Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Not so stable in wind gusts...

Reaction score
Hi:
I have been flying a Phantom 2 for a while. Fantastic machine. Very stable in all kind of conditions. When in GPS, would hold its position very well
Then we bought an Inspire 1. Totally different behavior with wind guts: it drifts. May be downwind a little, or upwind. It even changes altitude (always in P-GPS). It´s seems to have a lack of reaction.
Trying to move slowly is almost impossible to make a straight path (when in speed it´s very stable).
Wich are the basic parameters to help with this? Is a software issue or a design one?
Best regards!

Like you, I have flown a Phantom 2 and Inspire 1 and my experience is not the same as yours. The I1 is far more stable than my Phantom 2 in all conditions. It may seem obvious but have you done an advanced IMU Calibration on the I1?

Last edited:
Like you, I have flown a Phantom 2 and Inspire 1 and my experience is not the same as yours. The I1 is far more stable than my Phantom 2 in all conditions. It was seem obvious but have you done an advanced IMU Calibration on the I1?
I think you gave him good advice. I had the same with my Inspire Pro and I couldn't get it to fly straight or level. I did the calibration and its much better. Actually it must be better as i haven't noticed it since.

Thank you!
I´m running the latest firmware and DJI GO app in an i-pad mini 2. There is not advanced IMU calibration. Only IMU calibration. It takes some time, so it must be an advanced IMU calibration I think. I tried this a couple of times and my brakes parameter is 115. Anyway the Inspire feels really erratical. As it would be in ATTI, but with 10-12 satellites.
With no so powerfull winds, but blowing in guts, the drone could drift in a way or another and even change altitude...Really lost.

Thank you!
I´m running the latest firmware and DJI GO app in an i-pad mini 2. There is not advanced IMU calibration. Only IMU calibration. It takes some time, so it must be an advanced IMU calibration I think. I tried this a couple of times and my brakes parameter is 115. Anyway the Inspire feels really erratical. As it would be in ATTI, but with 10-12 satellites.
With no so powerfull winds, but blowing in guts, the drone could drift in a way or another and even change altitude...Really lost.
You need to do an advanced IMU calibration. The thing brakes fast already when you first get it. Most of us already have the P3 so we know what the Inspire is meant to do. I dont think you have a problem machine.. it just needs the calibration.
You say blowing in gusts but how strong are the gusts? 40Knots? The Inspire is more stable than a P3.

As I see it, brakes apply when you suddenly leave the sticks centered coming from a movement, but the Inspire does not brake when a gust of wind moves it. It seems that does not react to this. I have to correct the position as if I would be in ATTI. But it is in P-GPS and holds position, but with a very wide range (can drift several meters until it stops)

As I see it, brakes apply when you suddenly leave the sticks centered coming from a movement, but the Inspire does not brake when a gust of wind moves it. It seems that does not react to this. I have to correct the position as if I would be in ATTI. But it is in P-GPS and holds position, but with a very wide range (can drift several meters until it stops)
Oh God.... Thats not right.

I have noticed the Inspire drifting a lot in wind. Even with braking at default, I am surprised by the amount of drift. It allows itself to get pushed by the wind to a certain degree. It seems to be by design for unknown reasons.

As for IMU, it is unlikely to be a driving factor here. If you haven't done a reliable IMU calibration, by all means do it. Once done, it shouldn't need touching again (unless you crash). That should rule out the IMU as a factor. Mine is calibrated perfectly and the Inspire still gets pushed a certain amount in the wind.

Tested in calm conditions. Seems to hold position better than with wind. Not close to the Phantom (would this be because of less inertia in a smaller drone?).
Runned the IMU cal. again. Haven´t noticed any significant better behavior. I will test more. But with wind and working close to objects, it´s a nerves breaking machine
Thank you!

Tested in calm conditions. Seems to hold position better than with wind. Not close to the Phantom (would this be because of less inertia in a smaller drone?).
Runned the IMU cal. again. Haven´t noticed any significant better behavior. I will test more. But with wind and working close to objects, it´s a nerves breaking machine
Thank you!
Somethings not right and I would take it back.

Searching the forums i found that for fw 1.6, "wind compensation" was disabled. That still worked on 1.5 but not any more. This makes the behavior logical?
Can someone confirm this?
Would I get a better performance regarding wind stability if I go back to 1.5?

Searching the forums i found that for fw 1.6, "wind compensation" was disabled. That still worked on 1.5 but not any more. This makes the behavior logical?
Can someone confirm this?
Would I get a better performance regarding wind stability if I go back to 1.5?
Im sorry I cant help. My Inspire is fine so there must be something wrong with yours. It should hold stable.

Well I had my Inspire1 in winds of
28 - 30 kph winds on a beach and held very well .. Not well for me as I was getting push with those winds ..lol

I think it can handle strong winds. My problem is that it becomes very erratical. i.e. hovering in one place and start to slowly move in a straight line... impossible. And the landing in a small area is a nightmare with wind.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide