Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Lost Link Procedure... What Else Should Be Done?

Reaction score
Website
www.proskymedia.com
I'm the first to admit lack of knowledge when I'm in unfamiliar territory.

As I take one step at a time, I still confess I have yet to construct a pilot's manual full of flight checklists, contingency plans, etc.

Having said that, I want to have these, particularly emergency procedures. Amongst them is the "lost link" procedure. I truly want to simply be a "professional" pilot.

What is lost link procedure? This has always seemed odd to me. If you lose a link, you lose a link. What am I missing? Your drone flies away.

What can you do aside from call ATC at the local airport? Report it to the FAA? Alert those involved in the production/shoot/project? What... create the procedure "production manager, PIC and driver will hop in nearest vehicle while spotter informs driver of vector and location while PIC tries to lasso the drone with a rope?"

We should all put together Standard Operating Procedures for a more constant process across the board

So, what do you normally do to try and regain the link? Effectively They're your procedures....

Things like, check aerials; orient to face aircraft; unplug and replug rc-tablet cable; shutdown & restart app; restart RC; get closer to aircraft. Then there's the settings on the aircraft... RTH, hover in place, land.... what do you have set?

Link lost isn't the same as flyaway btw. It might become flyaway, but it's not the same. So, for a flyaway procedure... yes, you could inform those around you, set someone to track the drone while you inform atc. & police etc etc

BTW, When you're creating your manual, put in the things you'd actually do, not what you think everyone else thinks should be in there. It a waste of time having a great bit of paper if all it's useful for is stopping your desk wobbling or keeping the office door open cause you don't use it because it's so clumsy and involved ;)

I'm the first to admit lack of knowledge when I'm in unfamiliar territory.

As I take one step at a time, I still confess I have yet to construct a pilot's manual full of flight checklists, contingency plans, etc.

Having said that, I want to have these, particularly emergency procedures. Amongst them is the "lost link" procedure. I truly want to simply be a "professional" pilot.

What is lost link procedure? This has always seemed odd to me. If you lose a link, you lose a link. What am I missing? Your drone flies away.

What can you do aside from call ATC at the local airport? Report it to the FAA? Alert those involved in the production/shoot/project? What... create the procedure "production manager, PIC and driver will hop in nearest vehicle while spotter informs driver of vector and location while PIC tries to lasso the drone with a rope?"
In addition to the things you mention.....
Some things to consider in any lost link ops manual documentation.....
  • Attempt to initiate RTH
  • Try and re-establish connection by turning off and rebooting remote
  • Since you are aware of your own aircrafts flight duration - Note battery level, bearing and altitude, speed and time the signal was lost. From this you will be able to approximate (with the help of maps) the rough area your aircraft will ditch/attempt to land. Give this information to your local police explaining the reasons etc

In Oregon, Special Districts Assn is requiring government agencies to have an SOP. I'm using their template to put together mine. Would be good to have standard procedures for anything needed, that could be provided to the FAA when requesting waivers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian