Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Kickstarter to fund drones in whale research (featuring Patrick Stewart!)

Reaction score
Great idea.
But "Snotbot?" Needs work....if the government were to do this it might be called Cetaceous Exhalation Capture System. CECS. Or something like that. Bonus points for the most contrived acronym.

Great idea.
But "Snotbot?" Needs work....if the government were to do this it might be called Cetaceous Exhalation Capture System. CECS. Or something like that. Bonus points for the most contrived acronym.

Excellent concept and a very good cause. Though, I must admit, that though I have an extremely wild imagination, I would have never, ever imagined a drone to collect whale snot.

That's funny; I think of my drone as a hammer, and I spend all day looking for nails. If someone had told you, "we need a way to collect whale snot that doesn't stress the animals," wouldn't your first thought have been, "My drone could do it!"?

Actually. ...I never new that the whale blow hole expulsions was mucus. The things you learn.....

Excellent project, however over open sea I would use drone with more rotors. Here in East Africa simple drones used for research on crane birds (Rwanda) and as possible tool to keep elephants/buffalos out of fields and villages (Kenya). Kenya drones also able to drop chili powder :)

At the kick-off party, they showed off the drone they had chosen. It's a hex-rotor with waterproofing, and the camera inside a bubble. When it lands on the surface, the camera is below the water line, so it can see into the water as well. I will ask Iain what the model is.

It cannot, unfortunately, drop chili powder.

I have shared this with many friends on Social Media a few weeks ago and quite frankly was amazed at the response I received. Over 60% of my friends, supported it at some level. Great cause.

Good news: they made their goal, and the project is on! Thanks to you and your friends for supporting the Ocean Alliance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth