Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Olympus 45mm drifts

Reaction score
I'm using the Olympus 45mm since today, with an 37 to 47mm step up ring with an ND filter attached to it, total weight = 14gr.

Now that I'm looking at the footage I've shot I notice that the gimbal is drifting from the left to right when I'm flying straight, am I doing anything wrong?

I'm using the Olympus 45mm since today, with an 37 to 47mm step up ring with an ND filter attached to it, total weight = 14gr.

Now that I'm looking at the footage I've shot I notice that the gimbal is drifting from the left to right when I'm flying straight, am I doing anything wrong?

Welcome to Inspire Pilots! You are probably not doing anything wrong, it could be a firmware issue. Have you completed any calibrations of the gimbal, IMU or compass? Can you post some footage of what is happening?

I think it is normal to have a drift and it's more obvious with the 45mm but it persist with other lenses just not visible in normal situations.
When I shoot hyperlapse with camera moving forward even with the 15mm, later the video looks good and stable but when I speed it up I can notice that there is a left-right drift and I have to stabilize the hyperlapse in post. This happens even with Mavic Pro which is much more modern tech and and of course much more stable in flight. Thats why it is very difficult to make hyperlapse using the 45mm lens with forward motion.
With the 45mm I usually do shots with the camera tracking an object, this way the drift is not noticable compared to when the camera is staying still and drone flies in some direction (landscape shots).

If you are using lens hood put it down, the aerodynamics are very bad with the hood and the air start pushing the lens wich is producing drift.

But depend on how much it drifts you may have some problem with the hardware. As Florida Drone Supply suggested do IMU and compas calibration and try again. You may try also to switch off gimbal synchronous pan in DJIGO.

There is a thread in the forum for using 45mm lens and there was mentioned that the lens firmware itself can influense the stability but there was mentioned a jello effect not a drift. The lens firmware can be checked on olympus body.

You can do a test by shooting the same thing with the 15mm lens and then crop the footage in post to mimic the 45mm fov. Play the result on fullscreen and compare the stability between 45mm and cropped 15mm.

Is the 45mm balanced correctly with the gimbal powered off? My 45mm is slightly front heavy with one 37mm filter so I would imagine with your step up ring and larger filter you would be very front heavy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz