Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Intelligent flight modes coming Sept 7

No follow me mode though. I asked why not:

"The current implementation of “Follow Me” is not optimized for larger systems, such as the Inspire 1, which require a higher standard of caution in operation. We are constantly evolving our products and are looking for new ways to make it easier to capture professional quality footage with our cameras.

Our SDK is also open for developers to design additional intelligent features in flight and camera orientation."

Apparently you are going to have to manually fly the waypoints while you set them, before you can plot the course. Kind of crappy, but I guess will prevent a lot of crashes with new pilots. See post from DJI's Romeo Durscher on his instagram account

visualaerials Today @DJIGlobal announced Intelligent Flight modes. I would like to take the opportunity to state that these new functions are only as intelligent as the operator. Until true “detect and avoid” is available, these functions will not avoid an obstacle. So if you set your Phantom 3 to Follow Me mode and you are biking through a forest, your machine will likely clip a tree.
Also, Way Points is slightly different now; you will first fly your mission manually while setting the way points. Yes, that’s right. This way you will automatically avoid flying into one of those pesky objects that you may have misjudged by setting way-points on a 2D map. Also, the Follow Me function will not be available on the Inspire. This really is a function more suitable for the smaller Phantom 3 series.
The firmware update to make this available will be released on September 7, 2015.
Phantom 3 Advanced: Camera update to support 2.7K (2704x1520p30) video recording.
5 intelligent flight modes will be included:
Waypoints (inspire 1/Phantom 3 series)
Point-of-Interest (inspire 1/Phantom 3 series)
Follow Me (Phantom 3 series)
Home Lock (inspire 1/Phantom 3 series)
Course Lock (inspire 1/Phantom 3 series)
Note: Intelligent Flight Modes are only available when sufficient GPS signal is available. Always fly safely and with your hands on the controller at all times, even when using these automatic functions.

#DJI #DJIcreator #DJIvisionary #stem #science #technolgoy #engineering #math #fun #cool #fun.
Visual-Aerials.com (@visualaerials) • Instagram photos and videos

Reactions: Joola
Apparently you are going to have to manually fly the waypoints while you set them, before you can plot the course. Kind of crappy, but I guess will prevent a lot of crashes with new pilots. See post from DJI's Romeo Durscher on his instagram account

visualaerials Today @DJIGlobal announced Intelligent Flight modes. I would like to take the opportunity to state that these new functions are only as intelligent as the operator. Until true “detect and avoid” is available, these functions will not avoid an obstacle. So if you set your Phantom 3 to Follow Me mode and you are biking through a forest, your machine will likely clip a tree.
Also, Way Points is slightly different now; you will first fly your mission manually while setting the way points. Yes, that’s right. This way you will automatically avoid flying into one of those pesky objects that you may have misjudged by setting way-points on a 2D map. Also, the Follow Me function will not be available on the Inspire. This really is a function more suitable for the smaller Phantom 3 series.
The firmware update to make this available will be released on September 7, 2015.
Phantom 3 Advanced: Camera update to support 2.7K (2704x1520p30) video recording.
5 intelligent flight modes will be included:
Waypoints (inspire 1/Phantom 3 series)
Point-of-Interest (inspire 1/Phantom 3 series)
Follow Me (Phantom 3 series)
Home Lock (inspire 1/Phantom 3 series)
Course Lock (inspire 1/Phantom 3 series)
Note: Intelligent Flight Modes are only available when sufficient GPS signal is available. Always fly safely and with your hands on the controller at all times, even when using these automatic functions.

#DJI #DJIcreator #DJIvisionary #stem #science #technolgoy #engineering #math #fun #cool #fun.
Visual-Aerials.com (@visualaerials) • Instagram photos and videos
I await with interest for the extra options as an Inspire Pilot. Having watched various "Follow Me" demo's with other craft, this is a feature I could easily live without. I can see why the manual setting of way points looks good from DJI's perspective. Now any crash while setting the points is down to pilot error and has nothing to do with the app. It is wise to never underestimate the stupidity of people. Is it true that a driver successfully sued Winnebago as he crashed his vehicle after setting the cruise control and leaving the driver's seat to get a coffee? Maybe Winnebago will offer way points, follow me and point of interest with the next model.;)

Reactions: Scotflieger
It's a pile - nowhere near where it needs to be to satisfy the needs of the professionals whom DJI marketed it to. P2 owners get a better solution!

It's clear now why DJI is so damned secretive about the beta program - epic failure to produce anything meaningful and another big step behind its competitors.

It's a pile - nowhere near where it needs to be to satisfy the needs of the professionals whom DJI marketed it to. P2 owners get a better solution!

It's clear now why DJI is so damned secretive about the beta program - epic failure to produce anything meaningful and another big step behind its competitors.
What solutions do you need to do your job better? In the current state of legislation and with public safety in mind, I don't really see very many benefits from autonomous features at all.

Reactions: skylabimaging
Does anyone know if you will be able to save a weigh point route? I was looking forward to this feature solely for the purpose of flying an identical route over the course of weeks. Once per week lets say.

Does anyone know if you will be able to save a weigh point route? I was looking forward to this feature solely for the purpose of flying an identical route over the course of weeks. Once per week lets say.
My guess would be no. I was thinking about this very thing and it seems that if your compass calibration stayed the same it would be good to go. However, if any of the 300 variables changed such as:
Magnetic objects.
GPS interference.
Objects like a large vehicle/person in the way that wasn't there before.

Things could go very wrong...

Well I just read on Cnet and two other sites that in fact the route can be saved and called up and re-run. If that information is true then I will be very happy to try the new feature. There are a lot of issues people are raising about the way the weigh points are being implemented, But I tend to think the DJI approach to this is a good one. But that's based on my use for weigh points. I want to be able to plan a route for video without focusing on the camera work. Then replay that route a number of times to capture the correct camera angles and so on. Based on this need, I am looking forward to the update.

Well I just read on Cnet and two other sites that in fact the route can be saved and called up and re-run. If that information is true then I will be very happy to try the new feature. There are a lot of issues people are raising about the way the weigh points are being implemented, But I tend to think the DJI approach to this is a good one. But that's based on my use for weigh points. I want to be able to plan a route for video without focusing on the camera work. Then replay that route a number of times to capture the correct camera angles and so on. Based on this need, I am looking forward to the update.
The term is Waypoint not Heavypoint. Not everyone will be disappointed in the Waypoint mode.

The waypoints are being implemented exactly as I had hoped for. Now I can fly the route as pilot then fly it again as camera operator and I won't have to worry about hitting any trees (unless they start to walk). This is perfect!

One question though, are the altitude and altitude changes recorded in the waypoints and played back as well?

Reactions: TinyD and Sheaddon
What solutions do you need to do your job better? In the current state of legislation and with public safety in mind, I don't really see very many benefits from autonomous features at all.

That's probably because your use cases may not call for it. That's fine.
In my case, we are using UAV as a platform to inspect civil and natural assets. I'll give you an example.

I have an open concrete channel (inlet to a sewage treatment plant) that is approximately 5 Km long. It is 50-60 years old and the surface has pitted from years of exposure to corrosive influent. The usual inspection process requires the channel to be de-watered, drained and isolated for a number of days while Asset managers walk along the route and inspect / assess condition and note any anomalies they encounter. (cracks, shift, spalling, corrosion, debris and foreign materials)

This usually takes a few days to complete and requires a lot of manual work in measurement, documentation and assessment. For those few days, the influent needs to be diverted and managed via a bypass structure which needs 24hr monitoring to avoid spillages. There are a number of safety issues to manage as well which adds up to a significant cost and use of resources.

Now the same inspection job took 28-30 minutes to complete through use of a UAV. (Not an Inspire, but a Microdrones MD4-1000) We planned/set a course along the structure at a constant altitude, set a constant forward velocity and set the camera to capture images at 4 sec intervals while pointed down. This gave us a detailed pictorial record of the complete structure, ready for review and analysis back at the office.

In this case, a flight plan created using a proper toolset enabled a comprehensive inspection at a cost of 20% of the usual process. There is no reason that the Inspire could not do exactly the same job - IF it had a decent flight planning tool and Nav functions that could handle both flight and camera controls.

I have an open concrete channel (inlet to a sewage treatment plant) that is approximately 5 Km long.
We planned/set a course along the structure at a constant altitude, set a constant forward velocity and set the camera to capture images at 4 sec intervals while pointed down.
So you go to the start of the structure, send the UAV on its merry way 5km out and wait for it to come back? That kind of operation is illegal pretty much everywhere nowadays.

There is no reason that the Inspire could not do exactly the same job - IF it had a decent flight planning tool and Nav functions that could handle both flight and camera controls.
You can also fly it manually, which is actually probably a safer solution :)

Reactions: The Editor
So you go to the start of the structure, send the UAV on its merry way 5km out and wait for it to come back? That kind of operation is illegal pretty much everywhere nowadays.

You can also fly it manually, which is actually probably a safer solution :)

Nothing illegal at all about it. You are making baseless and inaccurate assumptions. If you care to know more I am very happy to provide the entire flight plan and TRA. You assumed that we would simply launch, watch the bird go about it's merry way and wait until its return. This is not the case, never has been and never will be.

All our RPAS operations are conducted in VLOS with an operator in full control, ready to take immediate control of the flight under any circumstances. This is a basic requirement of our Operations and Flight manuals. In this specific instance, we had a chase vehicle remain in close contact with the UAV along the entire flight, with the operator sitting in the passenger seat holding the control transmitter and with full view of the bird.

As far as manual control is concerned - I stated that we set specific altitude and velocity parameters, along with automated triggering of the imaging payload at set intervals - this was deliberate and specific flight planning in order to capture consistent image data that was suitable for stitching and automated analysis - manual flight operation, while certainly possible would have introduced variation in the imagery that would have created significant problems for us post capture.

We did in fact fly a second mission - with a different UAV and under manual control to capture a video record of the structure from a lower perspective. Same operational procedures with chase vehicle and such.

As to safety - do you really think or believe that personal safety, route geography, obstructions en route and situational awareness has no part to play in flight planning? Give me a break and stop making wild assumptions about other people's professionalism.

DJI just annouced also on their website that the inteligent navigation features will be available starting with 7th of September.
And you will be pleased with the new features :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk