Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Loosing connection with RC during flight

Reaction score
During my maiden flight with the inspire 1, every time I reached a distance of around 350 meters with an altitude of 120 meters I lost connection to the RC and the inspire went into the return to home mode, the firmware on both the Inspire and the RC were up to date, an IMU and Compass calibration had been carried out on site, I was flying with another inspire user (not simultaneously) who was achieving over 500 meters, we were flying LOS on a clear day. We were both at a loss over why I couldn't fly further, I was using my iPad Air 2 on WiFi hot spotted to my mobile phone, could the phone in my pocket which is a blue tooth device be interfering with the RC signal.

During my maiden flight with the inspire 1, every time I reached a distance of around 350 meters with an altitude of 120 meters I lost connection to the RC and the inspire went into the return to home mode, the firmware on both the Inspire and the RC were up to date, an IMU and Compass calibration had been carried out on site, I was flying with another inspire user (not simultaneously) who was achieving over 500 meters, we were flying LOS on a clear day. We were both at a loss over why I couldn't fly further, I was using my iPad Air 2 on WiFi hot spotted to my mobile phone, could the phone in my pocket which is a blue tooth device be interfering with the RC signal.
You should not have experienced any problems at the height and distance you quoted. Were you in direct line of sight with no obstructions? Were you facing the aircraft with the RC antenna vertical and parallel to one another? Try without the phone wifi tethering.

You should not have experienced any problems at the height and distance you quoted. Were you in direct line of sight with no obstructions? Were you facing the aircraft with the RC antenna vertical and parallel to one another? Try without the phone wifi tethering.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I was line of site, clear of any obstructions, very flat ground and the antennas on the RC were correctly positioned as you described and facing the aircraft, I needed the wifi tethering for the map display, I have seen posts on this forum advising using phone for hotspot when the tablet is wifi only. The mystery was why someone using the same set up was experiencing no problem at all.

@Cjvw the reason for suggesting switching off the wifi is that it and the RC-aircraft control link operate on 2.4GHz. You can cache the map before going out or before flying (switch on option in menu). That said, I was operating at the weekend tethered out to 500m. If you have a second RC I would try that or borrow your friends. Get you friend to try your RC on his aircraft. This will help isolate a fault in your RC or aircraft.

@Cjvw the reason for suggesting switching off the wifi is that it and the RC-aircraft control link operate on 2.4GHz. You can cache the map before going out or before flying (switch on option in menu). That said, I was operating at the weekend tethered out to 500m. If you have a second RC I would try that or borrow your friends. Get you friend to try your RC on his aircraft. This will help isolate a fault in your RC or aircraft.
Thanks again Scotflieger, I have got the duel RC (the second one still in box unused) so I will link it to the inspire as the master RC, then try it with and without wifi tethering the tablet, I'll also try the suspect one out on my friends aircraft, if I can't get to the bottom of it I'll contact Heliguy whome I purchased off,only two weeks ago. Thanks again for your help

Thanks again Scotflieger, I have got the duel RC (the second one still in box unused) so I will link it to the inspire as the master RC, then try it with and without wifi tethering the tablet, I'll also try the suspect one out on my friends aircraft, if I can't get to the bottom of it I'll contact Heliguy whome I purchased off,only two weeks ago. Thanks again for your help
You are very welcome. Heliguy will get you sorted out once you pinned down the problem, You should certainly get far better performance than you are seeing.

At that height and in open flat terrain you should be getting 1.6km/1m without even breaking a sweat (assuming it was legal to fly those distances :cool:).
As suggested, try another remote and everything in airplane mode.
Another point (although at 400 feet it should be irrelevant) - where you flying full forward at the time? This has the effect of tilting the aircraft and thus the antennas at a more acute angle to the ground.

Reactions: eldorado
At that height and in open flat terrain you should be getting 1.6km/1m without even breaking a sweat (assuming it was legal to fly those distances :cool:).
As suggested, try another remote and everything in airplane mode.
Another point (although at 400 feet it should be irrelevant) - where you flying full forward at the time? This has the effect of tilting the aircraft and thus the antennas at a more acute angle to the ground.
Thanks for the reply, probably was flying full forward a couple of times, most of the time I was trying to master flying the craft in circles but not with great success, I am going to decrease the responses of the sticks before my next flight, there are quite a few things I need to try out now thanks to the advise given here on the forum, then if I cannot resolve the problem I will contact Heliguy, I'll post again on this thread when I get it sorted out. It might just help somebody else if they experience the same problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide