Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lipo Battery Sweet Smell

Reaction score
I was perusing the FB forums and saw a post where one had mentioned the sweet smell of a lipo. Another said find it and make sure it is not punctured or damaged. He did look and it was neither, but some said to get rid of the battery since the sweet smell of the lipo means something is wrong with the inner workings of the battery. Well every time i open my GPC case that hold my 10 batteries I have that sweet smell, not over powering but noticeable. All of my batteries are in tip top shape with one older one having maybe 12 to 15 flights on it. They all show that they are holding good charges in the app and I have never got any kind of funny warning or drop in voltage when I have been flying.
For you guys that have been in the lipo scene for a long time is this the "usual" smell that is associated with 10 batteries that would be kept all together as I have them?

Attachments

• batteries in GPC.JPG
    batteries in GPC.JPG
    431.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I was perusing the FB forums and saw a post where one had mentioned the sweet smell of a lipo. Another said find it and make sure it is not punctured or damaged. He did look and it was neither, but some said to get rid of the battery since the sweet smell of the lipo means something is wrong with the inner workings of the battery. Well every time i open my GPC case that hold my 10 batteries I have that sweet smell, not over powering but noticeable. All of my batteries are in tip top shape with one older one having maybe 12 to 15 flights on it. They all show that they are holding good charges in the app and I have never got any kind of funny warning or drop in voltage when I have been flying.
For you guys that have been in the lipo scene for a long time is this the "usual" smell that is associated with 10 batteries that would be kept all together as I have them?
Are you absolutely sure it is not ONE of your batteries giving off the smell?
R/C lipo packs are not vented so should not be giving off any kind of odor.
This could mean one of your packs is ruptured but not enough to cause issues YET!
I would be very cautious and try and determine if it is one pack. If it is, I would dispose of it carefully.
Problem with that is, the usual way to dispose of a lipo is to discharge it completely down to zero volts which renders them inert. Of course, thanks to DJI we can't actually do that as they cut off at circa 3.3.v per cell. :rolleyes:
Best option would probably be the salt water bath method for a few days.

Yes, in my experience large batteries kept for some time in a closed case will always smell a bit, especially when new (probably residues from the factory on the cell envelopes, not venting). Love the smell by the way :p

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm pretty sure that it is due to having all of the batteries together in the case, with the case shut at times. I ran 6 of the 10 tonight, even picked the ones that I would think would be suspect due to usage, and nada. However with these batteries do all cells discharge equally? I did notice on one that the 1st and last cell seemed to be lower then the middle 4 cells. not by much, but it was lower.

This cannot be good to breath in, is it bad for health? I open my inspire one case and get blasted with the odder that I would think is health damaging and avoid breathing it in. until it dissipates

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool