Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mars 58 Parachute drama.

Reaction score
Okay, I'm probably going to get a lot of excrement from people about this post but here it is:
Recently bought a Mars 58 parachute system with Mayday board and Inspire mount. I was a little bit skeptical about the mount but installed it on my Inspire anyway. The unit was quite heavy and I also was concerned about how far aft the CG had shifted. Anyway, went to pack the chute and realized real quick that it takes a lot of downward pressure to load the chute. I supported the launch tube with an upside down dish (I know...I know...should have known better) under the inspire. Well, it slipped off the dish and subsequently cracked EVERY mounting screw hole on the cowling and nose. Off to Ebay to buy replacements. Got the replacements today. This time, I was using a chunk of 2x4 to support the tube. Found out real quick that the airframe doesn't tolerate ANY torquing motion while working on the chute. EVERY mounting hole cracked again. Back to Ebay to buy more parts. Now waiting for the parts to arrive. Removed the parachute assembly from the Inspire. Have no intention of reinstalling it at this time. In the meantime, I've been all through the airframe to make sure I didn't miss a cracked part somewhere. So far, haven't found any. BTW, when I installed the latest cowling and nose cone, I didn't force any of the components into place nor did I use a lot of torque on the assembly screws.

Reactions: Rowan
Load the chute BEFORE mounting it on the machine?
Might work. The instructions have you load the chute after you mount it to the machine. Also, periodic reloading of the chute is generally recommended. I get the reserve chute for my hang glider repacked annually. I was a chief pilot for a parachute school for a couple years. They had their reserves repacked annually by a certified rigger as was the emergency chute I was required to wear.

Okay, I'm probably going to get a lot of excrement from people about this post but here it is:
Recently bought a Mars 58 parachute system with Mayday board and Inspire mount. I was a little bit skeptical about the mount but installed it on my Inspire anyway. The unit was quite heavy and I also was concerned about how far aft the CG had shifted. Anyway, went to pack the chute and realized real quick that it takes a lot of downward pressure to load the chute. I supported the launch tube with an upside down dish (I know...I know...should have known better) under the inspire. Well, it slipped off the dish and subsequently cracked EVERY mounting screw hole on the cowling and nose. Off to Ebay to buy replacements. Got the replacements today. This time, I was using a chunk of 2x4 to support the tube. Found out real quick that the airframe doesn't tolerate ANY torquing motion while working on the chute. EVERY mounting hole cracked again. Back to Ebay to buy more parts. Now waiting for the parts to arrive. Removed the parachute assembly from the Inspire. Have no intention of reinstalling it at this time. In the meantime, I've been all through the airframe to make sure I didn't miss a cracked part somewhere. So far, haven't found any. BTW, when I installed the latest cowling and nose cone, I didn't force any of the components into place nor did I use a lot of torque on the assembly screws.
I also had this same issue. I posted my review on You Tube. I knew that I wasn't the only Inspire owner to have this issue. Did Mars Parachutes refund your money???

Attachments

• IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    981.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
Since that makes 2 pissed off members in less than a few days, I assume the instructions DON'T suggest packing the chute while not attached, correct? A flaw with the instructions, not the product, then. Either way, MARS is responsible, IMHO.

EDIT:
Actually, I digress. Here the official Mars install video. They pack after mount installation.

Last edited:
I notice in the video above they do not show the parachute being stuffed into the tube - LOL
Looks to me like they did not do sufficient R&D before releasing the product to the general public.
They are going to have lots of legal issues...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan