Pro, the Boson, the Tau and so one. You can mount any of these on the I2 or on anything you want.

I have the Flir Vue Pro on my I2 mounted on a Tarot 3 axis gimbal. I figured other people might have this as well.

But my main question for those who have a Flir cam is do you like to control just the cams pitch (up and down) remotely and use the copters yaw to pan left and right (with the cam pointing forward), or do you like to control both the pitch and yaw on the cams gimbal remotely and fly it (point it) different than the copters forward direction? Like flying the copter forward and pointing the cam to the side or backwards, etc..

Reactions: rbh-andy
Me to. Please provide details. Been waiting for ever for a FLIR solution for my I2. A real solution, not duct tape and an an iPhone ;-)

Reactions: rbh-andy
I have the gimbal off of my I2 right now to build a better bracket for the gimbal. It will go just behind the back leg of the I2 main gimbal bracket and clamp across the bottom of the body with a Gopro style connector on it so the gimbal will go on about any copter with that style connector on it. Either my I2 or a cheap old Phantom 2 for dangerous missions. I will post a photo of the bracket as soon as I make the thing. Look at first photo.
20180109_170003.jpg

It will have a pin that will fit into the manual landing gear retract hole like in photo 2, just to stabilize the bracket.
20180109_170003.jpg

In this third photo, this is the controller I built to control the Tarot Flir Vue Pro gimbal. It has a remote wired joystick to control yaw and tilt of the cam and two 3 way switches to control the functions of the Flir cam. Rec on/off on one switch and 3 color pallettes on the other is what I have it set to. It has a range of about 1600ft line of sight, maybe more if I put the antenna outside of the box and clover leafs or whatever, but the range was good for me the way it is. Mount the control box under my Secraft tray and the joystick velcroed on top of the I2 transmitter to operate it with one free finger.
20180109_165051.jpg

20180109_165111.jpg

Reactions: stefano_inspired
I asked the question earlier:

Do you guys out there like to control just the thermal cams pitch (up and down) remotely, and use the copters yaw to pan left and right (with the cam pointing forward), or do you like to control both the pitch and yaw on the cams gimbal remotely, and fly it (point it) different than the copters forward direction? Like flying the copter forward and pointing the cam to the side or backwards, etc..

What's your preference???

Hi there i Have been looking into this very same modification myself as DJI appears to be trying to section out and remove certain favourable options such as this and i thing the option to have a 3axis gimbal controls is very beneficial especially if you keep the primary cam fitted to allow for greater flexibility for either single or due pilot operations. If you remove the main Cam system than i cant see the point, so it all swings on the usability and function you are going to put it to and application etc.

are you powering and transmitting it with its own independent unit or looking to tie it in to the aircraft?

Hi there i Have been looking into this very same modification myself as DJI appears to be trying to section out and remove certain favourable options such as this and i thing the option to have a 3axis gimbal controls is very beneficial especially if you keep the primary cam fitted to allow for greater flexibility for either single or due pilot operations. If you remove the main Cam system than i cant see the point, so it all swings on the usability and function you are going to put it to and application etc.

are you powering and transmitting it with its own independent unit or looking to tie it in to the aircraft?
I asked the question earlier:

Do you guys out there like to control just the thermal cams pitch (up and down) remotely, and use the copters yaw to pan left and right (with the cam pointing forward), or do you like to control both the pitch and yaw on the cams gimbal remotely, and fly it (point it) different than the copters forward direction? Like flying the copter forward and pointing the cam to the side or backwards, etc..

What's your preference???

I have a OGI camera mounted on a Ronin MX. While we are flying we only use the pitch (up and down) controls for the camera, and the yaw and pan controls remain where they are set so our video and thermographic video coincide. The 3 axis gamble movement however helps greatly with the stabilization of the camera in flight, and I actually get less movement on the FLIR (mounted on the gimbal) than I do on the Zemuse (mounted on a plate with dampeners). However this set up is too heavy for my Inspire and is mounted on my Matrice. Just my 2 cents.

My preference would be to control tilt with the controller/transmitter and pan with yaw!

I would like to learn more about your setup too!

I was'nt going to try to tie the Flir cam into the DJI app or anything like that. Just link to a diversity monitor or smallhd monitor with 5.8ghz. I've seen these Flir cams mounted to I2 landing gear legs, on top of the I2 and all kinds of stuff, but I thought it would be better to mount it centrally under the bottom and NOT use the main I2 gimbal. Just take it off completely and use the I2 fpv cam that will show up on your ipad or tablet, which you could put full screen, and have the feed from the Flir on a diversity monitor or other monitor thru 5.8ghz. I have a Secraft tray with two monitors mounted on it. An ipad air 2 and a smalld DP6 or AC7 I think it is. You could get away with a smaller DP4 for the Flir though.But with the Gopro type of mount, you could take it off of I2 and put it under another copter as long as you have the other half of the Gopro mount under it.

I had a Gopro mount under the I2 and the other side of that kind of mount on the top plate of the Tarot gimbal and it worked Ok. I saw an I2 in an ad somewhere the other day that had a metal bracket clipping on the I2 and thought that would be a better fit, but make it out of acrylic (plastic) and make it flexible enough to flex apart and clip onto the I2 underneath and just behind the main gimbal back leg like I showed in the first two photos in my other post above. And have the same gopro mount on this bracket. I just need to make the bracket up with my heating element and some acrylic.

What I'm talking about would be sort of like this kind of mount that kind of clips around the bottom of the I2, but made of black acrylic, and the monitor setup I'm talking about is about the same, but instead of the led box controller on mounted on top of the I2 transmitter, my setup would replace that led box with just a small joystick you could mount wherever you want. And then the two, three way switches on my controller would control whatever Flir function you set them up to control thru the Flir app, like record on/off, different pallets, snap stills, etc.. BUT, go look at the price of that setup in this photo with the led box and all. I think it was a company in Norway or somewhere. My little setup ain't made of that kind of gold. Sort of like having to get or keep your Inspire 1 and buy an almost $10,000 Flir setup just to be able to see what's up thru the app. I don't think everyone needs that capability or wants to afford it. Depends on what you're doing with the Flir cam and the data you're capturing I guess.
111112.jpg
20180109_165051.jpg

Great thread- I'm following your progress. I have an Inspire 1 and want to setup my Vue ProR640 with a Tarot Gimbal- even bought the Tarot TL03FLIR. I have the VTX, BEC, FrSKY receiver, and a 7" diversity DVR moniter ready to roll, but cannot find ANY information on how to set ithe Tarot FLIR gimbal up up- what did I miss? I downloaded the Tarot "ZYX-USB" driver but all I get when I try to open the application is a slab license agreement.

I'm getting desperate for help- I have a job lined up for the camera, and would like to have a gimbal if possible. Othewise I will just have to hard mount it... I would love it if I could just fly the drone, and have my helper/ VO operate the gimbal and take the shots we need.

Thanks for any help!

Cody

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi