Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire chasing a Phantom 2 with Autopilot and Airspace

Reaction score
Website
terrylowe.com
I used Autoflight Logic's Autopilot with my Inspire 1 Pro to chase my old Phantom 2. I think I could have done a better job of focusing my camera before we took off. (Autopilot recommends that you configure your camera with DJI-GO app before the flight)

Anyway, this is an example of Airspace with Autopilot. My iphone was attached to my Phantom 2 and then I assigned my Inspire to use Follow Mode and focus on that iphone from behind. My friend then flew the Phantom 2 and the Inspire automatically "chased" and took a pretty good video of the Phantom 2. Gotta work on focus though.

Hi Terry, great video. I've had my Inspire for a week and only been able to make one short flight so far due to UK weather. Using down time to read up on flying techniques and your example is very interesting. Do you/can you set the distance that the Inspire will keep from its "target", be that 15 metres or 2 metres for example?

Hi Terry, great video. I've had my Inspire for a week and only been able to make one short flight so far due to UK weather. Using down time to read up on flying techniques and your example is very interesting. Do you/can you set the distance that the Inspire will keep from its "target", be that 15 metres or 2 metres for example?

Yes. In the AutoPilot focus mode, you are able to set parameters such as how high to stay above the target, how far away to stay from it and from which side to follow. It did better when the target went straight for a while. It would seem to move to the correct follow bearing, correct the altitude, then catch up to close the distance. The evil pilot of the Phantom 2 didn't like making it easy though. :confused:. Since this was my first time to try it, I kept my distance.

Hopefully the weather will improve soon!!! If you have not done so, watch the Autopilot videos too....they were pretty cool for those rainy days.

Yes. In the AutoPilot focus mode, you are able to set parameters such as how high to stay above the target, how far away to stay from it and from which side to follow. It did better when the target went straight for a while. It would seem to move to the correct follow bearing, correct the altitude, then catch up to close the distance. The evil pilot of the Phantom 2 didn't like making it easy though. :confused:. Since this was my first time to try it, I kept my distance.

Hopefully the weather will improve soon!!! If you have not done so, watch the Autopilot videos too....they were pretty cool for those rainy days.

Thanks Terry i'll have a look and thats good news about the proximity settings.

Weather looking averagely good today so intending to venture out. First thing to do will be the dreaded camera calibration!
Keep up the good work,

Jon

Thanks Terry i'll have a look and thats good news about the proximity settings.

Weather looking averagely good today so intending to venture out. First thing to do will be the dreaded camera calibration!
Keep up the good work,

Jon
Well, don't keep us waiting! Only one flight with a new inspire until today. How did it go??

Well, don't keep us waiting! Only one flight with a new inspire until today. How did it go??

I didn't actually make it out in the end. A new TB48 was delivered that morning and I spent some time charging and updating the firmware. Then I spent more time familiarising myself with the camera settings so I could get to the adjustments quickly when airborne. Then the dog was haranguing me to take him for a walk and by the time I was ready to fly it was nearly dark.

Up early this morning determined to go and fly but..... no.. wetter than a wizard's sleeve!

I used Autoflight Logic's Autopilot with my Inspire 1 Pro to chase my old Phantom 2. I think I could have done a better job of focusing my camera before we took off. (Autopilot recommends that you configure your camera with DJI-GO app before the flight)

Anyway, this is an example of Airspace with Autopilot. My iphone was attached to my Phantom 2 and then I assigned my Inspire to use Follow Mode and focus on that iphone from behind. My friend then flew the Phantom 2 and the Inspire automatically "chased" and took a pretty good video of the Phantom 2. Gotta work on focus though.

Good stuff - hope the videos I've released have helped. Love to see more of these.

Reactions: Terry Lowe
You betcha. The videos are vital! I was going to try this again today and perhaps get a better focus on the Phantom, but ran out of daylight.
Doing it yourself or have someone with you? I always find it a little challenging to get everything rolling with two quads fast enough to do impressive stuff. Doable, yes.

Tough to break that down to a 123 by yourself thing though :)

Doing it yourself or have someone with you? I always find it a little challenging to get everything rolling with two quads fast enough to do impressive stuff. Doable, yes.

Tough to break that down to a 123 by yourself thing though :)

I have someone else flying the phantom 2. I just tell them to "don't go insane on the sticks".

Reactions: egoldy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide