Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad Pro 9.7 in. or iPad mini 4.....7.9in?

Reaction score
Help me out people!
Which iPad should I get for my Mavic Pro?
Should I get the iPad Pro 9.7 in. or iPad mini 4.....7.9in?

the arms have rubber inside and the arms open enough that it dont force in at all
Really, cool... I like the compact size of the mine also... I think I might just get the mini with wifi + cellular... I want GPS.

Go with the 9.7 iPad 32GB. Right now it's $249 at Wal-Mart. It fits in the controller mount on the Inspire 1 perfectly but not sure in the Mavic... I just bought one 3 days ago. I honestly wouldn't go any smaller. It is much easier to fly looking at the screen with 9.7 inches.

I'd thought I read that the iPad Mini 4 has the A8 processor while the 9.7" has the A9. I'm not sure if that's true but if it is there's supposed to be many advantages having the A9 CPU.

Here's a pic for the Inspire/Phantom guys and gals.
907b7914623cc7b8bba5c3abdeb19273.jpg

Go with the 9.7 iPad 32GB. Right now it's $249 at Wal-Mart. It fits in the controller mount on the Inspire 1 perfectly. I just bought one 3 days ago. I honestly wouldn't go any smaller. It is much easier to fly looking at the screen with 9.7 inches.

I'd thought I read that the iPad Mini 4 has the A8 processor while the 9.7" has the A9. I'm not sure if that's true but if it is there's supposed to be many advantages having the A9 CPU.
You are correct the 9 Chip is faster.

iPad mini4 has the A8, the newly released iPad 2018 has the A10 at a lower cost than last year’s iPad model. It’s just a bit below the newer iPad Pro with A10X. But the graphics processor is not as fast as the Pro. The raw performance of the iPad 2018 is much better than previous A9 & A8 ipads.

Might be worth a look if you plan on using it for awhile knowing that several flight controller apps require minimal A9 processing power, the relativly new iPad mini 4 is not supported on a few and probably not long that the A10 will be minimal.

Help me out people!
Which iPad should I get for my Mavic Pro?
Should I get the iPad Pro 9.7 in. or iPad mini 4.....7.9in?
Similar to your question here Best DJI Phantom? where you were enquiring about a Phantom. I will repeat, this is an Inspire Specific board (which is why it's called 'Inspire Pilots').
Since your question is Mavic related you may glean better and more prolific responses on the dedicated Mavic forum.
DJI Mavic Drone Forum

The $250 iPad 9.7" 32GB (2017 or whatever) has been more than adequate enough to view live 3160P video from the x3 cam on the Inspire 1 and control the drone. Mine serves one purpose and that's to operate the drone. DJI Go runs in the background on Android and IOS and diminishes battery life so it's a good idea to have a dedicated device. So I couldn't imagine buying anything more than this to use for only a drone.

On a side note, I disabled many unnecessary features and services on the iPad to help DJI Go run as smooth as possible. This is something I did before I installed DJI Go so I couldn't tell you if there's a difference.

The $250 iPad 9.7" 32GB (2017 or whatever) has been more than adequate enough to view live 3160P video from the x3 cam on the Inspire 1 and control the drone. Mine serves one purpose and that's to operate the drone. DJI Go runs in the background on Android and IOS and diminishes battery life so it's a good idea to have a dedicated device. So I couldn't imagine buying anything more than this to use for only a drone.

On a side note, I disabled many unnecessary features and services on the iPad to help DJI Go run as smooth as possible. This is something I did before I installed DJI Go so I couldn't tell you if there's a difference.
That works great! The 2017 iPad with A9 processor is also acceptable by AutoPilot and other processor intensive apps, the iPad mini or 2016 iPad with A8 is listed as not compatible.
Autopilot - Hangar

If using primarily with DJIGo or non-automomus flight controller app, the processing requirements are much lower for DJIGO or DJIGO4 apps and the A8 or A9 versions: 2016 & 2017 work fine.

If you're planning on AutoPilot or multiple other apps that require the A9 minimum, As long as you're buying new, I'd evaluate the need for a A10. Several Other posters with A9 iPads within other threads have indicated the longer autonomous flights have froze up and on Hot Days, the A9's overheat where the A10 perform nicely. Until the 2018 iPad, the only A10 was the higher cost iPad Pro.

Background apps on mobile OS's are different than background apps on Wk-Station OS's. Mobile OS (iOS or Android) technically don't kill any app when closed, they basically freeze and memory swap; although you can access the running apps and force kill the app. If it has a backgound resident module, that component may re-spawn and run in background: weather app, notice tickler apps, etc. To my checking on iOS 11 and Android 7.1, neither DJIGo or DJIGo4 re-spawn after killing, so if you "Double Tap" the iPad's Home key you can selectively kill background apps.

This is a great thread. I have been using the DJI Crystal Sky UB 7.85” model for 3 months now and it has been nothing but a PITA. On top of that, their are more and more apps coming out that I would be interested in using and are showing up on IOS first. I am seriously contemplating just writing off my Crystal Sky investment and moving back to an iPad, most likely the new mini.

This is a great thread. I have been using the DJI Crystal Sky UB 7.85” model for 3 months now and it has been nothing but a PITA. On top of that, their are more and more apps coming out that I would be interested in using and are showing up on IOS first. I am seriously contemplating just writing off my Crystal Sky investment and moving back to an iPad, most likely the new mini.
am curious what kind of problems?

am curious what kind of problems?
The biggest issue over the last two months is the during flight, the GO4 app completely locks up and forces you to get the aircraft back using either the RTH button on the controller, or to fly home using the controller. On some shoots, especially at distances, this has caused me much grief. I fly over water a great deal right now and on several occasions have thought my drone was lost.

DJI support has been unable to identify and resolve the problem. Their are quite a few threads on this issue, so I know I am not alone... No one seems to know if it is a HW problem or a GO4 app problem, but either way, the only way to recover is get the drone back, power everything down, and then restart everything.

The issue has made flying extremely stressful of late!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide