Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Loss of lateral control I2

Reaction score
Any ideas why this rather terrifying incident may have occurred?

Flying the I2 for the second time this morning (on battery #3), when at take-off all lateral control was lost. I could rise and lower it, but under a strong offshore wind it was picking up speed and heading steadily out to sea!! The flight was in a remote location, absolutely no source of electromagnetic interference. The drone had flown perfectly an hour earlier.

Luckily, RTH worked and it steadily rose to the predetermined height, made its way back to shore and landed safely. I switched everything off and tried again, with the same absence of control result.

Packed up and headed home, but decided to give it one more try with a new battery set en route. It flew perfectly, then for another 4 sets of batteries over the next couple of hours!

So when it was failing the left hand controls worked, but the righthand controls didn't, and RTH did. Any thoughts? Very alarming - a bit like driving a car at speed and the steering wheel suddenly not working!!

Thanks,

Rob

Any ideas why this rather terrifying incident may have occurred?

Flying the I2 for the second time this morning (on battery #3), when at take-off all lateral control was lost. I could rise and lower it, but under a strong offshore wind it was picking up speed and heading steadily out to sea!! The flight was in a remote location, absolutely no source of electromagnetic interference. The drone had flown perfectly an hour earlier.

Luckily, RTH worked and it steadily rose to the predetermined height, made its way back to shore and landed safely. I switched everything off and tried again, with the same absence of control result.

Packed up and headed home, but decided to give it one more try with a new battery set en route. It flew perfectly, then for another 4 sets of batteries over the next couple of hours!

So when it was failing the left hand controls worked, but the righthand controls didn't, and RTH did. Any thoughts? Very alarming - a bit like driving a car at speed and the steering wheel suddenly not working!!

Thanks,

Rob
I assume it was all in P Mode? Did you try switching to Atti?

No - didn't have the presence of mind! That suggestion implies that the GPS signal was lost?? But RTH worked..
Not necessarily. The IMU can get "confused" if the information from compass and GPS give conflicting imputs. It could be the compass went out of wack for whatever reason.. You did not get the compass error message and prompt to callibrate compass in GO4 by any chance?

Last edited:
No. Effectively what happened it that the motors lost the capacity to rotate differentially. The drone wouldn't turn around or do anything but drift because all blades were stuck at spinning at the same speed.

No. Effectively what happened it that the motors lost the capacity to rotate differentially. The drone wouldn't turn around or do anything but drift because all blades were stuck at spinning at the same speed.
That is seriosly concerning. I would not fly it again without getting it checked by DJI service. You should download the log file from that doomed flight and send it to DJI to begin with. Just my 2 cent worth.

Are you using the Cendence Controller? One of the wheels on the side may have been assigned a sensitivity

Are you using the Cendence Controller? One of the wheels on the side may have been assigned a sensitivity

Good call, it took me a while to realise that with the side sliders set to minimum sensitivity, the I2 cannot hold position, even in just moderate winds.

Good call, it took me a while to realise that with the side sliders set to minimum sensitivity, the I2 cannot hold position, even in just moderate winds.
It is a great feature of Cendence if you need it and use it often. But if you do not for a while and forget about it, it is a recipe for disaster. Therefore I decided to disable this feature altogether from the side sliders. I use 100 Expo on both sticks. It gives me nice and smooth sensitivity around the centre of the stick movements for fine gentle control of the drone without loosing agility at full stick deflection.

Reactions: Tom Dillon
Yes, was using Cendence, but I don't think that was the problem. There was absolutely no lateral motion in any direction possible, even downwind.

Will do some more (cautious) flying over the next week to see if this recurs.

Yes, was using Cendence, but I don't think that was the problem. There was absolutely no lateral motion in any direction possible, even downwind.

Will do some more (cautious) flying over the next week to see if this recurs.
Next time move the side sliders all the way to the front or better via Menu set No assigned function to both of those sliders. Now that you confirmed you use Cendence I am pretty sure that the side sliders are the culprit behind your issue ?

Reactions: Tom Dillon
Many thanks for all suggestions. Will check sliders and calibrate IMU. It may also be an issue related to wind - here in a windy autumn the I2 has flown erratically on take-off in the last 2 weeks again, almost as if it takes a few moments to work out which way to lean!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool