Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is there no "auto" mode on the camera?

Reaction score
I'm used to the GoPro on my Phantom 2, so the camera on the Inspire is a bit new to me. I actually love that the camera can be controlled from the ground, but there are some times when I'd rather not be constantly adjusting exposure for light and dark as I fly, even though it's just a wheel turn. Is there no "auto" mode on the camera? I can't seem to find one. Just P, S, and M.
I love full manual for the still shots, but for SOME videos I'd prefer to not have to adjust the camera while flying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I tried, but if I don't make adjustments manually, then it doesn't either. Go from a shady area to full sun and it so badly overexposes that the screen goes almost white. I have to keep adding and removing exposure compensation myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because of the fixed aperture the camera will have a hard time adjusting to widely different light situations. Most of us will use filters on the lens to darken the picture in bright sunlight. The camera is the weak link in this system, hoping for a gimbal to use other cameras.

Also, I noticed when taking bracketed exposures, instead of changing the shutterspeed for each shot, it changes the ISO. So, that ruins that feature. Maybe there's a setting I'm missing, I suppose I could break down and read the instructions, lol.

When viewing the camera on your tablet, just touch the area you want to dial in.

For example you're viewing an open field but the trees look dark. Touch the trees and it will automatically adjust.

Practice when in your home. Place a bunch of objects in the view in order to create shadows. Touch each object on the screen and watch the settings change.

You'll know you're doing it right when a yellow circle appears.

When viewing the camera on your tablet, just touch the area you want to dial in.

For example you're viewing an open field but the trees look dark. Touch the trees and it will automatically adjust.

Practice when in your home. Place a bunch of objects in the view in order to create shadows. Touch each object on the screen and watch the settings change.

You'll know you're doing it right when a yellow circle appears.

LOL! Auto Focus/Auto Exposure Lock.. I was like GOD or someone that has reinvented the wheeI. I was at a few weddings and showed several people this feature on their tablets and phones[emoji13][emoji13][emoji13] (Faces and Reactions) OMG PRICELESS! Yes this would be handy on the gimbal, not so much desirable yet, has room for improvements, MAYBE..

I use that feature a lot on my phone. I noticed it had it on the Inspire, but it still meant changing it mid flight as you pan past the bright sunny field into the shaded trees or back.
I'd love it to adjust automatically the way the GoPro does. Oh well. Maybe one day. Apparently an announcement isn't far away. Perhaps it will be a better camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Auto is exactly what it does by default until you go turn the manual/semi manual control yourself in the camera advanced settings page...

Auto is exactly what it does by default until you go turn the manual/semi manual control yourself in the camera advanced settings page...

Yep, except that it seems to be having no effect on the camera - at least on my unit, but I've had some odd camera issues with mine - in "auto" mode mine will blow out to almost totally white screen if it hits a sunny patch, and then be way too dark if it films a shady patch. It isn't adjusting in any way for itself. I'm having to make all the adjustments as I fly. I may as well be in Manual if it's going to need me to do all the work every time.
What I'm trying to find out is whether this is what it's supposed to do, or whether my camera is faulty. Considering that some flights it takes a half dozen attempts to get the camera to work at all, closing and reopening the app, taking the camera on and off, and generally having to frig around with it till it works, I'm starting to suspect the camera might be the problem in the equation.

Really sounds like you're in manual mode and just need to switch back to auto. Make a screen capture of your camera settings...

Reactions: Ezookiel
Will do so this afternoon. I only thought about a screen capture AFTERWARDS when I was at work - D'Oh!!
I did try switching to the S and M modes and back, but it didn't fix it.
Oh well, if the camera is dead, all the more reason in just over 5 minutes, to find out what the new announcement is at DJI that looks like it's camera related. Maybe a new camera will soon be ordered ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44