Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Insurance in place before application to CAA for pfaw

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick one as I am about to be sending of my application to the CAA for my pfaw and just won't to know is it acceptable to put "pending" in the section were it asks you to include your insurance certificate or do they need the insurance in place before sending it to them.

I am hearing rumours that it is taking up to 8 weeks for processing at the moment so don't really won't to be paying for two months of insurance with out actually being able to get out and fly commercially,
Looking forward to your answers as I'm sure this has cropped up in the past.

Jim

Hi, just a quick one as I am about to be sending of my application to the CAA for my pfaw and just won't to know is it acceptable to put "pending" in the section were it asks you to include your insurance certificate or do they need the insurance in place before sending it to them.

I am hearing rumours that it is taking up to 8 weeks for processing at the moment so don't really won't to be paying for two months of insurance with out actually being able to get out and fly commercially,
Looking forward to your answers as I'm sure this has cropped up in the past.
Effectively, you could promise you will get it - then not bother.
They have to be satisfied you are operating with coverage in place as required by law.

Jim
You need insurance in place.
Otherwise they would be granting a PFAW with no proof of valid liability cover.
Effectively, you could promise you will get it - then not bother.
They have to be satisfied that you are operating with the required coverage in place to be operating legally.

I bought a "flight test" policy from insurance4drones which cost around £100.

This has a 30day lifespan, and when you take out a full year policy you get a £50 rebate.

It took roughly 5 weeks for my PFAW to come through (week to process and 4 weeks with the CAA) and it was a few more weeks before my first job. I hung on until I knew the job was happening and then purchased the full policy.

If I'd have gone for the full policy before my flight test I'd have wasted more than 8 weeks of it.

I explained the above intention in my OM and both EuroUSC and the CAA were happy with it.

I bought a "flight test" policy from insurance4drones which cost around £100.

This has a 30day lifespan, and when you take out a full year policy you get a £50 rebate.

It took roughly 5 weeks for my PFAW to come through and it was a few more weeks before my first job. I hung on until I new the job was happening and then purchased the full policy.

If I'd have gone for the full policy before my flight test I'd have wasted about 8 weeks of it.

I explained the above intention in my OM and both EuroUSC and the CAA were happy with it.
Yup - that's one option and a valid point.
But you DO have to be in possession of a valid policy to accompany your submission.

When my Ops manual was submitted it just had a note in the submission saying that insurance will be obtained when the permission was granted. I did my flight test using my BMFA DDD insurance. My PFAW was back in around 3 weeks earlier in the year.

thanks for the responses,

In the end I took out cover with cover drone but dated the start of the policy for 29 days ahead.

This seems like a sensible solution to the position and cover drone informed me this is what a lot of people decide to do for the initial application.

Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla