Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

IOS GO app asks to compass calibrate

Reaction score
I noticed after i updated the IOS GO app to 2.5.1 and updated my craft to 1.5 that the GO app asks me to calibrate the compass every single time i open the app, even if i just go out from the camera view and then come back it will prompt me to do the compass cal.
Can i just hit cancel instead of doing the calibration every time? Sometimes it takes a long time before it even accepts the calibration.

As far as i know the iPad Mini 2 WiFi doesn't even have a compass, at least it doesn't have a stock compass app like iPhone for example.
It has never been like this earlier, do you have the same thing happening to you on 2.5.1?

Anybody know whats the deal with this behavior, its a bit irritating when it pops up every time.

I noticed after i updated the IOS GO app to 2.5.1 and updated my craft to 1.5 that the GO app asks me to calibrate the compass every single time i open the app, even if i just go out from the camera view and then come back it will prompt me to do the compass cal.
Can i just hit cancel instead of doing the calibration every time? Sometimes it takes a long time before it even accepts the calibration.

As far as i know the iPad Mini 2 WiFi doesn't even have a compass, at least it doesn't have a stock compass app like iPhone for example.
It has never been like this earlier, do you have the same thing happening to you on 2.5.1?

Anybody know whats the deal with this behavior, its a bit irritating when it pops up every time.
I get the same alert on my IPad Mini 4. I personally hit cancel on this if I have just completed it recently. I'm going to try and uninstalling the app and reinstalling to see if this helps. Will post my results. Happy flying.

Respectfully

Ralph
FlyHighUSA

The usual reason for the app to recommend calibration of the compass is that the compass is detecting an abnormal magnetic influence because of the proximity of some iron or steel or some electromagnetic activity.
Are you sure your Inspire isn't somewhere it's picking up a magnetic influence?

Your Ipad does have a compass but the app recommending calibration is only related to your inspire - not the Ipad.

Actually I was referring to the ball in a circle calibration needed which is only an alert for the iPads compass and not the bird. Personally my Bird never gives a compass error which is a different alert entirely. When reading the first post I was under the impression it was the iPad compass being referred to and not the Inspire.

Yes, its the "ball inside a circle" and you need to make the ball rotate inside the circle by moving the iPad.
I think that has to do with the iPad or the GO app, but not the bird?

i also thought about re-installing the app, but haven't done that yet. It is only the GO app asking me to calibrate the compass on the iPad, no other apps.

Still got the compass calibration issue and I'm now on GO app version 2.7.1, so it doesn't seem to be tied to a specific version of the GO app.
The calibration issue now seems to happen even more frequently, it asks me to calibrate like every other minute even though i have just calibrated the compass a minute earlier.

Has anybody found a way to stop this from recurring ? I don't know if it is a hardware defect or a software defect in the ipad Mini?

My iPad mini only asks me every now & then about calibrating the compass, I updated the go app yesterday (V2.8.3) & my mini required a calibration but it's not asked me again. I hope I've read your post right & it's not the inspire that keeps asking for a compass calibrate.

Hope the above helps in some way?

Thanks, yes its the iPad Mini 2 that asks me to calibrate, but it seems to only happen when i use the GO app and not with other apps, so i guess its somehow the GO app requiring the compass calibration.
So far the GO app version updates have not helped with this issue so I'm skeptical that an update from my current 2.7.1 to the latest version would help with the calibration issue.

And frankly my ipad mini 2 doesn't only ask me now and then, but more like every other minute. Very annoying i must say, it happens so often that i can't use the GO app on the iPad mini 2.

But actually i haven't tried using it in flight, but why shouldn't the same compass calib message appear while flying.
I haven't tried it in flight since i don't want it to pop up in mid flight.

You've got the same mini as I've got, mini 2 with Retina display. I've only been using the sim app at the mo but the inspire/RC & iPad are all on but the pad hasn't asked for a calibration.

Don't know what to suggest, have you reset you pad by holding the home key/power key simultaneously, might help. Also have you tried closing all your apps down? Double press the home button, you will see all the apps that are open, swipe the app upwards to close them.

Might help...

I take it you are talking about the internal iPad compass and not the compass within the Inspire?
The iPad comes up with a circle with a rolling ball - yes?
Are you using (or putting down your iPad and controller) somewhere near to metal (the trunkmof a car or similar maybe when changing batteries?)
In many case, just cancel it and ignore the message it is not applicable!to the Inspires flight.

The GO app is only responding to info being sent from the AC. The problem is with the aircraft most likely. You can prove it by running the GO app on another device.

No it does not happen with my iPhone 6+, so i doubt its the aircraft.

I take it you are talking about the internal iPad compass and not the compass within the Inspire?
The iPad comes up with a circle with a rolling ball - yes?
Are you using (or pitting down your iPad and controller) somewhere near to metal (the trunkmof a car or similar maybe when changing batteries?)
In many case, just cancel it and ignore the message it is not applicable!to the Inspires flight.

Yes its the iPad compass (circle with a ball). As far as i have noticed it happens in all situations, not just when the ipad is near metal. Most often it happens when i just hold it in my hands.

Somebody mentioned that it disappeared when he reset the iPad to factory settings, but as soon as he put his old iPad backup back on the iPad it started again.

So is it the app that requests the calib or the iPad? I would think its the app since it only seem to happen on the GO app?

Maybe i should try a factory reset, I'm only using the ipad mini 2 for the GO app, or at least that was my initial plan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo