Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Litchi Waypoint with Inspire 2 - poor accuracy

Reaction score
Read several I2 & Litchi posts, some mixed or contradictory.
I’ve noticed pretty accurate consistent GPS comparing visual vs map using the DJI apps. Have tried using Litchi app, seemed to work pretty good with MavicPro but a lot of variance with I2 and I1... not certain on I1, may be confusing with I2 missions.

Edited - Added - I used the I1 this evening. Much better results, and the App holds the Yaw of Camera (testing w Z3) steady with camera locked forward. Much more consistent in flight and route; just an oddity getting camera positioned at start up. This setup is functional, I’d like to see the I2 operate similar.

In testing for Realty & Construction site work, using my home as test site, Setup a waypoint mission on bench (non flight), flew with Mavic a few times to test with a lower cost Bird. Set I2 onto mission and it rapidly changes bird placement on each test flight.... like shifting mission plan route over 20-30 feet offset, thus changing a Ft door or Patio waypoint focused shot into a roof shot.. in addition the I2 X5S didn’t always the aim lens to the multiple waypoints, was often pointing outside of mission. Performing multiple flights, produced multiple different videos. Tried all 3 gimbal options, not a significant difference.

Question, Would the I2 RC add-on GPS module correct this problem, or is it just used for dynamic changing of home point? Is this a trait of Litchi when used with I2? My confidence to use Litchi App is low, had a few aborts in mid-route not certain of path and trees/roof.
Is there a better App? I was focused on Litchi because it’s currently the sole app for iOS, Android and Amazon for CrystalSky. Thought ability to make missions and download the files on any device would be a nice benefit.

The current functionality does not provide consistent accurate results, not able to use multiple times as the structure is built or seasonal views.

Last edited:
Read several I2 & Litchi posts, some mixed or contradictory.
I’ve noticed pretty accurate consistent GPS comparing visual vs map using the DJI apps. Have tried using Litchi app, seemed to work pretty good with MavicPro but a lot of variance with I2 and I1... not certain on I1, may be confusing with I2 missions.

Edited - Added - I used the I1 this evening. Much better results, and the App holds the Yaw of Camera (testing w Z3) steady with camera locked forward. Much more consistent in flight and route; just an oddity getting camera positioned at start up. This setup is functional, I’d like to see the I2 operate similar.

In testing for Realty & Construction site work, using my home as test site, Setup a waypoint mission on bench (non flight), flew with Mavic a few times to test with a lower cost Bird. Set I2 onto mission and it rapidly changes bird placement on each test flight.... like shifting mission plan route over 20-30 feet offset, thus changing a Ft door or Patio waypoint focused shot into a roof shot.. in addition the I2 X5S didn’t always the aim lens to the multiple waypoints, was often pointing outside of mission. Performing multiple flights, produced multiple different videos. Tried all 3 gimbal options, not a significant difference.

Question, Would the I2 RC add-on GPS module correct this problem, or is it just used for dynamic changing of home point? Is this a trait of Litchi when used with I2? My confidence to use Litchi App is low, had a few aborts in mid-route not certain of path and trees/roof.
Is there a better App? I was focused on Litchi because it’s currently the sole app for iOS, Android and Amazon for CrystalSky. Thought ability to make missions and download the files on any device would be a nice benefit.

The current functionality does not provide consistent accurate results, not able to use multiple times as the structure is built or seasonal views.
Try contacting Litchi direct - they are very good at responding.

I don't think that the GPS Module add-on for the I2 will improve anything for you, it's function is solely to provide a GPS location for the RC unit to allow for more accurate/dynamic home point updates.

With respect to alternatives, if you're using an iOS device, there's Autopilot, though as i've never used it, i can't say how good or bad it is.

Try contacting Litchi direct - they are very good at responding.
I did send Litchi a few support emails. Regarding the I2 X5S camera position, they responded that there currently isn't a correction within their software yet.

I followed up with GPS accuracy question, no response yet.

JUL 09, 2018 | 11:12AM UTC
Litchi replied:
Hi,
We don’t have a fix for this issue yet. DJI still hasn’t given us feedback on how to fix it or if they will fix it in an update.
There is also no beta for crystalsky.
Kind Regards,
Litchi
JUL 08, 2018 | 08:08PM UTC
Original message
dougcjohn wrote:
Hello,
Attempting to get the I2 X5S gimbal to work correctly on Waypoint missions.
Currently it points in wrong direction.

I don't think that the GPS Module add-on for the I2 will improve anything for you, it's function is solely to provide a GPS location for the RC unit to allow for more accurate/dynamic home point updates.

With respect to alternatives, if you're using an iOS device, there's Autopilot, though as i've never used it, i can't say how good or bad it is.
I agree with you, that was the way I understood the add-on GPS module. It helped the RC and Dynamic Home Point. Not knowing all the I2 tidbits, I wasn't sure if this component helped the positioning of the I2 as well, like in essence a low level RTK ground point that communicated information back to the I2.

I have the very same issue with my gimbal pointing away from the POI's in the waypoint mission. I have the latest firmware on my I2 and the latest version of Litchi. The camera would lock at almost 45 degrees to the right of center throughout the entire mission.

I have the very same issue with my gimbal pointing away from the POI's in the waypoint mission. I have the latest firmware on my I2 and the latest version of Litchi. The camera would lock at almost 45 degrees to the right of center throughout the entire mission.

I'm seeing something pretty much the same with my I2, although in my case the Gimble Yaw Mode keeps changing to Free (Inspire) from Follow. Manually changing it back to Follow only sticks for a short period of time before the camera points off some direction. In my case I am not using POIs, just simply wanting the camera to remain stationary....

Sometimes I wonder if the I2 is safe to use with Litchi. I will recheck to see if my gimbal yaw is changing to "Inspire (Free)" during the missions instead of staying on "Follow".

Sometimes I wonder if the I2 is safe to use with Litchi. I will recheck to see if my gimbal yaw is changing to "Inspire (Free)" during the missions instead of staying on "Follow".
Mine did, I attempted to set it and it would return... I thought each time I restarted the app or simply re-opened the settings.

I'm not using Litchi with I2 now... basically useless on POI Waypoint mission for Realty or construction sites. As an additional disappointment, the M210 is not supported either so sharing flight missions was a loss too.

I've been experimenting with several, looking for wide compatibility, waypoints, POI w Waypoints, grid, etc.

Recently looked at POI Flight Plan, FPV Camera, Map Pilot, DJI GS Pro, PercisionFlight and the strongest AutoPilot. They all have some catching features... but I think AutoPilot may be the focus. FPV Camera has some nice features and supports X5S with no issues, as well as FlightPlan. I think FlightPlan may be a great app, but having a hard time fully understanding it so far... poor documenatation and developer is a bit slow to respond.

Reactions: Dronescape Imagery
Mine did, I attempted to set it and it would return... I thought each time I restarted the app or simply re-opened the settings.

I'm not using Litchi with I2 now... basically useless on POI Waypoint mission for Realty or construction sites. As an additional disappointment, the M210 is not supported either so sharing flight missions was a loss too.

I've been experimenting with several, looking for wide compatibility, waypoints, POI w Waypoints, grid, etc.

Recently looked at POI Flight Plan, FPV Camera, Map Pilot, DJI GS Pro, PercisionFlight and the strongest AutoPilot. They all have some catching features... but I think AutoPilot may be the focus. FPV Camera has some nice features and supports X5S with no issues, as well as FlightPlan. I think FlightPlan may be a great app, but having a hard time fully understanding it so far... poor documenatation and developer is a bit slow to respond.

I think I will try out Autopilot today..it looks pretty good. Regarding the Litchi Inspire 2 Gimble Yaw issue, I swear it wasn’t a problem when it was straight line mode. I’ll check it out today. I can’t recall how curved segments work out of range...

Reactions: WildlifeDrones
I think I will try out Autopilot today..it looks pretty good. Regarding the Litchi Inspire 2 Gimble Yaw issue, I swear it wasn’t a problem when it was straight line mode. I’ll check it out today. I can’t recall how curved segments work out of range...

Well I was wrong...straight or curved it doesn't matter. I installed AutoPilot and will try it out later this afternoon...

Reactions: Dronescape Imagery
Well I was wrong...straight or curved it doesn't matter. I installed AutoPilot and will try it out later this afternoon...

Good Luck with AutoPilot, be interested hearing your outcome. I’m wasn’t familiar with AutoPilot other than knowing of AutoPilot; I’ve been reading their online manual & videos. Sounds like it’s probably the control station I’ve been looking for in supporting all the DJI birds, including M600 & M210 and associated Cameras & Gimbals. I’ll have a better understanding in near future, but it’s currently head & shoulders above Litchi for the 360 Gimbal Cameras and Matrices 200 & 600’s.

Litchi was a good product with Mavic & I1, but even I1 with X5R had issues. Discussions with their tech support appear to not be highly motivated to improve... or at least share news.

The AutoPilot self developed main control module vs using the DJI “hooks” to interface with DJI’s control module apparently add/enhance several features.

Good Luck with AutoPilot, be interested hearing your outcome. I’m wasn’t familiar with AutoPilot other than knowing of AutoPilot; I’ve been reading their online manual & videos. Sounds like it’s probably the control station I’ve been looking for in supporting all the DJI birds, including M600 & M210 and associated Cameras & Gimbals. I’ll have a better understanding in near future, but it’s currently head & shoulders above Litchi for the 360 Gimbal Cameras and Matrices 200 & 600’s.

Litchi was a good product with Mavic & I1, but even I1 with X5R had issues. Discussions with their tech support appear to not be highly motivated to improve... or at least share news.

The AutoPilot self developed main control module vs using the DJI “hooks” to interface with DJI’s control module apparently add/enhance several features.

My experience with Autopilot was mixed. The gimbal didn't seem possessed, however it was a totally different feel than Litchi. I had to acknowledge three no-fly zones that are nowhere near me and confirm some preflight checklists. Waypoint path creation was pretty easy, although I do prefer using my laptop and browser (Litchi Mission Hub) versus my Ipad Pro. I was somewhat surprised that Autopilot has no automated landing control either (as in no means of landing the drone). Overall I found Litchi to be better suited for my hobby use, but I have a feeling it could be a long time before the gimbal issue is resolved.

My experience with Autopilot was mixed. The gimbal didn't seem possessed, however it was a totally different feel than Litchi. I had to acknowledge three no-fly zones that are nowhere near me and confirm some preflight checklists. Waypoint path creation was pretty easy, although I do prefer using my laptop and browser (Litchi Mission Hub) versus my Ipad Pro. I was somewhat surprised that Autopilot has no automated landing control either (as in no means of landing the drone). Overall I found Litchi to be better suited for my hobby use, but I have a feeling it could be a long time before the gimbal issue is resolved.
Thanks for taking your time doing this testing. I guess I’ll just have to wait for Litchi to get off their behinds and make things right.

Great update, thanks. I would agree, the Litchi Hub on a computer was a nice feature and I'd like to see that function on AutoPilot. Basically all the other flight consoles I've examined are on the iPad for all work flow, no Computer offline work. Within their training videos, they do mention based on a request by SAR Pilots the need for computer transferred flight missions. There is a option to accept KMZ / KML files from Google Earth Pro. Question, I haven't tried the Litchi from Google, could that produce the files for AutoPilot? It is noted, at least the version I'm reading that the altitude does not transfer over and it starts at a 100' setting requiring a tweak.

The Autopilot's flight console was a bit different, I like a PIP view and the only 2 view (Map & Camera) is a 2 Pane that won't adjust in height, so you're scrolling the map a lot. The alternate method was 1 full toggle view of either camera or map, this nice size but I'd like a PIP instead.

Glad to hear you thought the waypoint was easy to setup, I haven't tried it yet other than bench and watching their videos.
You mentioned no feature for "automated landing", on their Waypoint mode (not sure about other modes) they do have a automated landing option when mission complete. They show it in the videos, but I think it's an "action" for the last waypoint not within the normal settings. I was also surprised to see they have multiple options for Grid & Pattern in the waypoints, but it's not evident until you make a loop waypoint... draw a circle around a field to get options. Currently they are the most feature rich option, and they're options have several additional sub-features not found or provided on other flight control consoles.

The new AutoPilot version does a nice job of auto-detection of Drone... I attached a I1, I2, M210, M600 and it correctly identified each one.

If Litchi would support the 360 gimbal cameras and new DJI platforms better, I'd prefer Litchi's workflow & screens.

Last edited:
HELLO. SOMEONE HAS USED INSPIRE 2 WITH LITCHI?
Hello, This thread is a year old... so responses may be a bit slow.
Last year there were some issues with I2 and the gimbal control in Litchi.
Several versions of Litchi have been released since this thread's timeline and using an I2 is functioning fine.
I'm not sure if the X7 camera is supported but the X5S & X4S are both supported.
You should find Litchi works nicely with an Inspire 2.

You also note this thread mentions AutoPilot.
It had many unique features, many preferred AutoPilot over Litchi but since this thread's 2018 timeline AutoPilot has apparently ceased development, not providing updates or responding to support requests. It'll work as designed for older platforms but any new platforms will not be included.

Reactions: axelz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla