Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is it OK to start a flight on a used battery?

rmb

Reaction score
Website
overexposures.net
I have been under flying my batteries. Meaning that I do many short cinematic missions so it is not uncommon for me to fly 4 sets of batteris each down only to about 50%. I was told by some folks that that will leed to battery issues down the road and in fact I just got an uneven battery voltage warning that came and went on on flight that I was told can be caused by not properly recycling the batteries by brining them down to 5-10% everyonce and a while. So, here's my question. I flew a set of batteries yesterday down to about 40%. Today I need to do about a 2 minute test shot. (Literally go up 100 ft. Shoot 10 secongs of footage and land.) What is the groups thinking about popping the used batteries in to get that shot SAFELY and at the same time bring the battery levels down further for more of a recycle?

Thanks for the help.

rmb

My battery plan is always to start the day with all batteries freshly charged and only fly for 100% if possible.

Whilst I will take off with a part charged battery I will only do this for a short time after the previous partial discharge, while the battery is still warm.

The reason for this is that a cold battery will struggle to deliver it’s power in comparison with a warm one and if you over exert a partially charged & cold battery you could suffer the consequences.

It’s also best to monitor cell voltage rather than rely too much on percentage ....

It’s also best to monitor cell voltage rather than rely too much on percentage ....
Thank you for this. I seen see conflicting advice on battery voltage caution other than of course the actual yellow color to the cells as they get low. What is the minimum cell voltage that you are comfortable flying on?

Thank you for this. I seen see conflicting advice on battery voltage caution other than of course the actual yellow color to the cells as they get low. What is the minimum cell voltage that you are comfortable flying on?

As a rough guide you should aim to be landing by 3.3v.

If I am close to the landing site in calm conditions and not needing to gain height then 3.3v is safe. However, if you are flying at some distance or windy conditions or plan to push up to gain height then 3.3v is already over cooking it!

I mostly only fly 5-6min to take some pictures of different buildings. I let the batteries sit to the next place and use them there too.
Then I take them out and put in some new fresh ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry