Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

New to inspire, first impressions

Reaction score
I have been flying rc planes and helicopters for the better part of 20 years. My first drone experience was with a heavy lift octo with a wookong controller flying a red camera. Was so intimidated by flying a 40-50k rig I was almost afraid to fly it, and the flight time was so ridiculously short. My next drone was a 3D robotics x8 with a pixhawk controller. No camera on it so it wasnt of much use. So now I purchased a used inspire v2. WOW what a difference! The amount of integration is amazing. The way it flys is like nothing I have flown before. I’m just getting started learning this bird and camera system but am highly impressed with it. The only thing I don’t like so far is the waypoints option of having to basically fly the pattern while setting the waypoints as you go. Seems stupid compared to the pixhawks mission planner software. Looking forward to learning all I can about the inspire and camera settings.
Jeff

That bird is impressive. If you want a better camera with a zoom lens look into the Z3.

I would have liked the z camera but the x3 will have to do for now.
If anyone is in the Dayton/Springfield Ohio area and want to mentor a newbie that would be great. One of the hardest thing for me has been learning to not have to watch the inspire the whole time I fly and use the screen. With my rc background I’m use to never taking my eyes off what I’m flying.
Jeff

The only thing I don’t like so far is the waypoints option of having to basically fly the pattern while setting the waypoints as you go.
Have a look at for example Auto Pilot, it is not free and has a steep learning curve, but is worshiped by many, including myself.

I would have liked the z camera but the x3 will have to do for now.
If anyone is in the Dayton/Springfield Ohio area and want to mentor a newbie that would be great. One of the hardest thing for me has been learning to not have to watch the inspire the whole time I fly and use the screen. With my rc background I’m use to never taking my eyes off what I’m flying.
Jeff
I was the same way when I purchased mine always watching the drone instead of the screen. Old habits are hard to break

I have been flying rc planes and helicopters for the better part of 20 years. My first drone experience was with a heavy lift octo with a wookong controller flying a red camera. Was so intimidated by flying a 40-50k rig I was almost afraid to fly it, and the flight time was so ridiculously short. My next drone was a 3D robotics x8 with a pixhawk controller. No camera on it so it wasnt of much use. So now I purchased a used inspire v2. WOW what a difference! The amount of integration is amazing. The way it flys is like nothing I have flown before. I’m just getting started learning this bird and camera system but am highly impressed with it. The only thing I don’t like so far is the waypoints option of having to basically fly the pattern while setting the waypoints as you go. Seems stupid compared to the pixhawks mission planner software. Looking forward to learning all I can about the inspire and camera settings.
Jeff
Another has mentioned AutoPilot, but many [more?] use the Litchi app. AutoPilot's downlink dependency has always had me hesitating but it is a robust platform (downlink here means bird-controller connectivity dependency - whereas load a waypoint mission into Litchi, you can turn off the controller and go for a walk and the mission will fly to its completion barring any mission planning errors, etc.). Additionally, I am beta-ing a newcomer to autonomous flight platforms. Visit and 'tube' "Dronelink.com'.

Have some fun and go get your Part 107 regardless of your intended use.

Another has mentioned AutoPilot, but many [more?] use the Litchi app. AutoPilot's downlink dependency has always had me hesitating but it is a robust platform (downlink here means bird-controller connectivity dependency - whereas load a waypoint mission into Litchi, you can turn off the controller and go for a walk and the mission will fly to its completion barring any mission planning errors, etc.). Additionally, I am beta-ing a newcomer to autonomous flight platforms. Visit and 'tube' "Dronelink.com'.

Have some fun and go get your Part 107 regardless of your intended use.
I havent tried waypoints with the dji app but just tried the point of interest today and that was pretty cool. I am having problems with the playback function. It will only show half a picture and the bottom will either be black or green and all pixelized. Any ideas? Playing it back through the ipad and the controller, not direct from the video card.
thanks
Jeff

Last edited:
I havent tried waypoints with the dji app but just tried the point of interest today and that was pretty cool. I am having problems with the playback function. It will only show half a picture and the bottom will either be black or green and all pixelized. Any ideas? Playing it back through the ipad and the controller, not direct from the video card.
thanks
Jeff
Frankly, the DJI Go Waypoint implementation is very lacking. Most other apps, Litchi, DroneHarmony, AutoPilot and DroneLink all have a mission design interface, usually web-based that you can design and configure a waypoint mission with your UAV sitting in the case. I have not and so no real reason to even use the DJI waypoint mode. Your mileage may vary.

Frankly, the DJI Go Waypoint implementation is very lacking. Most other apps, Litchi, DroneHarmony, AutoPilot and DroneLink all have a mission design interface, usually web-based that you can design and configure a waypoint mission with your UAV sitting in the case. I have not and so no real reason to even use the DJI waypoint mode. Your mileage may vary.
It does surprise me as well thought out and integrated as this is the waypoints are so poorly set up. I’ve used flight planner for pixhawk and it is set up like you mentioned, point and click on a satellite map, tell it how high to fly and how long to loiter at each point. Works well too.
Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool