Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire Lost Link / Cold Temperatures?

Have you had success flying in temperatures below freezing?

• yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • have never tried

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi. I just purchased the Inspire 1 RAW. It flies great, and I'm in love with the camera quality and the automation helping to maintain a safe operation. However the temperature in New York today is around 20 degrees F. After about five minutes of being outside, the RC Signal Strength rapidly decreases and drops. The inspire blinks yellow, and the RC LED turns red indicating the lost link.

The connection becomes stagnant, with a few seconds at a time that I can control the aircraft before I lose connection again. During periods of positive connection, the RC signal shows one bar, while the HD downlink is full. The aircraft maintains 12 satellites, but only bringing the remote and aircraft inside to warm up allow me to regain the link between the RC and aircraft.

The temperature outside is 20 degrees F, which is inside the operating range of the inspire (14 - 104), and remote control according to the users manual. Aircraft battery temp while in flight is around 25 degrees C, and i've got the battery insulation stickers installed (below 5C as specified in the manual).

My business partner reports being able to fly his Inspire 1v2 (with the x3 camera) without issues in temperatures as low as minus 10F. but I can't seem to get off the ground without a loss link for more than 5 minutes. DJI Tech Support has had me do everything from downgrade and reinstall firmware, to re-calibrating the IMU. I've tried experimenting by having the aircraft outdoors with the remote indoors and vice versa, and believe it's a problem with the RC battery getting cold, creating a very weak signal strength, which should not be happening at these temperatures, especially since i'm within the published operating parameters.

Have any of you experienced this issue? Any suggestions to remedy it? I plan on flying my inspire commercially in North Dakota (Just got my 107, and have been a private ASEL pilot for nearly 4 years), where it's basically required to be able to fly below freezing.

Hi. I just purchased the Inspire 1 RAW. It flies great, and I'm in love with the camera quality and the automation helping to maintain a safe operation. However the temperature in New York today is around 20 degrees F. After about five minutes of being outside, the RC Signal Strength rapidly decreases and drops. The inspire blinks yellow, and the RC LED turns red indicating the lost link.

The connection becomes stagnant, with a few seconds at a time that I can control the aircraft before I lose connection again. During periods of positive connection, the RC signal shows one bar, while the HD downlink is full. The aircraft maintains 12 satellites, but only bringing the remote and aircraft inside to warm up allow me to regain the link between the RC and aircraft.

The temperature outside is 20 degrees F, which is inside the operating range of the inspire (14 - 104), and remote control according to the users manual. Aircraft battery temp while in flight is around 25 degrees C, and i've got the battery insulation stickers installed (below 5C as specified in the manual).

My business partner reports being able to fly his Inspire 1v2 (with the x3 camera) without issues in temperatures as low as minus 10F. but I can't seem to get off the ground without a loss link for more than 5 minutes. DJI Tech Support has had me do everything from downgrade and reinstall firmware, to re-calibrating the IMU. I've tried experimenting by having the aircraft outdoors with the remote indoors and vice versa, and believe it's a problem with the RC battery getting cold, creating a very weak signal strength, which should not be happening at these temperatures, especially since i'm within the published operating parameters.

Have any of you experienced this issue? Any suggestions to remedy it? I plan on flying my inspire commercially in North Dakota (Just got my 107, and have been a private ASEL pilot for nearly 4 years), where it's basically required to be able to fly below freezing.
I have not had any problems. Flew in -8 with no issues other than frozen fingers. Must get touchscreen gloves. I do use a battery heater.

The stock DJI battery warmer. I usually power on about 10 minutes before flying location. If doing multiple flights I will put in another battery at the beginning of first flight so it will be ready by the time I land. I have seen them used on Ebay for 25-30$. Only downside is they do shorten flight time as the battery is used to heat itself.

The stock DJI battery warmer. I usually power on about 10 minutes before flying location. If doing multiple flights I will put in another battery at the beginning of first flight so it will be ready by the time I land. I have seen them used on Ebay for 25-30$. Only downside is they do shorten flight time as the battery is used to heat itself.
Huh. Thanks for the reply. I thought that I2 batteries had self-warmers?

Huh. Thanks for the reply. I thought that I2 batteries had self-warmers?
Original poster as well as myself are talking with regards to the Inspire 1. You are correct about the Inspire 2 having built in warmers.

If I'm flying the Inspire 1 in those conditions I transport the batteries in a Igloo cooler with a couple of hand warmers inside and try to make sure they are around 80*F when I put them in and power on. Can't help but wonder if the cold is effecting your screen device.

I recently got a warning saying Inspire 1 was landing it then lowered gear and started to lower..... stating "critically low on power" or something along those lines.
Cold temps and over water!
Managed to power up and bring her back in as she lowered I powered up to lessen rate of decent and safely landed at original take off/LP
Battery was sitting at 73% or there about.
Can somebody reschool me of what to look out for in cold weather flying and why this may have happened?
The battery was pre warmed in battery heater prior to take off as per my cold weather flying regime.
Just wanting a brush up and remind.
TIA

Can somebody reschool me of what to look out for in cold weather flying and why this may have happened?
The battery was pre warmed in battery heater prior to take off as per my cold weather flying regime.
Just wanting a brush up and remind.
TIA
Ensure that the battery insulator stickers are installed below 5 degrees C (41 F). Cold weather can prevent the electrons from moving at an ample rate, so that although the battery is still nearly fully charged, the flowage of electricity can be reduced with a cold battery. I'm thinking that was what was happening with my remote controller. I'll finally be doing more testing today with my equipment.

I have tried both the stickers and 3m dbl sided tape with same results. My I1 is reduced to 7 min at or near freezing. I have a radio glove and used a batt warmer. Honestly if I had to shoot for money in the cold it would not be my inspire

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla