Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire V3 Octoquad?...

Reaction score
Is it just me or do others imagine this?

Just sharing a thought i had...I am big on redundancy, and can imagine the Matrice series with 8 motors/props...what a beastly, awesome sight that'd be. Can you imagine the hulky profile of the M210 RTK with 8 props?

Not sure what it would do to current efficiencies, but something i'd like to see...:rolleyes:

Even more-so, i'd like to see the next rendition of the Inspire get BEEFED right up as a heavy lifter, able to take a RED and more, with more redundancy (octo-quad again), equal or better flight times, and back to it's roots of being a "cross-over" platform, ie; a genuine workhorse for a range of Industries in one.

Another mod i have wondered about with the Inspire is to have Tri props....anyone here given that a try?

This is not to be down on the V2, as i love the specs of it, but no Zoom (?) for the X series cameras is a downer, (as it is in the X5's case) less you can throw down $10-12,000 for the Z30 (nice looking gear btw). I guess these are the areas of 'compromise' i mentioned earlier, but it's a **** shame we can't design our AC's for our own needs with these closed type systems.

I'd also like to see the XT/XT2 made compatible with the Osmo as well, but that's a pipe-dream if ever there was.

How about you folks? What would you like to see, or imagine might be added in the new version to set itself right aside in the market?

A.U.S.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way Dji will make the inspire versatile again, they are far too greedy and arrogant. The i1 was as much a work horse you will ever see from them. Moving forward they will isolate every niche they can to maximize profit.

They could for a start offer a RTK that actually works as it sure as hell doesn't on the 210 but mugs are still queuing to buy it :rolleyes:

Reactions: Mr Phantom
I don't think they will ever add any more props to the inspire series, they've set its niche as a cinematographers tool and turned to other platforms for industrial/workhorse applications... You're basically describing the matrice 600/600pro which can lift a Red Epic and has all the redundancy you speak of but is a hexacopter instead of an octocopter. If the "leaks" that surfaced last month(New drawings of the DJI Inspire 3 and Zenmuse X6, X7s, X8 (FF) surface online) are right the next inspire will be basically a larger reboot of the I2 with upgraded motors/props and upgraded cameras...I think they would probably also throw more object detection in the mix but thats about it. The focus with the inspire has shifted completely to cameras and codecs and i don't see it headed anywhere else.

On another note the X5/X5s cameras can accomodate multiple zoom lenses...I have an X5 with a 14mm-42mm lens that can zoom on the fly and a 45mm-150mm manual zoom which takes some wprk to balance correctly but is very possible. So the z3 and z30 aren't the only options. Im with you about the XT I wish mine worked on my osmo. And as for the tri props...I tried a set on my old phantom 3 pro and saw zero improvements in flight time, battery life and flight characteristics so I never pursued them on any of my other platforms.

Caution: Long content due to points covered from above posts. Apologies in Advance.

giumick
said "There is absolutely no way Dji will make the inspire versatile again,

and; "The i1 was as much a work horse you will ever see from them. Moving forward they will isolate every niche they can to maximize profit...."

while
Jesseg138 said "they've set its niche as a cinematographers tool and turned to other platforms for industrial/workhorse applications..."...

I do believe both your viewpoints in this regard, as it is easy to see how their product range is evolving, and becoming even more "use" propriety, or industry defined/specialized, hence more marketability to the masses than the few. That's just business sense if your "niche" market (Hobbyist/semi-pro) no longer pays the bills. The real $$$ is in Industry/Cinematography/Research...ALL funded by Taxpayer $$$ (for the cynics among us).

However, consider the current (middle) market of the INSPIRE (i'm certain that name/title was not by chance) of mostly hobbyist either flyers with cameras, or photo/videographers with an aerial crane, and sure it will evolve to the PRO market, but that's not where the INSPIRE was designed for ... what AC will be it's 'market' replacement in say 3-5yrs. ie; What will fill the void of it's demise...hence my thought process for this thread.

I'd just like to see DJI instill some capability for us to "personalize" our rigs without paying exorbitant priced aftermarket productions. Looking at the Physics/Ergonomics of the V1/2 is easy to see a H-8 is LESS than desirable, or practical for what the AC was "designed" to do. I'm not so sure for the M210 though, i see it very much a possibility. However, i can see an opportunity for a Hexa version...H6 version of the INSPIRE for more heavy duty ops.

Speaking of which giumick, you wrote
"They could for a start offer a RTK that actually works as it sure as hell doesn't on the 210 but mugs are still queuing to buy it ".. As I'm none too familiar with this tech, and not read much of it elsewhere, could you please expand on this line of thought, or direct me to conflicting info. links? With thanks.

Sure, company focus on V1 (soon V2) will recede to be a mere memory, however, I've not seen ONE AC on offer from DJI (S&R or Industrial) that incorporates "accessories" such as a headlight system for night/mine/cave/ S&R or exploratory use. Even those skillful among us who produce brilliant night-time productions could make use of this i'm sure, without some 3rd party jury rigged set-up. That would be a good start.

Modelers/Hackers/Tinkerer's...DISCLAIMER. Don't take the above to be seen as a hindrance/dismissal of your efforts, as i understand that's just how many innovations do occur. I'm looking at this from a customer POV in this instance, and sharing a few observations of "inclusions" i'd like to see, not necessarily pushing for DJI "incorporation" of the ideas proposed, yet hopeful of a broader accessory base than offered atm.

Perhaps the real issue might be "Expanding Licenced Vendors/Distributos" or "Producers Under Licence", but to see more of what's being done in back sheds bought onto the Official site would be a boon,...imo.

Jesseg138 said "On another note the X5/X5s cameras can accomodate multiple zoom lenses...I have an X5 with a 14mm-42mm lens that can zoom on the fly and a 45mm-150mm manual zoom which takes some wprk to balance correctly but is very possible. So the z3 and z30 aren't the only options.

When you consider the [bold] above, i see we agree, (and i too own the 14-42 in my kit)...it's disappointing (and perhaps here is where i should have made my comments more clear) that the X5 doesn't have "auto/man/remote operative" lenses controllable such as the two we do have.

Yes, i know/understand Prime lens to result ratio, but with short battery lives now, the less time jigging with 'manual' zoom lens a hundred or so odd feet, flying from subject to & fro, really can be frustrating, especially with "low working: light etc.

Good glass & technique with a Zoom can make up 'most' losses of P vs Z (imo based on my style of work needs).

It is truly lamentable when it comes down to it, we have the Z3/Z30 as "true" zoom lenses, and i for one think that for budding/semi-pro's working in film/imagery would have liked to see same from the, at the time, "newly innovative" X5. No???

It's all "if's & and's" now, but still not too late for the X5S?...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and time to post.
A.U.S.

Last edited:
In summary to date then;...

Tri Props? Anyone (even DJI?) ever give this AC a go with Tri props (perhaps back in the day with spin ons?)

Headlights?...anyone use them on Inspire for night-time video/pic work Any chance you'd like to share (only the legal ones please)

Suggestions;...
SAFETY:~...What about incorporating RA Emergency PARACHUTES on quads ,as Hexa/Octa already have motor redundancy?

Will we ever see a DJI Y-6 config as an aerial Filming rig? (Carbonbird [QLD - Aust. Company] have a good example of this, though not what i'd call Cinematography at the entrance level offered.). I can imagine it actually (from a marketing perspective at least)
LATEST OFFERING!!!

GEN II of Innovation!!!

"We gave you....INSPIRE!, Now in GenII we offer you..."Y" INSPIRE!" (nb: pun intended)
End********

How about a wider range of Inspire wraps/decals/skins...(AC & Tx/Media)...??

A range of colored frame parts for different themes

THEMES!!!...perhaps that will become the next "commodity drone"

Some more INSPIRED!!! memorabilia/promo items

Feel free to add to the list your speculation "what if's" for the INSPIRE list
A.U.S.

Last edited:
@A.U.S.

As regards the RTK system. It is basically GPS accurate within 1cm that allows for very accurate position hold,data capture and improved mapping capabilities as a result etc. But at present the unit does not feed any info at all to the flight controller nor does the data get in bedded in camera files so its basically as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Its absolutely ludicrous in my opinion people are paying good money for this but sadly that is where the industry is.

I am sorry if i seem rather critical of Dji but i am personally building a custom hex as we speak running a PH2.1 controller. I will never ever be purchasing another Dji product period as i feel they have focused squarely on profit over customer needs and failed repeatedly to offer decent support. I wish someone would just get it over with and take their engineers off them so another company can overtake them and offer a better customer focused item

Ahhh, ok, so my understanding from your post is ,...it's basically a "beta" stage product, being sold with "future promise" (the things like data Tx etc) on a newly released product?

Now, to me, and this is just me, that's mildly amusing if you consider.... open-source by definition is the epitome of a "beta based stage of development/production"...imo. (Nb; previous comment not designed to be inflammatory, merely my observation, no intent to denigrate).

Is the RTK capable of those issues you mention currently, and if so, are anyone else selling comparable or better outfitted equipment with those requirements? As i mentioned, this is new tech to an old tech dinosaur struggling to catch up).

Like you, and this coming to DJI from the "open-source" RC heli marketplace, i have some issues with DJI marketing practices, but i also understand it's how they separate, and likely more importantly, PROTECT themselves in the market, and they are not the first , what i call "closed loop" company, they're just the biggest.

I'd prefer the flexibility of open source over "proprietary" any day, but for the direction i am headed with aerial platforms, i do enjoy quite a number of the DJI features, innovations and platforms that they utilize.

That said, when it comes to Data,...then i DO have certain concerns as well (not operational to AC,, and here not the place for that discussion), yet those will also be not only apparent, but currently occurring in the "open-source" market due to it's very nature of access, so no end loss benefit on either side i'm afraid.

Unfortunately, your last is a lamentable request of most us in the west, for most companies in the west.
China do/read how to do business very differently to the generally accepted "free market" mindset we hold...hence the "insufferable" lack of attention to "Customer Service". They did NOT engage with YOU at the point of sale, it was, and will continue to be,...with your WALLET!

This is why it "appears" they don't "care"...it's because the only "emotion" any corporation has of money, is that of "greed"...no love lost at all. Except for the "customer" trapped in the "closed-loop" circle of HELL it seems! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: giumick
Ahhh, ok, so my understanding from your post is ,...it's basically a "beta" stage product, being sold with "future promise" (the things like data Tx etc) on a newly released product?

Now, to me, and this is just me, that's mildly amusing if you consider.... open-source by definition is the epitome of a "beta based stage of development/production"...imo. (Nb; previous comment not designed to be inflammatory, merely my observation, no intent to denigrate).

Is the RTK capable of those issues you mention currently, and if so, are anyone else selling comparable or better outfitted equipment with those requirements? As i mentioned, this is new tech to an old tech dinosaur struggling to catch up).

Like you, and this coming to DJI from the "open-source" RC heli marketplace, i have some issues with DJI marketing practices, but i also understand it's how they separate, and likely more importantly, PROTECT themselves in the market, and they are not the first , what i call "closed loop" company, they're just the biggest.

I'd prefer the flexibility of open source over "proprietary" any day, but for the direction i am headed with aerial platforms, i do enjoy quite a number of the DJI features, innovations and platforms that they utilize.

That said, when it comes to Data,...then i DO have certain concerns as well (not operational to AC,, and here not the place for that discussion), yet those will also be not only apparent, but currently occurring in the "open-source" market due to it's very nature of access, so no end loss benefit on either side i'm afraid.

Unfortunately, your last is a lamentable request of most us in the west, for most companies in the west.
China do/read how to do business very differently to the generally accepted "free market" mindset we hold...hence the "insufferable" lack of attention to "Customer Service". They did NOT engage with YOU at the point of sale, it was, and will continue to be,...with your WALLET!

This is why it "appears" they don't "care"...it's because the only "emotion" any corporation has of money, is that of "greed"...no love lost at all. Except for the "customer" trapped in the "closed-loop" circle of HELL it seems! :D

Its a real shamein my opinion this is how it is, I also love how user friendly the Dji platforms are but i have had too many issues to sustain their products. We have one of the largest Uk dealers near us and they hate the way they operate so it says it all really. As soon as someone brings a decent IOSD to the market for custom units Dji will find themselves loosing alot of professional level sales in my opinion. I am courting a few software developers as we speak who already have software running on early open source platforms to achieve this so watch this space :)

Ok i will...however, could you also address my query of your DJI concerns about RTK?

I would like to know more. Is anyone else offering a working version of this that satisfies you where DJI disappoints?
A.U.S.

Reactions: Spy
Ok i will...however, could you also address my query of your DJI concerns about RTK?

I would like to know more. Is anyone else offering a working version of this that satisfies you where DJI disappoints?
A.U.S.

Im sure Dji will sort it out eventually, they have to as it's why some people will have specifically got a 210

RTK is alot cheaper now open source thankfully.. Alot cheaper

Ok, so now i know it's available "cheaper", but not where, or by who, and how does it compare to DJI's?
Could you provide a link perhaps please?

Regards
A.U.S.

On another note the X5/X5s cameras can accomodate multiple zoom lenses...I have an X5 with a 14mm-42mm lens that can zoom on the fly and a 45mm-150mm manual zoom which takes some wprk to balance correctly but is very possible. So the z3 and z30 aren't the only options. Im with you about the XT I wish mine worked on my osmo. And as for the tri props...I tried a set on my old phantom 3 pro and saw zero improvements in flight time, battery life and flight characteristics so I never pursued them on any of my other platforms.
On your zoom lenses, does the zoom change the balancing of the lens? I’m paranoid about burning out the gimbal motors and have avoided purchasing one yet.

Please done speak of the i3! I only have $10k invested in my i2, but that’s a large fortune on my budget!!! Jk. I can’t wait to see what an i3 would look like! Better pilot camera I hope!!!

Anyone tired of the little glitches in the go4 app? I was flying just fine. I engaged the auto tracking in composition mode, and the aircraft does not yaw. I switch into quick mode and the craft yaws no problem. Back into composition mode. And it won’t yaw. These little pesky “quirks” are pretty annoying. I hope they don’t migrate into something that effects the flight!

Is it just me or do others imagine this?

Just sharing a thought i had...I am big on redundancy, and can imagine the Matrice series with 8 motors/props...what a beastly, awesome sight that'd be. Can you imagine the hulky profile of the M210 RTK with 8 props?

Not sure what it would do to current efficiencies, but something i'd like to see...:rolleyes:

Even more-so, i'd like to see the next rendition of the Inspire get BEEFED right up as a heavy lifter, able to take a RED and more, with more redundancy (octo-quad again), equal or better flight times, and back to it's roots of being a "cross-over" platform, ie; a genuine workhorse for a range of Industries in one.

Another mod i have wondered about with the Inspire is to have Tri props....anyone here given that a try?

This is not to be down on the V2, as i love the specs of it, but no Zoom (?) for the X series cameras is a downer, (as it is in the X5's case) less you can throw down $10-12,000 for the Z30 (nice looking gear btw). I guess these are the areas of 'compromise' i mentioned earlier, but it's a **** shame we can't design our AC's for our own needs with these closed type systems.

I'd also like to see the XT/XT2 made compatible with the Osmo as well, but that's a pipe-dream if ever there was.

How about you folks? What would you like to see, or imagine might be added in the new version to set itself right aside in the market?

A.U.S.
Tri- props are less efficient than 2 bladers and should be used only when you need more thrust in a limited diameter. In reality a single blade with a counterbalance is the most efficient but very impractical for other reasons.

I, personally, have no interest in a large machine required to lift larger cameras with handles, knobs, buttons and dials that no one can reach in the air. DJI’s brilliance is in designing and manufacturing cameras made specifically made for drone use. The phenomenal X7 weighs just 1.4 pounds with lens and gimbal. Heavy lift to fly handheld cameras is on its way out, IMHO.

Zoom lenses are compromised relative to primes. I’ve been on a lot of jobs with budgets of half a million dollars a day and no one has ever asked for a zoom.

Thanks for those observations Eric, very succinct and informative. I guess that's why they are more predominant on 'racers' than larger AC.
A.U.S.

Thanks for those observations Eric, very succinct and informative. I guess that's why they are more predominant on 'racers' than larger AC.
A.U.S.
Yeah... I fly racers too. I don't have anything hot enough for 3 blade props, though.

I have a ZMR250 kits here waiting to be built, but don't see myself using tri's either. I'm getting on and reflexes not what they once were, so i fly to my limitations, and scare myself once in a while just to keep the edge.

IIRC though, tri's on a heli are more efficient, and assist in a better response/balance outcome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
technologyacair