Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Olympus 45mm Lens Edge Distortion

Reaction score
I finally got around to putting on the Olympus 45mm lens and noticed two thin bands of distortion on the left and right side. It was easy to crop out it out in post but was wondering if others are having the same issue. I did calibrate the lens for infinity focus but maybe I should do it again? My 15mm stock DJI lens is fine. I am also using a ND filter but this does not look like a blurring issue but a weird lens alignment problem. But even that does not make sense as you would think it would be out of focus on just one end.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes i have it too! Only on my 45mm as well. I was worried about it until I got my SSD, and it is not on the proress footage, only on the h264 on the micro SD card. Is this from your ssd or micro sd?

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Reactions: Rotofan
Yes i have it too! Only on my 45mm as well. I was worried about it until I got my SSD, and it is not on the proress footage, only on the h264 on the micro SD card. Is this from your ssd or micro sd?

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Thanks for the reply! I was worried about having to send the camera or the lens back. Yes I am using the micro SD card with the H264 codec. I do not have a cineSSD yet (back order). I have not tried the H265 codec (workflow not the best with Final Cut Pro X). Maybe I will try the H265 codec and play with the 2720x1530 vs 3840x2160 video size in the meantime.

I only used the lens for a brief flight but really like it. The only other issue I had was with Spotlight pro. I thought as a single operator I could use it for closer in slow moving shots but that did not work very well FYI (image too big even when you start further away and then get close in).

Last edited:
Did you get the balancing ring and balancing cap for the 45mm? In the manual it lists two but DJI does not sell them nor does B+H.
Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm/1.8 - BR-Φ37-8 - BR-Φ37-6
And what is a balancing cap?

I am using the Sensei pro 37mm-46mm step-up ring attached to a Hoya 37mm ND filter (just using the step-up ring for counter weight). This combo balances the pitch fine for me. I would imagine the cap is for the very slight roll to one side. I will probably take this out with a weight (maybe will print something when I get the time).

Reactions: 2nd2non
As distortion is not present in ProRes and CinemaDNG, but just in MicroSD H264/265 files, it seems to me that it has something to do with "lens correction".

It is known that lens correction is somehow applied to H264, while it is not applied to I2 ProRes recording, and CinemaDNG has lens correction metadata but it is not applied as recording is raw.

Is there a way to disable lens correction completely? Or we can hope for some new I2 firmware to solve this...

Reactions: Rotofan
As distortion is not present in ProRes and CinemaDNG, but just in MicroSD H264/265 files, it seems to me that it has something to do with "lens correction".

It is known that lens correction is somehow applied to H264, while it is not applied to I2 ProRes recording, and CinemaDNG has lens correction metadata but it is not applied as recording is raw.

Is there a way to disable lens correction completely? Or we can hope for some new I2 firmware to solve this...
Makes sense what you are suggesting. I don't know of any way to turn the barrel distortion correction off. I guess the only saving grace is the barrel distortion should be less with the 45mm if you are recording in ProRes.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrMrdalj

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop