Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Maximum Operating Temperature?

Reaction score
What is the highest operating temperature that the Inspires have flown without problems?

The manual says 104 degrees F (40 c) is the top end.

I am being asked to fly for a geology survey in Las Vegas in the middle of July. Anticipated temperatures will be higher than that and I'm concerned.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated, thanks!

I do know my Ipad Air 2 will overheat and shut down with the DJI app running in 90+ degree F heat after several back to back flights...
Seems the Ipad air 2 will overheat under sustained load... warns you politely... then shuts itself off... :eek:
I have heard of several others have the same Air 2 overheat issue... Only tablets I have heard do this BTW... :confused:
Guess I'l have to figure out how to strap icepaks on the **** thing... :p

As far as the bird itself... Not sure what to tell you... :oops:
DJI picked that 40c number on purpose or picked it outta thin air... :eek:
By that... I mean they rounded down and it really may have real issues at some number higher... :mad:
My guess is picked on purpose and you might want to be very concerned... :(

What is the highest operating temperature that the Inspires have flown without problems?

The manual says 104 degrees F (40 c) is the top end.

I am being asked to fly for a geology survey in Las Vegas in the middle of July. Anticipated temperatures will be higher than that and I'm concerned.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated, thanks!
Most electronics is limited to an operating temperature of 40C. Although individual components may reach higher temperatures, they need a lower ambient temperature for cooling and optimal operation.

As John pointed out, your tablet will probably be your greatest limitation. If it overheats and shuts down, then you will lose all your system and especially battery information (charge level/temps). I would do what the USAF and Nasa do at Edwards AFB. Plan your flying at dawn and finish by 0800 local before the temperature climbs 40C. With increasing temperature, the Altitude Density drops significantly meaning the air is thinner and the Inspire will need to work harder to stay airborne putting greater load on the batteries and increasing their temperature to dangerous levels.

Alternatively, go back in winter!

Last edited:
Another issue you may want to consider is the fact that the rubber dampers which isolate the camera mount get soft - I had mine detach in the air at 36 degrees centigrade in an Australian summer, so I would put a cable tie loosely round to keep it safe - I did a few experiments, and above 35 they do get quite soft, and begin to loose their holding power. That said I flew my I1 in temps approaching 40c and no other issues. I also kept everything in the shade when not flying as the radiant temp is much hotter. Conditions were both hot and very humid at the time.

Hi,

For I have flown the I1 in the far western desert in Australia in summer, ambient temperatures were about 42/43C.
No problems with the I1, even though the operating temp rose to whopping 59C at some point.

Your biggest weakness will be your iPad, anyhting abve 35C ambient temp won't make it last long.
However, I put it in the fridge (Engel/Waeco) before flying, will then last for about a battery load in extreme heat.

Dan
www.uberair.net

Shielding your iPad from the sun is the most important. Even if it's 20°C outside if you leave one for 15 minutes on a table in the sun it will reach the overheating point. A black surface the size of an iPad in midday sun can absorb up to about 30W.... the iPad itself will not generate more than 5 or so even at full load.

o_O
Might sweat a bit in the humidity here in the Midwest US...
But prechilling the Ipad sounds like a possible solution to my shutdowns... :cool:

Carrying the Ipad in a cooler to the job site works for me (AZ). It will last as long as one battery in 105 deg. You can always cool it back down.(I won't fly if >105 deg.).

Reactions: Planter
I realize this is an old post, but for anyone wanting more of an answer:

The manual is correct. 104F if you're lucky. 102F if you're safe. At 104, fly to 50%, then switch out battery for a cool one. Cool them slightly if you can before flying. At 104 degrees F, I had sudden drops of the drone - losses of power and knew I had to bring it down a.s.a.p. Some batteries did better than others at anything between 102&104F which is where I decided is too hot to fly. My friend's Mavic or similar (not sure which) would not even take-off at just over 104; it just sputtered out on the ground and he didn't know why for a moment. But ya, the manual is pretty accurate at 104F and 40c. I like to cool my batteries when it's hot and bring it back at 50% in general.

Most often, and usually the best solution to hot weather in general is to take advantage of the cool early morning light.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44