Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is the Rokinon 12mm F2.0 Lens Compatible?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Rokinon 12mm F2.0 Lens Compatible? It has decent reviews and is half the cost of the Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm. http://amazon.com/dp/B00JDGB94S

Has anyone used it? If so how are the optics and is it easy to balance?
816t3zC30rL._SL1500_.jpg

It's a manual lens so you have to set the focus and aperture before your flight. No changing it mid-flight.

I use a Rokinon 24mm f1.4 for astrophography and it's a steal at the price point. I imagine the 14mm would be just as good.

It's a manual lens so you have to set the focus and aperture before your flight. No changing it mid-flight.

I use a Rokinon 24mm f1.4 for astrophography and it's a steal at the price point. I imagine the 14mm would be just as good.
Thanks for the reply, I missed that it was a manual lens :/ no wonder it was so cheap.

It's interesting that neither the Amazon nor the B&H site specify it as manual-focus only. But Rokinon is well-known for manual-focus lenses, and the first two reviews I found mentioned it.

Reactions: Advexure
If the hood is an integral part of that lens, that could present a problem.
It could create drag that could put stress in the gimbal motors and wipe out the gimbal.

I don't think manual focus is an issue. Infinity is at just a little over 1 meter. I'm pretty sure you're not going to be flying that close to anything. As far as the manual aperture you could easily set that before flight with the histogram. You would still have control over shutter speed and ISO thru the remote. I would be more concerned about image quality than anything else. IMHO.

I guess I will see as I ordered one from Amazon and it is returnable. After I test it, I will post the results.

I guess I will see as I ordered one from Amazon and it is returnable. After I test it, I will post the results.
If you check out the specs what you find is the Rokinon comes in at a whopping 9.6oz versus 4.64oz for the Oly 12mm (I just double checked the numbers). That's a) almost double the payload weight and b) a hell of a lot to counterbalance on a gimbal...

Interesting as the specs I saw said .43 lbs which would put it in the 7oz range. Like i said I will see when it arrives if it is too heavy and cannot be balanced or stresses the gimbal motors I will return it and save up for the Oly.

Interesting as the specs I saw said .43 lbs which would put it in the 7oz range. Like i said I will see when it arrives if it is too heavy and cannot be balanced or stresses the gimbal motors I will return it and save up for the Oly.
I certainly hope you're successful with this and do share your findings. Olympus has always made some good kit but, ~$600 for the 12mm M-Zuiko seems steep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44