Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New Battery Algorithm in v1.3.0.00 and sudden voltage drop syndrome

Reaction score
I am curious as I haven't tried it myself (I ALWAYS start my flights with 100% charge state) but have any of you more adventurous souls out there tried to see if the new firmware and battery calibration now solves the sudden voltage drop report from 60 or 70% to circa 7% in a matter of seconds when starting off with a partially charged pack?

Answers on a postcard please..........

Reactions: Scotflieger
This is what we need....'military spec flight-time'.....not sure what that means exactly but significantly longer flight times than with the current DJI batteries.....according to Lynh Phan that is.....no, no idea when they come out.....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439828348.676219.jpg

This is what we need....'military spec flight-time'.....not sure what that means exactly but significantly longer flight times than with the current DJI batteries.....according to Lynh Phan that is.....no, no idea when they come out.....View attachment 3272
I have no idea what this post means or what it has to do with my original question - but thank you.

Reactions: Scotflieger
I am curious as I haven't tried it myself (I ALWAYS start my flights with 100% charge state) but have any of you more adventurous souls out there tried to see if the new firmware and battery calibration now solves the sudden voltage drop report from 60 or 70% to circa 7% in a matter of seconds when starting off with a partially charged pack?

As soon this sh*tty wheather allows me to fly I will test this.Very curious after I tested this a few weeks ago.But if there is anyone who has done this let us know please.It's a very borring test.But I have my batteries charged 'till 70-65%,so I go whenever it stops raining.

As soon this sh*tty wheather allows me to fly I will test this.Very curious after I tested this a few weeks ago.But if there is anyone who has done this let us know please.It's a very borring test.But I have my batteries charged 'till 70-65%,so I go whenever it stops raining.
OK, thanks - If this HAS indeed resolved the 'sudden death voltage drop' from partially charged packs it will make a huge difference to many who like to 'Grab, go and fly'.
It will also add a confidence level that your Inspire will not suddenly try and land itself from 70% battery!

OK, thanks - If this HAS indeed resolved the 'sudden death voltage drop' from partially charged packs it will make a huge difference to many who like to 'Grab, go and fly'.
It will also add a confidence level that your Inspire will not suddenly try and land itself from 70% battery!
That's why it's boring.Fly all 9 batteries 'till this can happens at 3 ft high and 10 ft away from you.Takes 9 x 18 min. of non challenging flying.Feel like the myth busters now.All for science!:)

Reactions: The Editor
Yes I have taken off and flow with partially charged batteries with no sudden drop of voltage.
But, I stress the importance of doing the FULL charge and FULL DISCHARGE cycle to the batteries first (as per the instructions)

Reactions: The Editor
Yes I have taken off and flow with partially charged batteries with no sudden drop of voltage.
But, I stress the importance of doing the FULL charge and FULL DISCHARGE cycle to the batteries first (as per the instructions)
Thanks - good to hear.
Let's hope others have the same results. :)

I started several times with 50-70% batteries with no issues not before 1.3 and not after 1.3, however the batteries were never stored more then few hours with this %

Yes. Happened yesterday afternoon. TB47 sat in case for a week at full charge with the other 4 and a single TB48 after the recal routine following firmware update. Started at 61%. In the air for about 4-5 minutes, then suddenly went to 7%. Safe landing, but very dicey. I am aware of the previous issue, and was prepared for the possibility knowing that starting with less than 100% might be cause for trouble.

Yes. Happened yesterday afternoon. TB47 sat in case for a week at full charge with the other 4 and a single TB48 after the recal routine following firmware update. Started at 61%. In the air for about 4-5 minutes, then suddenly went to 7%. Safe landing, but very dicey. I am aware of the previous issue, and was prepared for the possibility knowing that starting with less than 100% might be cause for trouble.
Hmmmm...... Sounds like it may not be solved then.
Had you done the the recalibration etc after the v1.3.0.00 update etc?

Hmmmm...... Sounds like it may not be solved then.
Had you done the the recalibration etc after the v1.3.0.00 update etc?

Yes. I stated such in my original post.

"TB47 sat in case for a week at full charge with the other 4 and a single TB48 after the recal routine following firmware update."

Recal procedure was conducted immediately following firmware update. All batts were charged to 100%, flown to 5% and then recharged to 100%. Batts sat for 1 week (7 days) and then were flown. Most batts showed 80-90+% charge when inserted and flown. 1 batt (the one mentioned in my original post) showed 61% and was the batt that had the sudden drop to 7%.

Last edited:

Need to do deep cycle calibration I believe in addition to update.

Jury's still out. But next deep cycle I'll watch for it.

Reactions: Steven Powter
i started yesterday a flight with a 50% battery, i flew in one location moved in car for about 30 mins and reused the battery, no drop whatsoever, i did update and deep cycled them when the update was out.

Yes. I stated such in my original post.

"TB47 sat in case for a week at full charge with the other 4 and a single TB48 after the recal routine following firmware update."

Recal procedure was conducted immediately following firmware update. All batts were charged to 100%, flown to 5% and then recharged to 100%. Batts sat for 1 week (7 days) and then were flown. Most batts showed 80-90+% charge when inserted and flown. 1 batt (the one mentioned in my original post) showed 61% and was the batt that had the sudden drop to 7%.

Just carious if your recalibration was successful? As the recalibration of my 3 battery going down to 5% was unsuccessful. I thought I did the calibration current, but after recharging them to 100% I still was getting 4300mAh readings on my tb47 and 5600mAh readings on my tb48s.

I searched and found this forum post http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/battery-re-calibration.4847/ the posts stated that just going to 5% will not recalibrate the battery's, but you will have to go all the way to 0%. I can also confirm from my personal experience that draining from 100% to 5% and recharging back to 100% did not work, but going to 0% did. Within the link I posted they explain in more detail why draining to 5% doesn't work and draining to 0% does.

Reactions: RJ Evans

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters