Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Map Pilot now has Terrain Awareness

Reaction score
Website
irishsights.com
Just released as an in app purchase. This is a game changer for mapping.
d30ccd01f8fc09fc7041e7d3fef8a9b8.png

Holder of CAA PFAW
BNUS-S Certified Pilot

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Daniels
Why is this a game changer?

It means that the imagery will always be at the same height above the ground no matter the rise or fall of the ground your flying over. The flight path will hug the ground at whatever height is set in the software. This enables constant resolution often called GSD-Ground Sample Distance usually measured in pixels per centimetre on this side of the Atlantic. Still needs to be used with diligence though.

Holder of CAA PFAW
BNUS-S Certified Pilot

Reactions: Phatzo
Have you used this yet? If not, would you do a flight at higher elevation first to test clearance before flying the mapping mission at lower altitude?

Brian

The app has a minimum "safe " altitude of 60 meters; you cannot plan a mission any lower. Just came out so haven't tested it.
$19.99
Terrain Awareness
Why is this a game changer?
Because it is the first consumer level mapping app (for DJI) with "terrain avoidance" capability. I understand my use of the term "terrain avoidance" is misleading; there is no radar or laser sensors in the bird autonomously correcting the aircraft altitude for terrain elevation changes. "Avoidance" is based on Shuttle Radar Topography Mission data that has been specially formatted for use with Map Pilot. This is how MapsMadeEasy explains it:

"The Terrain Awareness feature uses SRTM (or Shuttle Radar Topography Mission) data that has been specially formatted for use with Map Pilot.
The SRTM data was collected in 2000. As of late 2015 the highest level of detail (30 meters/pixel) was made publicly available. This is a great example of how NASA's work helps people.
From USGS: "Endeavour orbited Earth 16 times each day during the 11-day mission, completing 176 orbits. SRTM successfully collected radar data over 80% of the Earth's land surface between 60° north and 56° south latitude with data points posted every 1 arc-second (approximately 30 meters)."
We are using the "SRTM 1 Arc-Second Global" variant. This data is available in the USGS EarthExplorer system."

Like any new app, I plan to test it very carefully around some small local hills with my P3P before I try to map the Andes w/ my Inspire 1 PRO.:D

Have you used this yet? If not, would you do a flight at higher elevation first to test clearance before flying the mapping mission at lower altitude?

Brian
Hi Brian, No not tested yet. I will be taking it very slowly with this new feature! On site survey will have addition checks for example that VLOS is maintained so it doesn't disappear into a hollow or over a ridge. There are warnings too if the flight plan gets below takeoff level. Early days.

@Licenced Pilot, mentioned terrain avoidance, this is not terrain avoidance, that's a totally different concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raphael Dahan
Because it is the first consumer level mapping app (for DJI) with "terrain avoidance" capability. I understand my use of the term "terrain avoidance" is misleading...

Terrain Avoidance is not mentioned anywhere that I can see so it can't really be "misleading". Aware is a good choice of a word.

Nothing to do with the quoted post but I have read in other places that some think that this is a safety tool to stop the AC flying into a hill. That is not what this is for. In fact the software features brings risks of its own that need to be addressed by the pilot.

So just to be clear for those dipping in here:
This is NOT a safety feature for flying in hilly country
This is NOT "Terrain Avoidance"
This IS an addition to the aerial mappers toolbox to enable constant GSD.

Holder of CAA PFAW
BNUS-S Certified Pilot

Last edited:
Trivia here, now that you mentioned the SRTM (or Shuttle Radar Topography Mission, STS-99) that was my gig to design the Kennedy Space Center Mission and Crew posters for that flight, and many others too! :cool:

Attachments

• 125420main_sts99mission.jpg
    125420main_sts99mission.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 53
Hi Brian, No not tested yet. I will be taking it very slowly with this new feature! On site survey will have addition checks for example that VLOS is maintained so it doesn't disappear into a hollow or over a ridge. There are warnings too if the flight plan gets below takeoff level. Early days.

@Licenced Pilot, mentioned terrain avoidance, this is not terrain avoidance, that's a totally different concept.
Gee, Sorry, semantics. I bellieve I explained it quite clearly.

Not sure why they didn't use the National Elevation Dataset instead of SRTM data. NED data, while not available in all areas, is 1/3 arc second which is much higher resolution (10m/pixel) than the SRTM data. This would allow for more accurate terrain following and more consistent GSDs.

Not sure why they didn't use the National Elevation Dataset instead of SRTM data. NED data, while not available in all areas, is 1/3 arc second which is much higher resolution (10m/pixel) than the SRTM data. This would allow for more accurate terrain following and more consistent GSDs.
Maybe it was a trade-off with coverage

Yes Thx for sharing, but I can't figure out how to buy it?

Don't see anything in Map Pilot??

Appreciate your help thanks in advance

Jan

If they are using height data its going to be an approximation and its only accurate to a certain distance usually in the 10's of metes for free public data, regardless, I'll be doing it manually, I don't belive there will be any notable trade off, especially when you factor in if the intention is to produce 3D models, a level of decimation is required at run time to keep them at sane levels of geometry anyway, so you are generally ALWAYS getting less than what you could potentially get for practicality reasons, be that poly count or rendering time.

I use an independent camera with home made mount and FPV, it produces much better results than the X5 as each photo has nearly around double the megapixel count of the X5, more megapixels = more accurate 3D data, assuming same focal length and distance. I compared it next to the X5, its a good 25%, so that is why I go with the less enjoyable solution as the quality is the only thing I really care about.

Don't get me wrong, I miss the all in one capability of the X5, but if you want those extra megapixels, you have to go custom.

I wish there was a sony A7R II solution out there that just worked out of the box.
42 Mp photos.
Full frame sensor.
Video which is good enough.
All stabilized without jello, hassle free workflow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry