Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2, X7 vs X5S.........THEY ARE VERY CLOSE!!!!

Absolutely. The Panasonic sensor while fantastic is miles behind the one used on the X7. However I’m not so sure about the lenses. The Olympus lenses, especially the 25mm is superb, while the DJI lens system is well... more DJI.

The DL lenses are clearly better better than Olympus. No chromatic aberration, no distortion and no star effect at night. Impressive.

Absolutely. The Panasonic sensor while fantastic is miles behind the one used on the X7. However I’m not so sure about the lenses. The Olympus lenses, especially the 25mm is superb, while the DJI lens system is well... more DJI.
The Oly 45mm f1.8 is also a stellar performer especially when stopped down to f4 and f5.6. The one I have shows great corner to corner sharpness, colors and contrast. Trully spectacular lens for its size and price.

I have all Olympus M4/3 and they are far far away from DL lenses. M4/3 looks like S16 film. X7+DL looks really close to Alexa.

This is an old topic and it has been debated to eternity when the X7 was first released. The difference you are seeing might be more result of the X7 larger sensor and better color and better DR than the resolving power of the DL lenses themselves. The sharpness is hard to judge on video. The X7 has stronger AA filter then X5S, allegedly optimised to match the high end video cameras like Alexa. But stronger AA filter is "smoothing out" details which is more obvious on stills viewed at 100%. So, I believe that the concensus by those who debated this topic in the past was that for video the X7 is a lot better, for stills however not so much, as the microdetails are smeared by the stronger AA filter in X7.

Last edited:
I understand that it’s an expensive set (X7 + 4 DL primes + 9mm Laowa). But when you will can buy it, don’t hesitate.

If I was shooting videos for high end production houses I would. But I only shoot stills for my clients and stills are not better from X7. When the X7 was released I got my hands on all DNG files I could have, and analysed them to eternity. Namely files shot with the 16mm DL lens. Even though X7 has better DR and a bit better colors the sharpness and fine details were not better at all. So for me the X5S is better option, plus I have 90mm FF equivalent with the Oly 45mm lens in my bag which is extremely sharp and great for some situations. Strictly speaking for stills only the X7 is simply not worth the extra money.

Last edited:
No you don't have 90FF equivalent. You have equivalent angle of view but not equivalent focale length. Your 45mm still 45mm, even on M4/3 mount. Angle of view and focale length are two different things. I agree that X5S is more sharper but no DP want work with it since they seen X7 in action. Alexa camera is not sharp and this is why DP like it.

It is just a lingo commonly used to describe FOV of a lens. 45mm on M43 has the same field of view as 90mm on FF body and as such with my X5S I have longer lens option available than what X7 lenses offer. I think we now both agree that for video the X7 is a better option but for stills not so. That was my point from begining and we both seem to finally shake hands on that ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuslanmuG