Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Olympus 12mm vs. X4S

Reaction score
I have X4S and contemplating upgrade to X5S. Anyone with a good DNG samples taken with Oly 12mm at f4 to f5.6 and ISO100? What is your opinion from purely photographer's perspective of IQ between these two? And as videographer if you were to shoot h.264 only, apart from the obvious advantage of different lenses, is the video quality under good daylight at ISO100 that much better??

Last edited:
Not really if you're just shooting h.264, unless like you say, change the lenses!
The edge sharpness is much better with the 12mm on x5s than the x4s though! That was one annoying thing about x4s I had with it's photos.

Not really if you're just shooting h.264, unless like you say, change the lenses!
The edge sharpness is much better with the 12mm on x5s than the x4s though! That was one annoying thing about x4s I had with it's photos.
Thanks for your reply. Would you care to share a few stills taken with the 12mm to demonstrate the edge sharpness. I'd appreciate a few DNGs, so I can open them in LR CC and try different adjustments and sharpening.
Thanks in advance.

I've been doing some testing on the X5S 15mm with DNG Photos and so Far I'm not that impressed by the results. I'm still trying to figure out the best settings (Exposure exc). I may be expecting to much as my other camera is a Sony A7r3 and it just blows this setup out of the water. I realize I'm comparing a full frame 42 MP sensor to a M4/3 setup but I still expected more...kind of starting to think I should have saved the money and just gotten a P4P. I'm going to try the Olympus 45mm and see if that works out any better.

I also have the X4S which I start experimenting with soon.

I've been doing some testing on the X5S 15mm with DNG Photos and so Far I'm not that impressed by the results. I'm still trying to figure out the best settings (Exposure exc). I may be expecting to much as my other camera is a Sony A7r3 and it just blows this setup out of the water. I realize I'm comparing a full frame 42 MP sensor to a M4/3 setup but I still expected more...kind of starting to think I should have saved the money and just gotten a P4P. I'm going to try the Olympus 45mm and see if that works out any better.

I also have the X4S which I start experimenting with soon.

There is a lot to learn to be able to extract maximum from what this and x4s is capable of. Plus every person has different expectations and different idea as to what a final photo should look like. For some a bit of noise is acceptable price to pay for more agresive sharpening, for others softer but cleaner look is better. In any case I'd love to see a few DNG samples taken with the 12mm. Just normal, boring shots, well exposed daytime at f5.6 and ISO 100. If anyone would volunteer, I'd apreciate it...

Reactions: slim.slamma

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44