Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is this a new problem?

Reaction score
Perhaps there is already a thread for this, but I have not yet seen it. Anyway.....

All is well, the remote is on, the bird is on and linked, the app is running, all preflight checks are nominal. I try to start the video recording and the screen blinks, I briefly see the DJI logo in the center and then the picture returns, but the recording has not started. I try this several times and the same thing happens except that sometimes when the picture comes back, it resets to still picture mode. After doing this about half a dozen times, the recording finally starts properly and I fly my mission uneventfully.

I have never seen this behavior before and this is a recent, fresh install of the current DJI GO app on an iOS device.

Anyone got anything on this? Thanks!

Perhaps there is already a thread for this, but I have not yet seen it. Anyway.....

All is well, the remote is on, the bird is on and linked, the app is running, all preflight checks are nominal. I try to start the video recording and the screen blinks, I briefly see the DJI logo in the center and then the picture returns, but the recording has not started. I try this several times and the same thing happens except that sometimes when the picture comes back, it resets to still picture mode. After doing this about half a dozen times, the recording finally starts properly and I fly my mission uneventfully.

I have never seen this behavior before and this is a recent, fresh install of the current DJI GO app on an iOS device.

Anyone got anything on this? Thanks!
Ummmm...nope, never seen that before.
I would check (and double check) your gimbal mounting plate connectors.

Yup, did that already. I recently had an occurrence of the video link dropping out while still getting good flight telemetry from the AC, so I suspected the contact plate and removed/reattached the camera gimbal which seemed to fix it. I will try that procedure again to see if it has any effect on this issue. In your experience, are there any recommended dielectric substances that one might apply to enhance the effectiveness of the contacts? I haven't seen any references to that and don't want to go smearing contact grease over that area willy-nilly.

Yup, did that already. I recently had an occurrence of the video link dropping out while still getting good flight telemetry from the AC, so I suspected the contact plate and removed/reattached the camera gimbal which seemed to fix it. I will try that procedure again to see if it has any effect on this issue. In your experience, are there any recommended dielectric substances that one might apply to enhance the effectiveness of the contacts? I haven't seen any references to that and don't want to go smearing contact grease over that area willy-nilly.
Yes - I always use DeoxIT D5 both on the plate/contact pins and my media contacts as well.
Not cheap but very good - Deoxit

I assume that you've seen no negative interaction with any of the plastics used in the mount. Do you apply it directly from the aerosol can or use a swab? Also, I see that it comes in both 5% and 100% versions. Which do you recommend? Thanks!

Last edited:
I assume that you've seen no negative interaction with any of the plastics used in the mount. Do you apply it directly from the aerosol can or use a swab? Also, I see that it comes in both 5% and 100% versions. Which do you recommend? Thanks!
Zero problems - I use the 5% compound since it has a solvent for cleaning (which evaporates very quickly).
You only need the tiniest of shots and the best control is from the thin straw type applicator.
You need to spray it directly on the surface since you need the solvents to do their work.
I only spray it on the plate, then mount and unmount the gimbal a few times to get the DeoxIT on the mount pins via transfer.

Reactions: RotoRanger
Zero problems - I use the 5% compound since it has a solvent for cleaning (which evaporates very quickly).
You only need the tiniest of shots and the best control is from the thin straw type applicator.
You need to spray it directly on the surface since you need the solvents to do their work.
I only spray it on the plate, then mount and unmount the gimbal a few times to get the DeoxIT on the mount pins via transfer.
Well, the DeoxIT D5 did seem to help with the problem, but maintaining a connection with the camera is still inconsistent. I will try another application and see if that improves things. However, I did note a reaction with one of the non metal pieces on the gimbal. There is a thin plastic gasket that cushions the interface between the gimbal plate and the mount on the Inspire. Some of the Deoxit oversprayed on that (I used a very short burst at the Low setting). After a few seconds, I noticed that it had lifted up in several places and was crinkling up like a potato chip. I mounted the gimbal on the Inspire and tried to flatten it out, but it seems to have permanently warped it a bit. It has gotten a bit better since the solvent has evaporated, but the next time I use the DeoxIT, I will be careful to get it on the contacts only, probably with a foam sawb. BTW, I compared the plastic gasket to the one on my Osmo, and it is perfectly flat on the Osmo. Just wanted to report that back to the group.

Well, the DeoxIT D5 did seem to help with the problem, but maintaining a connection with the camera is still inconsistent. I will try another application and see if that improves things. However, I did note a reaction with one of the non metal pieces on the gimbal. There is a thin plastic gasket that cushions the interface between the gimbal plate and the mount on the Inspire. Some of the Deoxit oversprayed on that (I used a very short burst at the Low setting). After a few seconds, I noticed that it had lifted up in several places and was crinkling up like a potato chip. I mounted the gimbal on the Inspire and tried to flatten it out, but it seems to have permanently warped it a bit. It has gotten a bit better since the solvent has evaporated, but the next time I use the DeoxIT, I will be careful to get it on the contacts only, probably with a foam sawb. BTW, I compared the plastic gasket to the one on my Osmo, and it is perfectly flat on the Osmo. Just wanted to report that back to the group.
Hmmmm...... Must admit, not seen that issue at all but I haven't got any of it on the rubber gasket either. I have managed to keep it on the contact plate - I know it can be a bit lively out of the tube! :)

Sounds like your camera is rebooting when trying to start recording. Might want to try another SD card and/or a camera reset if the contact cleaning doesn't help.
I am having the same issue with my Inspire on an Android device. It is not the App or the pad as all works Ok with my Phantom 3, using same card cable and pad. I have changed cables, formatted cards and swapped cards all to no avail.
Kilrah, you mentioned a camera reset. How do you do this please?
Cheers...

@RotoRanger
In the firmware 1.3.0 notes, the following is mentioned:
"12. Camera View now displays the DJI logo if a video output error is detected to avoid confusion with a blank screen."

I would think that this is what is happening to you. I do not, however, know how to rectify said video output error. Maybe try that camera reset? Let us know how it turns out!

Hi all,
I have tried the camera reset and still the same. Hopefully the video upload I am attempting will work. In the video, you will notice.
  1. I turn on the video and start the record.
  2. the camera works for half a second, then freezes.
  3. You can see that I am still moving the camera down, but the screen is frozen.
  4. Eventually the app crashes and reboots. The app turns itself back into photo mode.
  5. You can then see where the camera is looking.
Cheers...

Found out that this is only an issue when I try and record in 4K. If I record in a lower setting all is Ok.
I am using quality cards.
Have been told to downgrade firmware then upgrade again.
Stay tuned...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop