Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire dropped from sky -- Totally bummed out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Never thought it would happen to me, but I knew I wasn't invulnerable. I just crashed my Inspire 1. :(

I was flying it over a field and it was up maybe 50 feet (still need to review my flight log). I was doing an upward spiral (sticks pushed up and outward). Then for effect I did the reverse.

Oops, next thing you know the sticks were down and inward. Bam. Motors off.

Bird flies straight down to the ground. Totally destroyed. Gimbal snapped, camera dented, frame bent, cross beams snapped, props broken. Etc.

I'm most annoyed that DJI made it THAT easy to shut it off mid-flight. It was a total accident to do it.

I'll have to look into professional repair (hopefully local). What an expensive hobby :|

Ouch!!

You needed to have one of these installed.
2.jpg

Never thought it would happen to me, but I knew I wasn't invulnerable. I just crashed my Inspire 1. :(

I was flying it over a field and it was up maybe 50 feet (still need to review my flight log). I was doing an upward spiral (sticks pushed up and outward). Then for effect I did the reverse.

Bird flies straight down to the ground. Totally destroyed. Gimbal snapped, camera dented, frame bent, cross beams snapped, props broken. Etc.

I'm most annoyed that DJI made it THAT easy to shut it off mid-flight. It was a total accident to do it.

I'll have to look into professional repair (hopefully local). What an expensive hobby :|
Sorry to hear about this. I know the feeling to see the drone smashed to pieces. Mine still sits here resting.

To be able to shut down the motors while still airborne is a silly function ... i understand the reasoning behind it.... but really has anybody EVER had a call to use it in the way it was intended ?.... common DJI get rid of this useless, potentially dangerous and expensive function ....

Nothing to see here ... move along ... the CSC has its supporters and if 90% of owners made this mistake and crashed it's still there fault.

You can argue this till you're blue in the face but the CSC, no matter how stupid, is here to stay.

This will happen again within a few months and will once again fail to convince the old guard that this is a stupid way to EMO a drone.

Brian

Reactions: Hercules_One
To shut down the motors in flight is an emergency response to create a less devastating outcome. It is needed, maybe not the best design by DJI but I have used it with an original Phantom to eliminate an unknown hazard by not allowing the craft to continue on uncontrolled. If you can not control your sticks and prevent them from doing a CSC you should use the safety devices as Ringolong described. It takes a lot of effort and knowledge or a total novice behind the controls to do a CSC in flight.

Reactions: Hercules_One

Yup, (sticks were down and inward) that is the current intended command of the sticks to shut down the motors, albeit it may be unintentional/unintended as you have experienced.

It would be a good idea for DJI to tweak the next FW upgrade for the aircraft to sense the altitude of the aircraft and prohibit this stick position from shutting down the motors if the aircraft is above the leg retraction height. At least give a STRONG (visual & audible) warning on the DJI Go App if an operator/pilot performs this stick operation.... (both sticks down and inward ) while in-flight at an altitude above 3 feet or so. This seems like an easy fix for DJI. programmers.

To shut down the motors in flight is an emergency response to create a less devastating outcome. It is needed, maybe not the best design by DJI but I have used it with an original Phantom to eliminate an unknown hazard by not allowing the craft to continue on uncontrolled. If you can not control your sticks and prevent them from doing a CSC you should use the safety devices as Ringolong described. It takes a lot of effort and knowledge or a total novice behind the controls to do a CSC in flight.
SanCap,
Have you seen my post on this subject?

Nothing to see here ... move along ... the CSC has its supporters and if 90% of owners made this mistake and crashed it's still there fault.

You can argue this till you're blue in the face but the CSC, no matter how stupid, is here to stay.

This will happen again within a few months and will once again fail to convince the old guard that this is a stupid way to EMO a drone.

Brian
RaptorMan,

Have you seen my reply on this subject? Comments?

RaptorMan,

Have you seen my reply on this subject? Comments?

It is a good idea to have a method to kill the motors no matter where it is if the situation demands it, but my guess is the percentage of times the CSC is performed in need versus by accident is probably a lot less than 50%. So, this safety feature, if performed by accident, might cause a crash that could perhaps hit and injure or even kill someone BY ACCIDENT. I'll give the audience one guess as to who is found guilty of carelessness when this happens (notice I said WHEN this happens).

Using primary flight controls for an emergency kill is stupid to the 4th power!

Brian

I am well familiar with this procedure. I use this method to enable/disable motor operation when it's grounded all the time.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to do it. Anyone can do it by accident, as it doesn't require a coded procedure or complicate flow. All it takes is some muscle memory, and OOPS!

That's what happened to me. Muscle memory. And once it happens, you're SOL.

I never thought I would do something so stupid, nor so simple to bring the drone down. And a simple lapse of thinking and boom, I destroyed my $3500 piece of machinery.

I know I did it. I blame no one but myself. But it's the wrong way to implement it. It needs to be a dedicated button with a safety lock, not a positioning of the joysticks that you're already using to control it.

Or if it has to be the joysticks (to encourage simplicity in case of an emergency situation) the. It should be Inward/outward combo, or similar.

I pray you don't make such a foolish mistake as I did!

Reactions: John Archer
Kevin I apologize if you took my comments the wrong way as I intend no disrespect. This issue comes up over and over and over and over and over and over and over and to the old guard it's simply operator error and that's it. There are many people that do not see it that way and wish the kill method was different and did NOT use the primary flight controls.

As I mentioned before and others as well a kill button under a flip up switch cover mounted on the remove below and between the sticks would provide the kill function without using the sticks so that you could not accidentally perform this procedure.

As you mentioned muscle memory is hugely important and having the kill function which is done every flight as part of the flight controls is a virtual guarantee that this will happen and the number of cases where this HAS happened serves to confirm this. If instead we had the kill button as I mentioned above you would use that to kill the motors after every flight and this would serve to provide muscle memory so that it one needs to do this in-flight you would have that muscle memory and be able to perform a kill very quickly.

But, once again, we have the old guard that refuses to care that this can and does happen by accident and also that this INCREASES the chance it could happen by accident and that that could result in injury or death.

When the first serious injury or death happens lets see what the lawyers do to DJI.

Brian

This is NOT going to grow into another 'Should CSC be there or not' or 'CSC is dangerous and is the invention of the devil and DJI and all their employees should be publically hanged for building drones with it implemented' thread.
This subject has been debated on this and other forums ad nauseum.
We are not starting another one. :mad:

This thread now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez