Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Optimal stick antenna position?

Reaction score
I am aware that they should be in rabbit ears position but I often find the stick touching the CS on Cendence and sort of hiden behind, as I like to have the CS quite flat on the controller for best viewing. For the sticks to be more "exposed" is it a good idea to swing them downwards pointing to the ground instead of up? I know how is the RF signal dispersed from the sticks and that the weakest signal is directly above the points of the stick. So for best reception the flat parts of the sticks should be facing the drone. For example if the drone is directly overhead the sticks should be parallel with the ground etc. Any thoughts from radio experts on this?

I am aware that they should be in rabbit ears position but I often find the stick touching the CS on Cendence and sort of hiden behind, as I like to have the CS quite flat on the controller for best viewing. For the sticks to be more "exposed" is it a good idea to swing them downwards pointing to the ground instead of up? I know how is the RF signal dispersed from the sticks and that the weakest signal is directly above the points of the stick. So for best reception the flat parts of the sticks should be facing the drone. For example if the drone is directly overhead the sticks should be parallel with the ground etc. Any thoughts from radio experts on this?

I always position both antenna in the downward position at about 45 degrees angle to horizontal to prevent the signal being blocked by the CS. This seems to help with the range and helps to prevent signal dropout when flying directly overhead.

I always position both antenna in the downward position at about 45 degrees angle to horizontal to prevent the signal being blocked by the CS. This seems to help with the range and helps to prevent signal dropout when flying directly overhead.
Thank you. That's one up?. Have you ever used the patch? If yes did you see any observable benefit?

DJI states in their setup video, there is a position for 2.4ghz and a different position for 5ghz.
Whereas the patch antenna should always be pointed in the direction of the aircraft.

Thank you. That's one up[emoji106]. Have you ever used the patch? If yes did you see any observable benefit?

Not tried the patch antenna much as the standard antenna will generally cover up to 500m and additional weight made the Cendence + CS even heavier to hold on long sessions.

Only 500m? I thought the stcks had range of 4km+

4km? In your dreams!

In the UK, 500m is the maximum legal flight distance. Flight beyond this distance would not only be illegal but also **** stupid as the I2 becomes very difficult to spot even at 500m.

Reactions: The Editor
4km? In your dreams!

In the UK, 500m is the maximum legal flight distance. Flight beyond this distance would not only be illegal but also **** stupid as the I2 becomes very difficult to spot even at 500m.
Australia is also the usual 120m agl and always within VLOS with YOUR OWN eyes without any visual aid (binoculars/telescope etc).

However, under CASR 101.073, the rule for VLOS above does not apply if a person holds an approval from CASA to operate BVLOS and the conditions imposed on the approval are complied with. There are several requirements under CASR101.300 pertaining to remote pilots that must be complied with for BVLOS operations.

BVLOS operations (ie, operations in which the pilot does not have direct visual contact with the aircraft) are not routinely permitted.

4km? In your dreams!

I was not talking about what's legal or what's not but about what's reliable range with Cendence and sticks. If my memory serves me well DJI states in their specs the range of 4.7km with sticks and even more with patch. I flew my Inspire in open space in VLOS with Cendence and sticks 800m away and I could still see it well enough to control it plus there is the fpv camera for orientation confirmation if needed. The video transmission was sound and so was the signal.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla