Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Just getting a little discouraged...

Reaction score
Website
kdactionphoto.smugmug.com
Hi all
Just a little sound off. I have been involved in this industry as a hobbyist, operator, contending for my 333, 53 year old, thick skinned, pay all my fees, type person. I am getting a little bit discouraged though with after investing time, money and more that we keep seeing more "clamps" on our ability to operate in the future. I understand the concern, but I feel once we are certified and jumped though all the hoops we should be considered responsible people who have something to offer. How can a future commercial person operate under the conditions I see being upgraded weekly? No flights within a 5 mile rad of a airport with a control tower at all? I can see criteria that we have to follow to work in the rad that is there now but no flights if you are certified and make the proper contacts, fly below a certain altitude etc.?

On a side note I contacted our control tower at our local airport which I have done before. Great person and very helpful. He mentioned a new process started by the FAA in December that we need only a blanket COA to fly and the 333 is not needed?? and I shouldn't invest in an attorney, no need...Then I mentioned about commercial which him mentioning the 333 I thought he new what I meant. His tone changed some and said that's a lot more strict. He sent me a link to the FAA site as I kind of ended my questions at that point. Like I said he seemed generally respectful especially with me calling on an airport close to me (Shear) that popped up on B4UFLY, that was never there before on the maps.....;)

My email from them..
"
Hello Kevin,

Here are some resources that might point you in the right direction:

A link to the actual UAS FAA order: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_JO_7210.889_Unmanned_Aircraft_Operations_in_the_NAS.pdf

Links to COA resources:

For COA related issues you can email the catch-all FAA UAS operator at [email protected]
If you have not done so yet, you can apply for COAs on this site: https://ioeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/Welcome.jsp

For this application you fall under "Civil" (a hobby drone is not involved in any payment for services).

I am also attaching a briefing guide in PPT format that is a rundown of everything from the PDF linked above.

If this does not answer all of your questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,"

Last edited:
"He mentioned a new process started by the FAA in December that we need only a blanket COA to fly and the 333 is not needed??"

I wasn't sure you understood or perhaps the FAA guy wasn't up to speed (not uncommon on the UAS issue)

If you are going to fly commercially you do need to apply for a section 333 exemption. It comes with a blanket COA, restricted to 200 feet(?)
Hi all
Just a little sound off. I have been involved in this industry as a hobbyist, operator, contending for my 333, 53 year old, thick skinned, pay all my fees, type person. I am getting a little bit discouraged though with after investing time, money and more that we keep seeing more "clamps" on our ability to operate in the future. I understand the concern, but I feel once we are certified and jumped though all the hoops we should be considered responsible people who have something to offer. How can a future commercial person operate under the conditions I see being upgraded weekly? No flights within a 5 mile rad of a airport with a control tower at all? I can see criteria that we have to follow to work in the rad that is there now but no flights if you are certified and make the proper contacts, fly below a certain altitude etc.?

On a side note I contacted our control tower at our local airport which I have done before. Great person and very helpful. He mentioned a new process started by the FAA in December that we need only a blanket COA to fly and the 333 is not needed?? and I shouldn't invest in an attorney, no need...Then I mentioned about commercial which him mentioning the 333 I thought he new what I meant. His tone changed some and said that's a lot more strict. He sent me a link to the FAA site as I kind of ended my questions at that point. Like I said he seemed generally respectful especially with me calling on an airport close to me (Shear) that popped up on B4UFLY, that was never there before on the maps.....;)

My email from them..
"
Hello Kevin,

Here are some resources that might point you in the right direction:

A link to the actual UAS FAA order: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_JO_7210.889_Unmanned_Aircraft_Operations_in_the_NAS.pdf

Links to COA resources:

For COA related issues you can email the catch-all FAA UAS operator at [email protected]
If you have not done so yet, you can apply for COAs on this site: https://ioeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/Welcome.jsp

For this application you fall under "Civil" (a hobby drone is not involved in any payment for services).

I am also attaching a briefing guide in PPT format that is a rundown of everything from the PDF linked above.

If this does not answer all of your questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,"
HI, just making sure you are up to speed on this, perhaps the FAA guy didn't explain it well. IF you want to fly a UAS commercially you must have a Section 333 exemption. The 333 comes with a blanket COA, limited to 200 feet (?). The bottom line is that you must have a 333 to fly commercially.

LP

I know about the 333 and the process, even though it keeps changing. We are listed on the FAA site. That is exactly how he explained it to me, because he thought we were only hobby flyers as stated above. If you read some of the 333 exemptions that people have off the FAA site the altitude on was listed at 400' also. I talked to him by phone and he emailed me the links back.
The reason for my call to them was a close grass runway "airport" that showed up on B4UFLY app that isn't listed on the DJI site for reasons of its size, probably. B4UFLY says I have to call that airport for clearance to fly. Talking to the control tower he mentioned I didn't have to call them. I did anyway with the number I got off the Airport listing and the number was disconnected and not in use....;) Thanks!

LP

I know about the 333 and the process, even though it keeps changing. We are listed on the FAA site. That is exactly how he explained it to me, because he thought we were only hobby flyers as stated above. If you read some of the 333 exemptions that people have off the FAA site the altitude on was listed at 400' also. I talked to him by phone and he emailed me the links back. Thanks!
Thank you. The blanket COA that comes with the 333 is very specific.
LP

I know about the 333 and the process, even though it keeps changing. We are listed on the FAA site. That is exactly how he explained it to me, because he thought we were only hobby flyers as stated above. If you read some of the 333 exemptions that people have off the FAA site the altitude on was listed at 400' also. I talked to him by phone and he emailed me the links back.
The reason for my call to them was a close grass runway "airport" that showed up on B4UFLY app that isn't listed on the DJI site for reasons of its size, probably. B4UFLY says I have to call that airport for clearance to fly. Talking to the control tower he mentioned I didn't have to call them. I did anyway with the number I got off the Airport listing and the number was disconnected and not in use....;) Thanks!
All 333 come with a blanket COA:

"As of March 23, 2015, the FAA will automatically grant a "blanket" COA for flights at or below 200 feet to any UAS operator with a Section 333 exemption, provided the aircraft weighs less than 55 pounds, operations are conducted during daytime Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions within visual-line-of-sight (VLOS) of the pilot, and certain distances away from airports or heliports."

Operators wanting to fly outside the COA, i.e., higher than 200 feet must submit a request for another COA.

Reactions: kcobello
If you have a 333 you must either have a sport pilots license/ pilots license or have someone that has a pilot's license to fly your bird commercially.

Hey, I'm just a hobbyist at his point and I do obey the FAA's flight regulations as I should. I have my FAA registration # also. I am taking UAV Ground School and hope to apply and pass the UAV commercial certification if they ever provide us a certification. In 2013 I began flying my Phantom to inspect environmental impact areas and wastewater discharge sites. My company has a very real need to use the drone to help protect our environment, however, I grounded our program in Sept. 2015 to comply with the FAA. We are being patient and hope the commercial certification will come soon. Hiring a pilot to fly for us is not cost effective so we wait patiently.......

Hey, I'm just a hobbyist at his point and I do obey the FAA's flight regulations as I should. I have my FAA registration # also. I am taking UAV Ground School and hope to apply and pass the UAV commercial certification if they ever provide us a certification. In 2013 I began flying my Phantom to inspect environmental impact areas and wastewater discharge sites. My company has a very real need to use the drone to help protect our environment, however, I grounded our program in Sept. 2015 to comply with the FAA. We are being patient and hope the commercial certification will come soon. Hiring a pilot to fly for us is not cost effective so we wait patiently.......
Why did you ground it?

I like this and enrolled in one myself.

OK Guys,
Go to AtlantaHobby.com (A great organization, The owner, Cliff, is great to deal with) and enroll in the UAV Ground School. You will be impressed and will learn a great deal to help prepare you for the commercial FAA certification.

Reactions: kcobello

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44