Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Need help picking a camera

Reaction score
I am making the transition from still photography to HD videography. I have allotted $3000 of my budget to go to a new 4K camera. I will primarily be recording outdoor fishing and hunting short films and commercials. I need some help picking the right camera for my use. I'm sure there are a lot of DSLR versus camcorder threads on this forum. However I need help deciding which one works better for me. I'm a Nikon shooter and if I go with a d500 I can still use all my lenses. However I feel a camcorder would serve me better. Since a lot of my videos will be shot on a rocking boat image stabilization is very important. I also need something that requires minimal time to set up and performs very well on auto. This is because most of the time I do not have any time to set up the camera before the shot something is already happening and I need to grab the camera and get the shot. I am purchasing inspire 1 raw drone so any cameras that use micro 4/3 lenses will be considered. The x5r will be used on the osmo handle however The setup time on an osmo is a little slow. XLR audio inputs are also plus but not required. If you've ever seen shows like Scott Martin challenge or Into the Blue you'll understand what I'm trying to shoot. My list is narrowed down to the Panasonic hcx1000, gh4, Nikon d500, cannon xc10, Sony fdr ax100. If anyone can help me make decision or tell me a camera that I haven't considered yet I appreciate any help. I would also like to know if a fully pimped out 5K 27 inch iMac would handle editing all my footage. If this isn't the proper forum to post this in I'm sorry, please tell me which to use and I'll move it.

I'm a bit confused ... You say that X5R camera with Osmo will be used for footage on shaky waters ... Than why do you need yet another camera in the same format and a dedicated gimbal system? I truly believe that X5R alone with a set of proper lenses will deliver top quality imagery.

Reactions: Kilrah and AMGPilot
I agree, start with the X5R on the Osmo handle and then make your decision on what will provide the best solution for whatever you feel is missing in the X5R/Osmo.

Since you have got probably the ultimate in video recording for a drone you may be also looking for the ultimate video camera. That would probably be a RED. See RED Digital Cinema | 8K, 6K, 5K, & 4K Professional Cameras

It would probably take something like a RED to be a significant step up for you, but it depends on what it is that you actual need it for.

I agree, start with the X5R on the Osmo handle and then make your decision on what will provide the best solution for whatever you feel is missing in the X5R/Osmo.

Since you have got probably the ultimate in video recording for a drone you may be also looking for the ultimate video camera. That would probably be a RED. See RED Digital Cinema | 8K, 6K, 5K, & 4K Professional Cameras

It would probably take something like a RED to be a significant step up for you, but it depends on what it is that you actual need it for.

Yeah skip the red, go Alexa

So - if I understand your goals correctly - you will be on the same fishing boat with your equipment, filming whatever is filming worthy with broadcast quality. In this scenario the less equipment you carry with is better. Certainly the Osmo with X5R gimbal/camera and sufficient set of lenses is up the task. The set-up time, however, is the main obstacle, you believe. Are you sure? Once you establish shooting parameters all you have to do is to operate Start/Stop button ... Good stereo digital audio recorder (with wind-screened microphones - a must) can work aside for hours, syncing in post is not a problem. I'll suggest to test just this setup, before you jump a step higher. RED system on dedicated hand-held gimbal (Ronin?) - although tempting without the doubt - may be a overkill. Bottom line: for ANY other camera you'll need to abandon the Osmo concept and invest in a suitable gimbal, which may render prohibitive cost. BTW, Auto mode for X5 camera doesn't work smoothly enough to provide professional results, IMO. That issue alone may eliminate X5 from your equipment list, unless you'll master shooting in manual mode.

The involvement of UAV (Inspire) in your work is yet another issue. Forget a single person control of flying and shooting: it's next to impossible to get both correctly, with professional results and without risking an catastrophic errors. Alone you may shoot fine sequences for fun, but not under production pressure. You'll need double RC setup: one for the pilot, another (with goggles) for the cameraman. Trust me, been there, did that ...

So - if I understand your goals correctly - you will be on the same fishing boat with your equipment, filming whatever is filming worthy with broadcast quality. In this scenario the less equipment you carry with is better. Certainly the Osmo with X5R gimbal/camera and sufficient set of lenses is up the task. The set-up time, however, is the main obstacle, you believe. Are you sure? Once you establish shooting parameters all you have to do is to operate Start/Stop button ... Good stereo digital audio recorder (with wind-screened microphones - a must) can work aside for hours, syncing in post is not a problem. I'll suggest to test just this setup, before you jump a step higher. RED system on dedicated hand-held gimbal (Ronin?) - although tempting without the doubt - may be a overkill. Bottom line: for ANY other camera you'll need to abandon the Osmo concept and invest in a suitable gimbal, which may render prohibitive cost. BTW, Auto mode for X5 camera doesn't work smoothly enough to provide professional results, IMO. That issue alone may eliminate X5 from your equipment list, unless you'll master shooting in manual mode.

The involvement of UAV (Inspire) in your work is yet another issue. Forget a single person control of flying and shooting: it's next to impossible to get both correctly, with professional results and without risking an catastrophic errors. Alone you may shoot fine sequences for fun, but not under production pressure. You'll need double RC setup: one for the pilot, another (with goggles) for the cameraman. Trust me, been there, did that ...

The main issue I see with the x5r is the set up and breakdown time between spots. Truthfully I'll only be recording one or two runs on the boat. The rest of the time I would want to store it between runs to protect it. As of yet I have not found a suitable case to hold the x5r osmo plus a shotgun mic without needed to break down the camera. Could you recommend something. I will have GoPros recording all the time so I can get those strikes/hook set shots, but I want to be able to pick up the camera and record the landing as fast as possible.

The main issue I see with the x5r is the set up and breakdown time between spots. Truthfully I'll only be recording one or two runs on the boat. The rest of the time I would want to store it between runs to protect it. As of yet I have not found a suitable case to hold the x5r osmo plus a shotgun mic without needed to break down the camera. Could you recommend something. I will have GoPros recording all the time so I can get those strikes/hook set shots, but I want to be able to pick up the camera and record the landing as fast as possible.
Judging only by the complexity of Inspire preparations for filming I'm afraid that the Osmo with X5R will not provide the required quick readiness to shoot, indeed. As for safe storage in this environment nothing can beat Pelican type cases. You can easily shape the interior foam (provided) to make a nice cavity for Osmo and whatever else, they came in many sizes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido