Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Latest Firmware Update - 4 March - RC, Aircraft & Batteries

Reaction score
After the last issue with Firmware Updates for the batteries, I am posting my experience with the latest updates. When I went for a fly today (2.00pm Melbourne Australia time - 4 March), I was advised a firmware update was necessary. I proceeded to do this once I returned home. The update was for the RC, aircraft and my 3 sets of batteries. I did the RC first, with the iPad connected to the RC and a good WiFi signal, and all went well. I next did the aircraft and was advised during the update process to connect my iPad directly to the aircraft using the USB port on the starboard side of the aircraft and put the switch, just above the USB port, into the "up" position. All continued to go well and I noticed some text on the iPad that the batteries were being updated. Once everything went successfully, I simply changed to next pair of batteries with the iPad still connected to the aircraft and received a message about incompatible firmware. I acknowledged this on the iPad and the batteries were then updated, in about a minute. Exactly the same for third set of batteries.

I had no problems at all. My current versions are Aircraft 01.00.0240, RC 01.00.0110, RAW Module 01.32.49.98 and Camera (X4S) 01.02.15.04. My App is version 4.0.4.

A quick test flight and all is well.

Good luck

After the last issue with Firmware Updates for the batteries, I am posting my experience with the latest updates. When I went for a fly today (2.00pm Melbourne Australia time - 4 March), I was advised a firmware update was necessary. I proceeded to do this once I returned home. The update was for the RC, aircraft and my 3 sets of batteries. I did the RC first, with the iPad connected to the RC and a good WiFi signal, and all went well. I next did the aircraft and was advised during the update process to connect my iPad directly to the aircraft using the USB port on the starboard side of the aircraft and put the switch, just above the USB port, into the "up" position. All continued to go well and I noticed some text on the iPad that the batteries were being updated. Once everything went successfully, I simply changed to next pair of batteries with the iPad still connected to the aircraft and received a message about incompatible firmware. I acknowledged this on the iPad and the batteries were then updated, in about a minute. Exactly the same for third set of batteries.

I had no problems at all. My current versions are Aircraft 01.00.0240, RC 01.00.0110, RAW Module 01.32.49.98 and Camera (X4S) 01.02.15.04. My App is version 4.0.4.

A quick test flight and all is well.

Good luck

How did you get the iPad to work direct via the USB port? I switched to as you did and it didn't nothing. so used the assistant 2 application

How did you get the iPad to work direct via the USB port? I switched to as you did and it didn't nothing. so used the assistant 2 application
As I was doing the update, I had the RC with my iPad attached in the usual way (via the USB port on the rear of the RC) and after awhile I was prompted, with a diagram on the iPad, to reconnect the iPad to the aircraft and have the switch in the up position. Once I did this the update continued "normally". With the same configuration, I was able to easily update the batteries, once the aircraft update concluded successfully.

When I first turned on the RC, aircraft and iPad (in that order) I was advised both the RC and aircraft needed updating. By chance I updated the RC first and then the aircraft, with the above method.

when you upgrade the firmware, did you leave connected the camera (x5S for me)or without the camera attached?

when you upgrade the firmware, did you leave connected the camera (x5S for me)or without the camera attached?
My camera was attached. I noticed a number of terms appearing during the update process that were camera related. Unfortunately I did't recall what they were, I only glanced at the iPad as I was working on other things.

My camera was attached. I noticed a number of terms appearing during the update process that were camera related. Unfortunately I did't recall what they were, I only glanced at the iPad as I was working on other things.
thanks for your reply,i going to uploaded today

thanks for your reply,i going to uploaded today
I wouldnt...

OP... have you flown and taken video since the update? Does your camera make a terrible noise after the initial startup?

LOTS of us are having issues with this firmware.

I wouldnt...

OP... have you flown and taken video since the update? Does your camera make a terrible noise after the initial startup?

LOTS of us are having issues with this firmware.

What kind of noise?? Is it a high pitch wining sound as its rotated? Can you video it for us to hear

What kind of noise?? Is it a high pitch wining sound as its rotated? Can you video it for us to hear
It's the upper gimbal motor going nuts... it also makes a terrible noise that DJI claims is *normal* (lmfao).

There's other videos out there, look around the forums, lots are having issues. DJI is working quick to hide these though, as any issues posted on their page are being scrubbed.

It's the upper gimbal motor going nuts... it also makes a terrible noise that DJI claims is *normal* (lmfao).

There's other videos out there, look around the forums, lots are having issues. DJI is working quick to hide these though, as any issues posted on their page are being scrubbed.

Yup....supposedly **normal*** [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

And if you grab the AC and manually YAW it, listen to the top motor, it sounds bad.

IMHO, I think DJI has the gimbal PID settings tuned fairly aggressively to ensure stability throughout the inspires intended flight envelope, which can be pretty extreme.
Micro vibrations and some gimbal wining is a result of this.
Don't forget, the gimbal is always hunting to match reference and feedback loops for that "perfect spot". Its a balancing act.
Put one finger lightly on the yaw motor where you feel the vibration, and with the other hand slightly yaw the camera only for a second or two. Does the vibration go away??
My guess is it will, but I have been wrong before:)

Reactions: EDDSkitz
IMHO, I think DJI has the gimbal PID settings tuned fairly aggressively to ensure stability throughout the inspires intended flight envelope, which can be pretty extreme.
Micro vibrations and some gimbal wining is a result of this.
Don't forget, the gimbal is always hunting to match reference and feedback loops for that "perfect spot". Its a balancing act.
Put one finger lightly on the yaw motor where you feel the vibration, and with the other hand slightly yaw the camera only for a second or two. Does the vibration go away??
My guess is it will, but I have been wrong before:)
You are correct, and I don't disagree with your findings..... however, it did not do this before, and my video was fine aside from jello because of the red prop issue.

However, now lots of us have shaky video, and the motor sounds like it's gonna burn out now.

For what it's worth I did the update when it first came out and followed the instructions the update gave me, similar to the OP. All went well. Took it for a flight yesterday to test the CSG on tap fly and all worked well. I did do an imu calibration as well as a front and lower sensor calibration for good measure. I did the update with the x5s attached. The start up noise did seem a little louder, but after it finished it seem to sound like before. I'll post a video with the sound of my gimbal just to compare with others

All motors are "slightly" different, so maybe DJI will have to do more PID adjustments. However, if your motors aren't getting too warm, I would not worry about it myself unless you can actually see the vibration in your video.
They obviously did do something to fix the gimbal rattle issue some have talked about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide