Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Matrice 600 Camera

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am about to buy a matrice 600 for high end video and stills. I have the X5 from my inspire but is that really the best option for the Matrice? I have not been overly impressed with the X5 and since we are buying a new platform, should I get another camera or stay with the X5? I see a lot of people using Panasonic cameras etc.. but have never had an option to use a non-DJI camera.

I do not need a 30K red epic. I would like the best camera that's out there in the 7k- or less range for this drone. What would you guys put on the matrice 600? Stick with the X5 I have or something else? Thanks!

Hello all,
I am about to buy a matrice 600 for high end video and stills. I have the X5 from my inspire but is that really the best option for the Matrice? I have not been overly impressed with the X5 and since we are buying a new platform, should I get another camera or stay with the X5? I see a lot of people using Panasonic cameras etc.. but have never had an option to use a non-DJI camera.

I do not need a 30K red epic. I would like the best camera that's out there in the 7k- or less range for this drone. What would you guys put on the matrice 600? Stick with the X5 I have or something else? Thanks!

As far as the best camera goes that fully integrates with the DJI GO App, the X5 or X5R is your best option. Soon the X4S and X5S should also be made compatible with the Matrice 600 through a new mounting plate.

Moving over to any other camera is going to require the purchase of a Z15 Gimbal that is going to be specific to the camera (can't use any other cameras on the gimbal) or going with the Ronin-MX which will give endless possibilities for cameras that can be flown on the platform. Again, the major drawback when moving away from the Zenmuse cameras is you lose the integrated functionality and control from the DJI GO App. There are ways to obtain that functionality but nothing is as clean as being integrated with the GO App as the Zenmuse cameras are.

Flying the X5 on the M600 yields very good flight times whereas with just about any other camera setups you're looking at pretty significantly reduced flight times.

Should you have any further questions please don't hesitate to reach out by PM, email, or give us a call.

Thanks,
Mike

Reactions: SanCap
Why not sell the x5, and get the I2 with the x5s?

Just noticed I had the matrice 100 in my mind when I posted this. Not the 600.

Last edited:
Hello all,

First of all great question. With all the new DJI products out recently (going back to the X5R, M600 Pro, Inspire 2, X5s, etc) I think a lot of higher end clients are asking the same thing...what platform should we fly - and what camera should we put in the air? The choices are really good right now.

We are very experienced with products ranging from the M600 and Inspire 2 to the Alta / Movi and custom built copters and gimbals. We have flown and used many, many cameras.

Here are the things I would ask so we can throw our opinion in the mix for you:

1. What did you dislike about the X5 (and confirm it was not the X5R)?

2. Do you always fly your own cameras or do you work on projects where the camera that needs to be flown is dictated by someone else?

3. Is your aerial footage cut in with footage shot on the ground by different cameras - and do you shoot ground footage yourself?

4. Do you prefer to shoot RAW or something else like ProRes or h.264, etc? And how much color grading does your footage encounter in post by someone?

5. Do you use a follow focus system or other things that need to be considered?

6. Do you have a camera preference of a large lens collection of a particular type?

We really, really love this stuff and would be happy to dig in with you and make some suggestion or kick around some ideas. Also, is that a grouper in your photo...love grouper...haha.

Where are you located?

FDS, Thanks for the response. Answers below- I am out of Melbourne FL. I fly an inspire, Phantom, and hoping to add the M600 but I want to make sure the camera I use it either integrated with the DJI app and provide excellent video quality and flexibility or not integrated and better enough to warrant the problems associated with the disconnect. Obviously going outside of DJI app integration makes things a lot more complex. I would do it if its worth it. Let me know your thoughts. Are the new versions of the X5 that much better? other answers below. Thank You for your time and I look forward to working with you.

First of all great question. With all the new DJI products out recently (going back to the X5R, M600 Pro, Inspire 2, X5s, etc) I think a lot of higher end clients are asking the same thing...what platform should we fly - and what camera should we put in the air? The choices are really good right now.

We are very experienced with products ranging from the M600 and Inspire 2 to the Alta / Movi and custom built copters and gimbals. We have flown and used many, many cameras.

Here are the things I would ask so we can throw our opinion in the mix for you:

1. What did you dislike about the X5 (and confirm it was not the X5R)? I do not fly the X5R, just the X3, X5, P3, etc.. When I look at the video from the X5 its never as nice as my X3 unless its a still. I guess the video from the X5 I feel comes out of focus a lot. I primarily use
the OLYMPUS M. ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12MM F/2.0 LENS or the 25mm version. maybe the lense is the issue but everyone seems to love those lenses. I lke the fact that its integrated with the DJI app and that is why I am asking here for help. I know there are some really nice cameras out there and the gimbals to fly them but is it really worth it to go outside or am I just doing something wrong with what I have?

2. Do you always fly your own cameras or do you work on projects where the camera that needs to be flown is dictated by someone else? I always fly my own. I am cool buying a Ronin so I can fly a client camera but that is not currently something I plan to do. I want to stick with my own gear whenever possible

3. Is your aerial footage cut in with footage shot on the ground by different cameras - and do you shoot ground footage yourself? I am primarily looking for aerial imaging. Ground footage will be shot using another cameral when needed.

4. Do you prefer to shoot RAW or something else like ProRes or h.264, etc? And how much color grading does your footage encounter in post by someone? I have been shooting H.264 and have not made the jump to RAW. As far as post its a mixed bag. Sometimes I do a lot of post production color work but try to limit that as best I can. I want to shoot the best video I can without the need for a lot of post if possible.

5. Do you use a follow focus system or other things that need to be considered? No

6. Do you have a camera preference of a large lens collection of a particular type? No

We really, really love this stuff and would be happy to dig in with you and make some suggestion or kick around some ideas. Also, is that a grouper in your photo...love grouper...haha. Yup... big Gag. When not shooting video I shot a lot of fish.

Where are you located?

Cool - my brother live in Melbourne and we get over there a couple times a year. I will look through your answers below and give you some of my thoughts. Then, you should demo our M600 with X5R and an Inspire 2 with X5S to see how they fly for you. We arrange demos in different parts of the state to let people try out some equipment and make sure they are making a good purchase for their needs.

I get back to you on this later today.

Two more questions:

1. How are you setting the focus on the X5 (auto, manual to infinity, manual to somewhere other than infinity, 2nd person sets it continuously, etc)

2. What type of work do you do a lot of (real estate, commercial properties, golf courses, landscapes, etc)

3. Do you generally fly single or dual operator?

4. What type of device are you using for the app or in addition to the app (iPhone, iPad, some type of focus assist monitor, etc)

Next, I really think you should test fly some different options. Have you flown anyone's M600 yet? We have a dealer demo of pretty much everything and it would be great for you to get your hands on them all and compare them for the type of work you do. If you do get a Ronin, make sure I tell you about the deal you can get when you buy a DJI Focus with it.

Anyway, if you shoot me back those last few answers that would be great.

Again, answeres below. I forgot color this time, sorry. I appreciate your response.

Two more questions:

1. How are you setting the focus on the X5 (auto, manual to infinity, manual to somewhere other than infinity, 2nd person sets it continuously, etc) Typically doing a touch to focus out to infinity and leaving it at AF or TTF to get a nice clean focal space and then changing it to auto and working with that. I do not use MF a lot

2. What type of work do you do a lot of (real estate, commercial properties, golf courses, landscapes, etc). I am a pro-sumer and do not make my (primary) living with a drone. I have the certs and will start a small side company here soon but it wont be a primary source of income. That being the case, I will work mainly on landscape and seascape. I will never be filming weddings. Mainly the sea. Fishing tournaments, events for charity, and cool stuff. I'll make some money here and there but I am more interested in filming what I like and making it look good than turning a quick buck. This weekend I will be filming a young man with terminal cancer that was made an honorary fireman for the day. He will be putting out a real fire with trucks, ladders, the whole deal. I will be compiling video for the parents to have to look back on.

I launch from our boat a lot and plan to do some big projects offshore. I do not intend to do much in the way of real estate. Maybe some here and there to learn and build clientele but it will never bee our bread and butter.

3. Do you generally fly single or dual operator? Single operator. My wife is a pro-sumer photog so we both have our respective sides of the production but not an aerial dual operator. I would entertain DO but it wont be something I do a lot.

4. What type of device are you using for the app or in addition to the app (iPhone, iPad, some type of focus assist monitor, etc) So far I use Ipads for the DJI app. I have an air an mini. Use the mini for the phantom and air for the inspire / Matrice. I am open to use anything that makes sense though. The ipads have been good though.

Next, I really think you should test fly some different options. Have you flown anyone's M600 yet? We have a dealer demo of pretty much everything and it would be great for you to get your hands on them all and compare them for the type of work you do. If you do get a Ronin, make sure I tell you about the deal you can get when you buy a DJI Focus with it. I have not flown the M600 yet. I have been flying RC for 15 years and quads for maybe 3. I have flown a lot of aircraft but not the M600. I am interested in the redundancy and ability to fly different payloads. I will also be training the local fire department on SAR with theirs so it makes sense for me to buy one too.

Anyway, if you shoot me back those last few answers that would be great.

The more we talk about this the closer I am to realizing I need to just stick with the X5. Is the new version of the X5 really any better? Losing integration with the app would be a pretty heavy price to pay. Or, maybe not. Maybe it's worth biting the bullet and going completely outside of the DJI wheelhouse for video

We just finished 6 straight days of flying and filming every combination of things you could imagine (I1, I2, M600, M600 w/ RTK, P4 Pro+, etc.). I really should have invited you down to fly and test with us. We had a guy come from Pittsburgh, Miami area, and a couple other guys from SW FL. We flew over land, water - even a private island we were invited on. If you have any time this coming weekend we are probably going to be around Pembroke Pines, FL and would love to have you come check them out and fly them.

I've got some other answers to send you as well....

Let me know if you want to join us - probably on Saturday.

As far as the best camera goes that fully integrates with the DJI GO App, the X5 or X5R is your best option. Soon the X4S and X5S should also be made compatible with the Matrice 600 through a new mounting plate.

Are you sure? I mean, that would be awsome.

But to my limited knowledge the new X4S and X5S are not standalone payloads anymore. I heard/read that most of the camera's processing is done in the Inspire2 memory. So how would one get to work on a Matrice, even with a mounting plate? If that's the case, there would also be an option to mount them under the I1. But I'm afraid there's not going to be such thing. Unless the mounting plate also caries a SSD and all the intelligence. (might be so)

All processing is done by the Inspire2. The cameras's are nothing more than gimbals with a lens and a CCD.

At least, that is what I know. I would like someone to prove I'm totally wrong here, please!

Certainly don't bet the farm on there ever being a mounting / adapter solution for the X5s/X4s to run on the M600/M100 or Inspire 1 airframes. It just will not happen.

Similarly, don't expect to see X3/X5/XT/XTR on the Inspire 2.

Dji has forked the platform and the Inspire 1 is end-of life.

No, the new stuff will only work on the Inspire 2 (which we will have for you to compare). The big decision is do you stay with an old camera system (X5 / X5R) to be able to interchange between the Inspire 1 and M600 or do you go to the Inspire 2 with X4S / X5S and wait for the next M600 style copter that will be compatible with them (no idea if and when this will happen). The presumption would be that now that DJI has gone the way of the Inspire 2 - new copters from here forward will be compatible with the new lenses. If this is not the case I think we are all going to be confused about their plan!!!

The question that some people have been asking themselves is if they really need to be able to lift the heavier cameras anymore and if the new X5S and its 5.2K RAW are good enough for everything they do - or even if they start with the X4S they know an upgrade path exists for them.

I think you will also benefit from flying the M600 and determining if you think you will actually need to own one to support and train people to use and fly it. Its big - and might also be more challenging to fly on and off your boat.

I launch from my 19 foot boat on occasion and could not imagine setting up the M600 and flying from my bow area. It is just to big, that being said maybe I need a larger boat :) The Inspire is the perfect size for my little boat.

.boat launch.jpg

Reactions: lake_flyer
Hello all,

The most important factor is something you left out; what are you planning to do with this airframe? If you're planning on commercial ops you will need more than 1 airframe so, if you're going to market your services to director/producers RE agents etc you will know what your customers need. If's it's a hobby, 1 is enough. After that, it's the differences between what you get with each airframe for the $. What's your plan?

I launch from my 19 foot boat on occasion and could not imagine setting up the M600 and flying from my bow area. It is just to big, that being said maybe I need a larger boat :) The Inspire is the perfect size for my little boat.

.View attachment 11716
Oh, that's scary ... this railing around ... How do you land? The same way on the table? Brave ...

Reactions: SanCap

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar