Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lost Signal after upgrade

Reaction score
I have an inspire 1 x3 .. and Ipad air 2 .. I have not used the inspire for a few weeks.. when I switched it on I was informed by the DJI Go app on the ipad that I needed to upgrade. .. so following the suggestion on the DJI Go app screen in front of me... I pressed the upgrade button. .. After the "upgrade"... I can see the video feed from the x3 camera... but a message in red top left saying "signal lost".. and the bird has a fast flashing yellow light.... tried restarting everything ... even reinstalling the DJI Go app... but nothing... still still with "signal lost"... So much for my first flight in weeks as we had a bit of sunshine in Italy. . So now it seems I have DJI Go app version 2.8.0 and the RC is now version 1.6.0..

Please can anyone tell me what to do now. .

Don't leapfrog updates. This happened to me, so I went back to my previously working firmware and installed each successively and then it worked fine. DJI should either document this or fix the firmware update. Try it...worked for me.

I have an inspire 1 x3 .. and Ipad air 2 .. I have not used the inspire for a few weeks.. when I switched it on I was informed by the DJI Go app on the ipad that I needed to upgrade. .. so following the suggestion on the DJI Go app screen in front of me... I pressed the upgrade button. .. After the "upgrade"... I can see the video feed from the x3 camera... but a message in red top left saying "signal lost".. and the bird has a fast flashing yellow light.... tried restarting everything ... even reinstalling the DJI Go app... but nothing... still still with "signal lost"... So much for my first flight in weeks as we had a bit of sunshine in Italy. . So now it seems I have DJI Go app version 2.8.0 and the RC is now version 1.6.0..

Please can anyone tell me what to do now. .
I am afraid you have fallen foul of not reading the release notes before upgrading anything and you now have a mismatch between your aircraft and RC.
Never EVER update anything before reading the release that goes with a particular update.
The latest version specifically warns that the aircraft must be updated first before the RC.
Your only option now would be tomdowngrade the RC then upgrade the aircraft and then re-upgrade the RC again.
Please use the search function on the forum as this has been covered quite a few times previously for other members who did not read the release notes before jumping in!

I am afraid you have fallen foul of not reading the release notes before upgrading anything and you now have a mismatch between your aircraft and RC.
Never EVER update anything before reading the release that goes with a particular update.
The latest version specifically warns that the aircraft must be updated first before the RC.
Your only option now would be tomdowngrade the RC then upgrade the aircraft and then re-upgrwde the RC again.
Please use the search function on the forum as this has been covered quite a few times previously godmother members who did not read the release notes before jumping in!

I read the release notes. I had actually upgraded the aircraft in early April, but apparently it must have been just before the release, as now I'm getting the same error. In any case, it's pretty confusing when the app will *only* let you upgrade the remote and the upgrade instructions from DJI (v1.4, their most recent) specifically state "If your INSPIRE 1 remote controller firmware is v1.3.00 or above, or PHANTOM 3 Professional or Advanced remote controller firmware is v1.3.20 or above, you must use the DJI GO app to update the firmware."

As far as "this" having been covered multiple times in the forum, are you referring to this specific firmware upgrade and associated problems, or how to downgrade and re-upgrade? I only see 2 or 3 regarding the firmware, and they're a mix of incomplete resolution (No Signal after the latest update 1.8.1.00) and or unrelated problems (RC Link lost after updating to fw v1.80). I'm assuming, from my searching and finding the 1.3 downgrade thread (Downgrade Firmware from 1.3.0.00 to Firmware 1.2.1.06) that the instructions are the same, as I didn't see anything pop elsewhere. Is that right?

Just my two cents, but I did have a learn-able user error moment I want to share regarding my last firmware update. I actually did make many mistakes which I will document so we can all learn. Goods news is no one was hurt, no damage was done and much was learned thanks to Ralph over at FlyhighUSA.com.

It seems my AC does not do the expected firmware lights or beeps. It does not beep before or after it is done. And during the upgrade process, the tail light only flashes yellow fast (not connected to RC) .The only thing I think is a sign that something is happening is the camera will flash it's LED green/red for a while then stop at some point. And there are what sounds like a servo that change and may indicate an upgrade is in progress. Also, the battery lights seem to dim the top and bottom battery lights during battery upgrade followed by going dark then all on when done (which I only noticed when upgrading all the batteries with 1.8 on the SD in the AC).Lastly, after what looks like a successful AC upgrade (or downgrade), there is no version text file on the SD card. The only way to check the version is through the DJI Go App. Weird? Next upgrade I will use a different SD card.

Based on my misconception of the upgrade lights/sounds, here is what I think may have happened; I actually interrupted the AC update process without the correct beeps and lights to guide me (and user error in that I rushed and didn't confirm). Then the DJI Go App offered to upgrade the RC and I accepted but didn't restart and flew Monday. So the RC/AC worked Monday for my test flights. Thursday, after a power cycle of the RC I had the firmware mismatch that triggers the "Lost RC Signal." Just a guess.

Either way with Ralph's help I downgraded all then upgraded all properly. Here are some other misc tips I picked up in this lesson:
  • Generally turn on RC first then AC. If you turn on AC first it's radios are on are listening leaving them open for inadvertent connections to devices other than your RC.
  • When upgrading, update AC first then RC. When Downgrading, order not as important.
  • Always read firmware update notes before upgrading. They may change upgrade process. For example, summer 2015 they changed the method for upgrading the RC. No longer able to upgrade RC with a USB stick. Use DJI App to upgrade RC.
  • When downloading firmware, go to your specific I1 product download page. I recently switched from an I1 to an I1 Pro and had never bothered to go get the Pro download.
  • to upgrade or downgrade the AC firmware, With remote off, have a exFat32 formatted completely empty (no hidden files or folders) with only the upgrade bin file of the version being upgraded or downgraded.
  • Yes, you have to upgrade each battery with that same bin file unless the release notes say otherwise.
I think that last part is important. This isn't mass consumer software and the publisher probably reserves the right to change any and all of it. Read the release notes. Read the release notes. Something I admit I rarely do with any consumer electronics or desktop software.

Reactions: John Archer
Just my two cents, but I did have a learn-able user error moment I want to share regarding my last firmware update. I actually did make many mistakes which I will document so we can all learn. Goods news is no one was hurt, no damage was done and much was learned thanks to Ralph over at FlyhighUSA.com.

It seems my AC does not do the expected firmware lights or beeps. It does not beep before or after it is done. And during the upgrade process, the tail light only flashes yellow fast (not connected to RC) .The only thing I think is a sign that something is happening is the camera will flash it's LED green/red for a while then stop at some point. And there are what sounds like a servo that change and may indicate an upgrade is in progress. Also, the battery lights seem to dim the top and bottom battery lights during battery upgrade followed by going dark then all on when done (which I only noticed when upgrading all the batteries with 1.8 on the SD in the AC).Lastly, after what looks like a successful AC upgrade (or downgrade), there is no version text file on the SD card. The only way to check the version is through the DJI Go App. Weird? Next upgrade I will use a different SD card.

Based on my misconception of the upgrade lights/sounds, here is what I think may have happened; I actually interrupted the AC update process without the correct beeps and lights to guide me (and user error in that I rushed and didn't confirm). Then the DJI Go App offered to upgrade the RC and I accepted but didn't restart and flew Monday. So the RC/AC worked Monday for my test flights. Thursday, after a power cycle of the RC I had the firmware mismatch that triggers the "Lost RC Signal." Just a guess.

Either way with Ralph's help I downgraded all then upgraded all properly. Here are some other misc tips I picked up in this lesson:
  • Generally turn on RC first then AC. If you turn on AC first it's radios are on are listening leaving them open for inadvertent connections to devices other than your RC.
  • When upgrading, update AC first then RC. When Downgrading, order not as important.
  • Always read firmware update notes before upgrading. They may change upgrade process. For example, summer 2015 they changed the method for upgrading the RC. No longer able to upgrade RC with a USB stick. Use DJI App to upgrade RC.
  • When downloading firmware, go to your specific I1 product download page. I recently switched from an I1 to an I1 Pro and had never bothered to go get the Pro download.
  • to upgrade or downgrade the AC firmware, With remote off, have a exFat32 formatted completely empty (no hidden files or folders) with only the upgrade bin file of the version being upgraded or downgraded.
  • Yes, you have to upgrade each battery with that same bin file unless the release notes say otherwise.
I think that last part is important. This isn't mass consumer software and the publisher probably reserves the right to change any and all of it. Read the release notes. Read the release notes. Something I admit I rarely do with any consumer electronics or desktop software.
Glad it is all sorted and you have a fully functioning Inspire back and running.:)
Yup......how many times have I said it on this forum
Read the release notes first before upgrading. :p

Here's my 2-cents worth on firmware upgrades. I've done them all as soon as DJI came out with a new one. I have had no problems, although, every time now that I do an aircraft firmware upgrade, when I look at the micro SD card on my computer after the upgrade it ALWAYS says something like "upgrade error, firmware corrupted, try reloading firmware and update again." Despite this dire warning, it actually upgrade every time on the first try and I've had no problems flying afterward.

The biggest problem I used to have was lost signal. Since the past two upgrades, I no longer have that problem. I should mention I did switch from my iPhone 6 to a new iPad Air 2. Yes, I agree, read all release notes. I do and follow the upgrade path DJI instructs you to do. Good luck one and all.

Reactions: John Archer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell