Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Launching from a cargo ship

Reaction score
Website
www.zuraproductions.com
Anybody have any experience launching / landing a drone from a large ocean-going container or tanker ship? I have a client (a shipping company) who wants me to do that, but I'm afraid there's too much interference and steel. I'm suggesting that we shoot from a work boat trailing the ship from astern.

Anybody have any experience launching / landing a drone from a large ocean-going container or tanker ship? I have a client (a shipping company) who wants me to do that, but I'm afraid there's too much interference and steel. I'm suggesting that we shoot from a work boat trailing the ship from astern.
I think using the search function would be useful.... (Although some are for the I1, the principles are the same).
However, the I2 can be more stubborn with dual magnetometers.

i've done a ton of work on ships with lots of metal. After a while djs's firmware brings a lot of magnet interference, but you can lunch the drone with someone holding the drone, it works sometimes (70% of times), turn it on when its up and then just fly.

Best choice is having a support boat to fly the drone, but if you don't have one you can try taking off from handheld.

what i have done sometimes, and i only recommend if you have a LOT of experience, and in LAST case, is to find a place with some space to take off at least 4m each side... you gonna turn on the drone and right after you turn on the drone and he beeps the dji's beep, turn on the motors (don't lunch it yet... wait for the gps, don't turn off the motors...and after the gps, lunch it. Still gonna have interference but after you go further a little from the ship...it will go off the warnings. and when you are going to land, go to the same spot.

REMEMBER:to fly over the sea, you need the GPS MODULE (is best to have one for the drone to mark RTH points near you. Still you can do that manually but it is a pain in the *** to do manually). Vision sensor off and try to take off and land with minimum of acceleration from the ship.

Good luck! (i think you already did the job, but i hope i said something new here)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I boarded the cargo ship underway and powered up my Phantom 4 Pro on the bridge wing (did not bring my Inspire Pro). Got the expected strong magnetic interference, so I did not risk taking off (there was no room at all on the aft deck, as the ship was fully loaded with containers. I had additional shots to get with GoPro's, so the trip was not a total bust. The following week, the client provided a work boat to launch from, so I got the drone shots that way.

Reactions: nandoarr
Thanks for all the suggestions. I boarded the cargo ship underway and powered up my Phantom 4 Pro on the bridge wing (did not bring my Inspire Pro). Got the expected strong magnetic interference, so I did not risk taking off (there was no room at all on the aft deck, as the ship was fully loaded with containers. I had additional shots to get with GoPro's, so the trip was not a total bust. The following week, the client provided a work boat to launch from, so I got the drone shots that way.

Cool! At least they arranged a support boat to shoot. ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD