Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Low flying light aircraft

Reaction score
Did a couple sorties at one of my local flying spots Collieston (North East Scotland) on my second flight I flew out to a ship anchored offshore. Flew back to my take off spot with no issues about 40 seconds later a light aircraft flew past about two to three hundred meters offshore at about 20 meters off the surface of the water. Gave me a fright as I believed there should have been no chance of me flying in airspace that could be occupied by light aircraft.
I have it on video and will post it later, I dread to think what would have happened if he or she hit my drone head on as he or she was flying at least 80 knots. I flew in accordance with Uk laws average height was 50 meters and myself or spotter had her in sight at all times. Who was at fault If there had been a collision? Speed & height they were flying at there is no way I could have taken avoidance action. We were outside controlled airspace I'm not sure what that means in terms of flying a light aircraft.

Did a couple sorties at one of my local flying spots Collieston (North East Scotland) on my second flight I flew out to a ship anchored offshore. Flew back to my take off spot with no issues about 40 seconds later a light aircraft flew past about two to three hundred meters offshore at about 20 meters off the surface of the water. Gave me a fright as I believed there should have been no chance of me flying in airspace that could be occupied by light aircraft.
I have it on video and will post it later, I dread to think what would have happened if he or she hit my drone head on as he or she was flying at least 80 knots. I flew in accordance with Uk laws average height was 50 meters and myself or spotter had her in sight at all times. Who was at fault If there had been a collision? Speed & height they were flying at there is no way I could have taken avoidance action. We were outside controlled airspace I'm not sure what that means in terms of flying a light aircraft.
Hi Lesmess (from just around the corner at Buckie). As RPA pilots we have an obligation to avoid all manned aircraft (in UK). On hearing or seeing another aircraft we are required to descent and/or reposition until we can identify any possible conflict. It is my understanding that over the sea, civilian pilots may descend below 500 ft. In your case, the aircraft would have been operating very close to Aberdeen's CTR and should have been in contact with ATC. With the 40 sec separation, I don't believe an AIRPROX report would be appropriate; there was no risk of collision. If you were still flying then it would have been another case. An RPA operator in Moray recently issued a NOTAM to cover work at Hopeman Golf Course over several days on the edge of RAF Lossiemouth's MATZ. As you were both in Class G airspace and your limited flight time a NOTAM would not be necessary.

Last edited:
Lesmess,
This would be a good training scenario for all of us. I had a similar incident over a lake in Minnesota where I had just landed on shore. Out of nowhere an ultralight came over the trees at 100ft right across the same flight path.
I have kept this in the back of my mind ever since and plan to drop to the lowest alt possible ASAP if needed.

Hi Lesmess (from just around the corner at Buckie). As RPA pilots we have an obligation to avoid all manned aircraft (in UK). On hearing or seeing another aircraft we are required to descent and/or reposition until we can identify any possible conflict. It is my understanding that over the sea, civilian pilots may descend below 500 ft. In your case, the aircraft would have been operating very close to Aberdeen's CTR and should have been in contact with ATC. With the 40 sec separation, I don't believe an AIRPROX report would be appropriate; there was no risk of collision. If you were still flying then it would have been another case. An operator in Moray recently issued a NOTAM to cover work at Hopeman Golf Course over several days on the edge of RAF Lossiemouth's MATZ. As you were both in Class G airspace and you limited flight time a NOTAM would not be necessary.
White aircraft against the sea (I was higher or level with the aircraft) cannot believe he or she was flying safely at that height? I was standing on the hill to my right hand side (looking at the sea) then came down the steps to land, I would not have seen any approaching aircraft. Not much I could do even if I did see the aircraft, I was flying at 50 meters he would have flown under me if we were in the same airspace. If he hit my drone I'm responsible? Can't believe ATC would allow anyone to fly that low.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyPro
Rest assured be it at any altitude if you were involved with a crash of a full scale aircraft it would be a black mark on drones and leverage for them to ban them everywhere other than approved model aircraft fields.

This is where is all going guys - one major accident and we'll all be back at flying fields shooting videos of ourselves.

@Lesmess I see you point. That is bloody low. What was he doing? That is a lovely location and I can see that you view along the coast (north and south) would have given you no time to avoid that aircraft. Considering you were at 10-15m AMSL and he was below your horizon then he must have been below your height! He also would have just exited ABZ CTR to be at that height and speed. Contrary to my earlier statement I would speak with ABZ ATC supervisor with time and date and get their advice based on your video.

That video should also be shown to the FAA in the US
That video should most definitely be shown to all the news stations that report all these drone sightings. I want to see the news that video of how that irresponsible pilot could have easily killed their passenger as well as their self running into the I1

The fact is - whether the aircraft pilot was right or wrong, you were the only one that could have possible prevented an accident at the time.
Yes I have no doubt I would have been at fault, thing is I did not plan to fly out to sea. I now have a good confidence level and decided to fly out to the anchored ship. I won't do that again, I will stay inshore above the cliffs, nothing worth seeing over the sea. Given me a scare though!!

You can't assume any place is safe - keep in mind around beaches they permit low altitude flying so really no coast line or lake is 100% safe.

Also keep in mind law enforcement can fly any height on a mission - When I used to do aerials out of Ranger our company had blanket permits for low flying at a given location.

You can't assume anything!

Light aircraft fly below 400 feet all the time. It's not hard to see/hear them coming however, especially if you have a spotter as isn't that his entire job purpose? Lol!

Was taking some video of my buddy at his request and he said he was able to see my inspire easily.

So any low flying plane should be able to easily see and avoid you if he's flying right at you with any possibility of actual collision. Anyway I'd say it would be his fault and worse case scenario you'll be buying a new drone and he'll have a dent in his plane.

A low flying plane is "Not Going To See You" - its up to you guys to look for other aircraft.

The very last thing a pilot will be looking for is these miniature drones which are almost invisible to them at 100+ mph, they are looking for other full size traffic.

There is no such thing as fault - Its our responsibility, if we hit a full size aircraft more than likely is going down and maybe going down on homes - they have their life to lose, we only lose drone.

If you even think there might be other aircraft in the area - Bail Out!

Reactions: The Editor
A low flying plane is "Not Going To See You" - its up to you guys to look for other aircraft.

The very last thing a pilot will be looking for is these miniature drones which are almost invisible to them at 100+ mph, they are looking for other full size traffic.

There is no such thing as fault - Its our responsibility, if we hit a full size aircraft more than likely is going down and maybe going down on homes - they have their life to lose, we only lose drone.

If you even think there might be other aircraft in the area - Bail Out!
There's about a zero percent chance it's going down, planes hit birds all the time and they don't go down except in rare circumstances, usually when they fly through a whole flock and hit a bunch of them. Birds are solid meat and have more mass density than a hollow plastic drone which will disintegrate on impact. You really think a piece of 1/8 inch thick plastic is gonna cause a plane crash? Lol, you're delusional. There would likely be some damage to the plane depending where it hit but it wouldnt cause a crash.

Did you not read my previous post? I've flown in close proximity to small aircraft and my pilot friend said it's easy to see. He also said if he hit it the worst that would happen is id be buying a new one. Should be even easier if it's directly in front of them where they could possibly collide unless there are pilots flying around out there not looking out the window at all, lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: WilsonFlyer
There's about a zero percent chance it's going down, planes hit birds all the time and they don't go down except in rare circumstances, usually when they fly through a whole flock and hit a bunch of them. Birds are solid meat and have more mass density than a hollow plastic drone which will disintegrate on impact. You really think a piece of 1/8 inch thick plastic is gonna cause a plane crash? Lol, you're delusional. There would likely be some damage to the plane depending where it hit but it wouldnt cause a crash.

Did you not read my previous post? I've flown in close proximity to small aircraft and my pilot friend said it's easy to see. He also said if he hit it the worst that would happen is id be buying a new one. Should be even easier if it's directly in front of them where they could possibly collide unless there are pilots flying around out there not looking out the window at all, lol!

View from 50 seconds onwards - flying at 250 feet (military often fly down to 100ft) do you seriously think this pilot would be able to see a UAV and take evasive action?

Reactions: Gary E and Soflms
I was involved in another incident the other day. This time with a helicopter.

Flew inside a city and took pictures of a building. Was flying around 60-70m height, when I hear a familiar sound from the helicopter. Can not determine where the sound is coming from, so I go down to the ground.

A few seconds later, I see it when it flies exactly where I had been and is on what I appreciate a height of 80-90 meters.

Had I not gone down, the helicopter had passed 10-20 meters, just above my Inspire ..

View from 50 seconds onwards - flying at 250 feet (military often fly down to 100ft) do you seriously think this pilot would be able to see a UAV and take evasive action?

I have a pilot friend who says he could easily see it even though I was quite a bit higher than where he was flying. I've also flown over a mile away and could still see it, so yes, if it's in front of them in their flight path close enough that there's a risk of collision they should see it easily if they are looking where they are going.

Thanks for the reply - Your friends doing just that "talking" its easy for him to see the drone - he's looking for it - that's a major difference of a guy flying down the coast looking at landscape, the last thing a pilot is expecting to see is a **** drone.

Secondly, the inspire battery alone striking the wing or a surface at 100+ mph is enough to take down a single or twin engine plane. There's major difference from the body of a bird which is flesh and little bone compared to a solid like a battery - bottom line if a Inspire battery strikes the aircraft at 100+ mph its going to tear some ship up.

This is all assuming the drone don't go through the windshield - that's a whole another story!

Thanks for the reply - Your friends doing just that "talking" its easy for him to see the drone - he's looking for it - that's a major difference of a guy flying down the coast looking at landscape, the last thing a pilot is expecting to see is a **** drone.

Secondly, the inspire battery alone striking the wing or a surface at 100+ mph is enough to take down a single or twin engine plane. There's major difference from the body of a bird which is flesh and little bone compared to a solid like a battery - bottom line if a Inspire battery strikes the aircraft at 100+ mph its going to tear some ship up.

This is all assuming the drone don't go through the windshield - that's a whole another story!
News flash, there's thousands of privately owned drones out there and that number increases daily, if you're a pilot flying under 400ft you SHOULD be looking for them or you're an idiot. At any rate the chances of collision causing a plane crash are slim and the chances of any actual drone/plane collision are even slimmer, to date there's been zero.

Ok Genius you're right - every full scale pilot in the world will now be on the "Look-out" for idiots flying drones but they don't have to worry about hitting one because you and your expert buddy say its not going to damage anything - Hello!

Its guys like you with that line of thinking that will have all these drones banned in a few years!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide