Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Jostick for drones. Good idea?

A little broke down myself

Took a shot thru the chest 20 plus years ago. Had to stop playing video games, can’t sit at a desk long. Video editing is quagmire for me.
Life is still Good though

Surprisingly I can hold the RC for periods on time without my arm freaking out. Thank god for DJI

Glad you guys asked... I'm new to the forum, but I meant to post yesterday as we launched on Kickstarter. Our FT Aviator substantially reduces pilot workload by putting the primary flight controls in one hand. We can teach ourselves to become reasonably proficient with a two-thumbed gaming controller - they've been around since the 1930s according to my research - but it requires a lot more iteration, because you will sometimes under- or overshoot your input, or make an accidental input in another degree of freedom (you get a bit of yaw as you move up, for example). Our controller gives tactile feedback not just when you're inputting a command, but you also have a sense when you're not, which can be every bit as important. The amazing thing about the FT Aviator is putting it in the hands of a first time drone pilot, and then watching them do a perfect Figure 8 or inward-facing, ascending spiral within 5 minutes of a brief introduction. There are many other cool features incorporated into our controller to provide situational awareness cues, improve safety and substantially improve upon the camera control features of a typical radio. I'm happy to answer other questions, but suggest you check out our campaign at: FT Aviator: A Revolutionary Single-Handed Drone ControllerFTAviator.png

As a carrot, the first 500 backers will get 50% off.

There are already plenty of joystick flight controllers. Why is this different? I see a very niche need maybe for disabled, but those that are familiar with RC flying would prefer the good ole 2 stick controller and those that aren’t familiar with flying would only buy it because it’s a gimmick nd not really the best to fly RC

There are already plenty of joystick flight controllers. Why is this different? I see a very niche need maybe for disabled, but those that are familiar with RC flying would prefer the good ole 2 stick controller and those that aren’t familiar with flying would only buy it because it’s a gimmick nd not really the best to fly RC

Hi Steve,

We believe the FT Aviator is a quantum leap in improving pilot performance, even in skilled professional hands like yours, but watching drone racers perform it's certainly clear that incredible performance can be had with traditional controls. I just wanted to point out that our control system is a lot different than a typical gaming rotational hand controller that you're probably referring to. We put all four degrees of freedom, along with tactile feedback, into the controls, making piloting almost subconscious. We just posted a short blog post that may be helpful in better understanding what we do, and why it's going to be extremely helpful for a lot of pilots.

FT Aviator Flight Instruction in 7 Short Words: “The drone is your thumb tip. Go!” - Fluidity

Hi Steve,

We believe the FT Aviator is a quantum leap in improving pilot performance, even in skilled professional hands like yours, but watching drone racers perform it's certainly clear that incredible performance can be had with traditional controls. I just wanted to point out that our control system is a lot different than a typical gaming rotational hand controller that you're probably referring to. We put all four degrees of freedom, along with tactile feedback, into the controls, making piloting almost subconscious. We just posted a short blog post that may be helpful in better understanding what we do, and why it's going to be extremely helpful for a lot of pilots.

FT Aviator Flight Instruction in 7 Short Words: “The drone is your thumb tip. Go!” - Fluidity

Actually I could see it for drone racing. I would agree it may be beneficial for that. I don’t see it being practical here in the aerial imaging space. And I’m not sure what advantage tactile feedback would have in n this situation either. I guess I’d have to try it.

Glad you guys asked... I'm new to the forum, but I meant to post yesterday as we launched on Kickstarter. Our FT Aviator substantially reduces pilot workload by putting the primary flight controls in one hand. We can teach ourselves to become reasonably proficient with a two-thumbed gaming controller - they've been around since the 1930s according to my research - but it requires a lot more iteration, because you will sometimes under- or overshoot your input, or make an accidental input in another degree of freedom (you get a bit of yaw as you move up, for example). Our controller gives tactile feedback not just when you're inputting a command, but you also have a sense when you're not, which can be every bit as important. The amazing thing about the FT Aviator is putting it in the hands of a first time drone pilot, and then watching them do a perfect Figure 8 or inward-facing, ascending spiral within 5 minutes of a brief introduction. There are many other cool features incorporated into our controller to provide situational awareness cues, improve safety and substantially improve upon the camera control features of a typical radio. I'm happy to answer other questions, but suggest you check out our campaign at: FT Aviator: A Revolutionary Single-Handed Drone ControllerView attachment 22890

As a carrot, the first 500 backers will get 50% off.
So, how exactly does this interface with the TX and what is the resolution.
In other words, if this has 15bit resolution does it oversample and will it work all the way up to 4096 step TX's from the likes of Jeti for example?
I'm a little confused here.

I guess this is aimed at complete novices rather than seasoned/skilled RC pilots?
I cannot see the likes of Tareq Alsaadi taking up the system - in fact, it would be impossible to use for competition flying.

Anyway - wish you luck with the project.

Reactions: slim.slamma
In other words, if this has 15bit resolution does it oversample and will it work all the way up to 4096 step TX's from the likes of Jeti for example?

I guess this is aimed at complete novices rather than seasoned/skilled RC pilots?
I cannot see the likes of Tareq Alsaadi taking up the system - in fact, it would be impossible to use for competition flying.

Is that real?

You nice on the sticks/RC like that also?
Just when I thought I had some skills

That was pretty cool I never seen nothing like that before
You should share more often :)

Reactions: The Editor
The z axis control would have nowhere near the precision we need to fly the projects we fly. Sometimes we are less than a foot off the ground flying at 30 mph. And this wouldn’t work at all for racing. You have to be able to just barely, barely tickle the z axis. Racing drones are ultra sensitive in the z axis.

Actually I could see it for drone racing. I would agree it may be beneficial for that. I don’t see it being practical here in the aerial imaging space. And I’m not sure what advantage tactile feedback would have in n this situation either. I guess I’d have to try it.
Hi Steve,

Some of our most positive flight feedback has actually been from inspection pilots who require extremely fine control, axis by axis. Our tactile feedback is central to this, since if you're doing a complex, multi-axis maneuver and you need to feather out one motion while continuing the others (you're approaching your target while climbing and moving right, for example - and you want to precisely stop the lateral motion and continue on in and up...). Another aspect of our controller is the ability to adjust response curves "on the fly," which means you can go fast/coarse correction on the way out to your target, and then set it to much slower, more subtle responsiveness once you're there. We have similar adjustability available for the camera tilt responsiveness, in the event you're a cinematographer and want a smooth, jello-like tilt motion.

We hope you get a chance to check the FT Aviator out sometime and you'll see for yourself.

Onward and upward,
Scott

Reactions: licensed pilot
The z axis control would have nowhere near the precision we need to fly the projects we fly. Sometimes we are less than a foot off the ground flying at 30 mph. And this wouldn’t work at all for racing. You have to be able to just barely, barely tickle the z axis. Racing drones are ultra sensitive in the z axis.

Thanks for your note, Eric. The FT Aviator has a patented dynamic balance between your thumb and index finger to control the Z axis and, as such, is exceptionally precise and controllable. Our target market for launch are enterprise users and hobbyists using DJI platforms, rather than drone racing. That said, we do look forward to working with racing experts in making special adaptations in the future (more customization, integration with various transmitters, etc.) to take full advantage of our flight control system.

That's as impressive a display of flight as I've ever seen! That said, let's recalibrate a bit. Our first product offering, the FT Aviator, is to enhance the capabilities of DJI drone pilots flying for enterprise and fun. We aren't structured to fly FPV racing drones or RC helos (yet), but we certainly admire those who do so with such skill.

Me and my co-pilot are just discussing your product and we'd love to try it because we do quite complex flying for hq TV and film work with an Inspire 2 and we guess that flying all axis one-handed could be way easier sometimes.
Bring it on over to good old Europe! ;-)

Wish you all the best,
Oliver

Reactions: ScottAV8R
Me and my co-pilot are just discussing your product and we'd love to try it because we do quite complex flying for hq TV and film work with an Inspire 2 and we guess that flying all axis one-handed could be way easier sometimes.
Bring it on over to good old Europe! ;-)

Wish you all the best,
Oliver
Thanks, Oliver - we'll be there to support you... Stay tuned for a very relevant and exciting announcement on our Kickstarter campaign later today!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin