Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is ProRes worth it?

Reaction score
I’m posting this lengthy message and video link with hopes that this explanation can help others achieve high quality video with the Inspire 2.

The purpose of this post is to describe and demonstrate a quality comparison between video recorded on the SD card compared to the CineSSD card. Despite an extensive search on the web, I could not find a comparison that truly answered the question of whether or not shooting in ProRes 422 HQ was worth the additional cost and effort.

Background: I’ve been filming this marsh and beach over the last few months typically early in the day or late in the afternoon. With high contrast, the darker or shaded areas always appeared rather muddy or mushy (I do not know the correct term) with the Mavic Pro. I originally thought it was due to compression.

I proceeded to purchase an Inspire 2 with the X4S, and actually noted higher quality yet the muddy areas persisted.

Last month I discovered through a post on the forum that the problem was actually due to noise reduction automatically applied if the sharpness setting was 0 or below. Once I set the sharpness to +1, the video improved considerably on both the Mavic and Inspire 2 with X4S.

However, the quality was still not satisfactory. I therefore purchased an X5S, and although improved over the X4S (with the SD card), the muddy areas persisted to some degree.

Progressing along, therefore I decided to purchase the ProRes license and SSD drive, which I tested this morning.

The difference was extraordinarily apparent viewing in 4K, and clearly visible with compression to 1080P.

My settings were as follows:
Inspire 2 – X5S
SSD: 29.97, ProRes 422HQ, 4K 3840x2160, Rec 709, normal, did not use Dlog
SD: 29.97, H264, 4K 3849x2160, Rec 709, normal, did not us Dlog
The camera recorded to the SSD and the SD simultaneously (didn’t realize that this happens by default).
Sharpening was set at +1 but was only applied to the SD (it does not alter the SSD footage).

Post: FCPX sharpening (2.5) was applied only to the 422 HQ.
The same LUT (CG Falcon Wish) was applied to both videos through Color Finale.
A curves and saturation adjustment was made to the SD video to get it to closely match the mid tones.

Findings: In the attached video I placed the H264 in the superimposed window. In the darker areas, ProRes 422 HQ maintained high levels of detail with no muddiness apparent. Compared to H264, the difference is substantial. Perhaps this is due to 10 bit pixel depth with extended latitude, and markedly little compression for ProRes 422 HQ.

If you proceed frame by frame though areas of the video, you can see the difference even when compressed to 1080P.

Bottom line: if you look close, the difference to me is worth the cost. I realize it might not make a difference for everyone else. Additionally it makes no sense to me to shoot in H264 and then transcode automatically to edit in ProRes utilizing FCPX.

From a practical perspective, the CineSSD is fast with a transfer this morning of roughly 140GB in about 7 minutes. FCPX ingests and plays the video without a hiccup. This workflow to me makes more sense. The only minor downside is that the ProRes HQ video is not rectilinear (easily fixed with FCPX).

Hope this helps anyone who is trying to determine if ProRes is worth the extra cost and steps.

While the 4K version is impressive, consider downloading this dropbox link below. I suggest downloading the file rather than playing it online for better quality.

Dropbox - Beach Test422.m4v

@BarryBittman: I'll have to ingest and have a little think, haven't used 422 much, so far we've only seen to use 4444 - but that's really nice little beach right there - where's this filmed at?
Had the same issues with sharpening, but obviously that's superficial considering the big picture

Have you tried h264, overexposing by a stop or two, D-Cinelike (preserves shadows well) and sharpness 0 in X5S. This has worked ok for me in the past. I can't say that I've shot much h264 recently on X5S as I'm using RAW. I agree on mavic, h264 is very bad due to NR setting. +1 sharpness is almost a must, but I also overexposed by a stop or two and it works "decent" for travel vids.

Great post, Barry. Did you disable or remove the dropbox file? I'd like to see it. I just got my i2 with Prores/CinemaDNG too and so really appreciate this discussion (and the sample...if I can see it.).

Hello there, Thank you for such a great post.

I have been thinking about investing in the ProRes license + the hard drives.. but until now the common conception was that it was unnecessary.

I have a question for you regarding still photos. When you use the SSD to record.. are you able to record RAW stills faster than the MiniSD? I.E doing a timelapse with the miniSD you can only get 1 x RAW shot every 5 seconds. Can you get more with the SSD?

Thanks again

I have been thinking about investing in the ProRes license + the hard drives.. but until now the common conception was that it was unnecessary.

I have a question for you regarding still photos. When you use the SSD to record.. are you able to record RAW stills faster than the MiniSD? I.E doing a timelapse with the miniSD you can only get 1 x RAW shot every 5 seconds. Can you get more with the SSD?

Thanks again
You can only record stills to the ssd when using the photo burst mode. Any other mode and the stills will be saved to the microSD card (irrespective of if there's an SSD installed). It'll only record stills on the ssd if you choose to use 14+fps or infinity burst. There are no additional interval options for things like timelapse.

However, if you wanted, you could use the CinemaDNG to record a normal DNG video stream onto the SSD, then discard the frames (photos) you didn't want - basically at 24fps you'd be keeping 1 in every 24 frames (photos) if you wanted an interval of 1 Sec between shots, 1 in 48 if you wanted 2 Sec between shots etc. CinemaDNG video essentially consists of 24+ RawDNG photos per second - these can be independantly opened & edited in Lightroom/Photoshop etc.

Thanks again

The RAW stills that are written to the SSD are different than the regular RAW stills. See:

http://www.inspirepilots.com/thread...to-cinessd-creates-different-raw-files.16260/

a 200+Mbps image is ALWAYS going to look better than a 100Mbps image. the "Mud" in the shadows is compression its why you do shoot in ProRes.

I have been on the fence about upgrading to prores until now so thank you for this! Very well explained and very helpful.

Honestly if you have to ask the question then you're not at the point that you need to be shooting in ProRes

Reactions: Advexure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topproorityhealthcare