Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Motors start then suddenly stop 2-3 seconds, no messages, alerts, lights, etc

Reaction score
Haven't had the I2 out of case for over a month, been busy working on the Matrice 600Pro.
Last time flew, no issue... flew fine, behaved fine, recorded video fine.
Thought I check firmware and take it for a short yard flight.

The DJI4Go App connected with no messages of FW updates, only a Zone Update.
Found GPS Satellites and reported Home Point & Ready for takeoff.
Performed CSC, motors spin up, and just barely hear the "Take Off" and all motors stop.
Tried this several times (3-4 times), each time the motors stopped 2-3 seconds after starting.
Shut it all off, RC, Tablet, I2. Removed Batteries... Restarted - Same results, Motors start for 2-3 seconds then shutoff.
Flight Logs only indicate the normal warning for my home area, indicating Close to a Zone type message.

Connected to Computer and DJI Asst 2, showed current FW.
Performed a "refresh" and uploaded & installed the FW.
Finshed with same version indicated.

Retested and it starts up fine now.
Anyone have this issue?
What causes it, does the FW get corrupted?

Hey, How's it going Doug?

I had a similar issue right after the April firmware update. although it only happened once.

• Date: 2018.04.18
  • Aircraft Firmware: V01.02.0100
  • Remote Controller Firmware: V01.01.0010

After a flight, changed the battery pair, started up the motors, stopped on their own accord after a second or two... , no warnings in the app, freaked me out a bit, packed up to research but never could never replicate. I went for the bazooka approach, reset to factory values, refreshed the firmware in assistant 2 and also deleted and reinstalled DJI Go and re calibrated the controller.

did you try to reset to factory values before reloading firmware? curious if a parameter is getting bonked or if the firmware itself is getting corrupted?

Hey, How's it going Doug?

I had a similar issue right after the April firmware update. although it only happened once.

• Date: 2018.04.18
  • Aircraft Firmware: V01.02.0100
  • Remote Controller Firmware: V01.01.0010

After a flight, changed the battery pair, started up the motors, stopped on their own accord after a second or two... , no warnings in the app, freaked me out a bit, packed up to research but never could never replicate. I went for the bazooka approach, reset to factory values, refreshed the firmware in assistant 2 and also deleted and reinstalled DJI Go and re calibrated the controller.

did you try to reset to factory values before reloading firmware? curious if a parameter is getting bonked or if the firmware itself is getting corrupted?
Hey Patrick... we're still flying the I2's so that works eh... thanks to Michale @ Florida Drone Supply for getting us the vital battery bay repair parts!

Ya this was a strange one... makes ya ponder, will it just stop in flight carrying a X5S & lens?
No, I didn't redo the whole process, just reloaded the FW to see what the outcome would be... which corrected it.
I haven't mounted props and taken it up after the night repair, that will hopefully be sometime today between all the rain clouds.

My first thought was the recent motor replacement.... again a Shout out to Michael & his team @ FDS for sending a I2 motor in quick response. I was in process of trying some carbon props and FUBAR'ed my own motor screws on 4th motor.
Installed the replacement motor, props and performed several test flights... and to my knowledge cased it and returned to M600Pro experiments. But I'm 98% certain I cycled the I2 several times to flush out any prompts for FW updates.

Then 4-5 weeks later, was at a parts waiting period for M600Pro so took the I2 out to check battery status and experienced the motor stop issue. Very Odd... just been sitting in case.

Only variables I can gather:
1) Motor replacement FW surfaced up... but no indications.
2) Stored the I2 in garage and temps recently fell to low 40's.
3) Batteries were 50-60% & cold
4) Primary iPad Pro 10 or CS were not available, so used backup iPad mini 4th Gen.

None of these should have caused an issue, and if they did a warning message should have been generated.

I don't have a clue as to the cause, nor understand why "reflashing" same FW corrected the issue.

Sorry if this seems obvious, but are you adding throttle within those 2 seconds. Because that sounds like normal behavior to me. My Inspire 1 has always done that. Once you start the motors if you don’t make any control movements within a couple seconds, the motors stop.

Sorry if this seems obvious, but are you adding throttle within those 2 seconds. Because that sounds like normal behavior to me. My Inspire 1 has always done that. Once you start the motors if you don’t make any control movements within a couple seconds, the motors stop.

Thanks for idea, but no that wasn't the issue. The I2 doesn't cycle off in a few seconds normally, but regardless of stick position, it shut off consistently after a few seconds. It could get stick, begin to increase RPM, then shut off... just as App would announce "take off".

After a FW refresh it behaved correctly... could let it idle for extended time then power up or power up soon after start.

While on the subject, I have 2 Inspire 1v2 (Raw & Pro) and they are same behavior as the I2... they can sit on pad in an idle spinning props while Pilot walks around and examines condition of bird and camera checks. Haven't had any of my DJI birds cycle off after a short time from Mavic up through M210 & M600Pro.

I don't think that's normal, you should be able to check camera operation and examine props as they spin in idle. Some may idle with props stopped and respond with a little stick when ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Weist

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84