Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Max height above a tall structure in UK

Reaction score
The flight limit for a UAV is 400ft agl within the UK but as I understand it, the USA allows up to 400ft above any structure for a radius of 400ft around that structure.

A client has asked if we can fly above their building, which is around 450ft high. Would this be OK (up to 850ft agl) in the UK?

The rule is ,as I understand it, 400ft above pilot or take off point. Could you gain access to the roof? if so and you took off from there you would be to again fly 400 above take off point .
Ask the CAA I suppose is the safe answer?
Also occurs to me would you still have VLOS if you are above that building?

CAA will give you the safe answer for that or maybe we have friends here can give us the exact answer who experienced that kind of situation.

Like Spike says, you're a week too late.

You can do it with respect to actual ground, so long as you stay within a 400ft bubble of the ground (so you can fly off a cliff/hillside out into a valley, but you must remain within 400ft of the nearest ground) - Natural terrain. The surface doesn't include buildings or structures, only natural features. So, you'd need to apply to the CAA for an additional OSC/Perrmission.

From CAP1687:

To cater for the few occasions where a small unmanned aircraft is being own over hilly/undulating terrain or close to a cliff edge, the 400 ft height above the surface requirement may be interpreted as being a requirement to remain within a 400 ft distance from the surface, as shown in the diagram below. For the purposes of Article 94A, this is considered to be an acceptable means of compliance with the legal requirement.

Remember that the limitation applies to ‘heights above/distances from’ the surface of the earth. It does not automatically apply to heights/distances from tall buildings or other structures: in such cases, an additional permission from the CAA will be required, which will invariably also require permission to operate within a congested area.

Just noticed, the surface of their sea isn't level o_O:rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Like Spike says, you're a week too late.

You can do it with respect to actual ground, so long as you stay within a 400ft bubble of the ground (so you can fly off a cliff/hillside out into a valley, but you must remain within 400ft of the nearest ground) - Natural terrain. The surface doesn't include buildings or structures, only natural features. So, you'd need to apply to the CAA for an additional OSC/Perrmission.

From CAP1687:

Just noticed, the surface of their sea isn't level o_O:rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Haha LOL i noticed it too :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah