Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Osmo and Z-Axis combo

Reaction score
Got my hands on the Z-Axis last week so thought i'd do some test footage with it for you guys....

I did a full write up on the product as well if you're interested. But in short, my honest opinion.... if you put in the time and effort, you can achieve the same results without the z-axis than with it.

Got my hands on the Z-Axis last week so thought i'd do some test footage with it for you guys....

I did a full write up on the product as well if you're interested. But in short, my honest opinion.... if you put in the time and effort, you can achieve the same results without the z-axis than with it.

Interesting review Phil – Not a lot of difference in the two shots you posted - did you by any chance try it with the X5 camera? It's not meant to work but maybe?

I picked up my Osmo handle kit, having already got the X3 camera with my Inspire 1 a year ago, from RC-Geeks yesterday and also a car suction kit. Forgot to order the arm for that but that was put in the post and I did some experiments this morning. Really easy to use, rock steady shots, good sense of security with 3 sucker pads and a definite step up from the GoPro 4 setup I usually use for grip shots.

The advantage is that you can control the camera from within the car whereas with a GoPro you are stuck with what you've got and you don't get to see how it comes out till you process the files. With the Osmo ( or Oslo as the spell checker keeps trying tell me ) you can review the shots really easily through the DJI Go App.

So definitely a great bonus to have this kit. And my X3 camera gets to have something to do again having been discarded when I got the X5 camera.

I also bought the X5 connector and have been experimenting with the X5 on the Osmo. A bit more tricky with more things to keep an eye on such as focus and aperture. But a fabulous picture when you get it right. Good for short little moves and pre-rehearsed shots – the X3 is definitely far easier to use.

I’ll post a video when I’ve got used to it a bit more.

Interesting review Phil – Not a lot of difference in the two shots you posted - did you by any chance try it with the X5 camera? It's not meant to work but maybe?

I picked up my Osmo handle kit, having already got the X3 camera with my Inspire 1 a year ago, from RC-Geeks yesterday and also a car suction kit. Forgot to order the arm for that but that was put in the post and I did some experiments this morning. Really easy to use, rock steady shots, good sense of security with 3 sucker pads and a definite step up from the GoPro 4 setup I usually use for grip shots.

The advantage is that you can control the camera from within the car whereas with a GoPro you are stuck with what you've got and you don't get to see how it comes out till you process the files. With the Osmo ( or Oslo as the spell checker keeps trying tell me ) you can review the shots really easily through the DJI Go App.

So definitely a great bonus to have this kit. And my X3 camera gets to have something to do again having been discarded when I got the X5 camera.

I also bought the X5 connector and have been experimenting with the X5 on the Osmo. A bit more tricky with more things to keep an eye on such as focus and aperture. But a fabulous picture when you get it right. Good for short little moves and pre-rehearsed shots – the X3 is definitely far easier to use.

Nice footage. I'm interested to know if you mounted the osmo outside the car on the shots other than the windshield wiper and wheel shot stuff or was it mounted inside?

We need for you to be factual about your assessments about what can be done with a go pro. I have both, the Osmo and the GoPro and with the GoPro App you have just as much control over the camera as you do with the GoApp.

I actually see a huge difference with and without especially if you watch the footage full screen and for just under $200 I will probably pick one up or wait for someone who doesn't want it, to sell it used and save myself the embarrassment of having to duck walk to try to reduce the Z axis bounce without one.

Last edited:
Nice footage. I'm interested to know if you mounted the osmo outside the car on the shots other than the windshield wiper and wheel shot stuff or was it mounted inside?

We need for you to be factual about your assessments about what can be done with a go pro. I have both, the Osmo and the GoPro and with the GoPro App you have just as much control over the camera as you do with the GoApp.

Hi DodgeP - yes the Osmo was mounted on the exterior of the car for all the shots. I've got a whole bunch of GoPro's and have been using them for years and in my opinion the quality of the Osmo set up, based on my first time out with it, far exceeds that of the GoPro 4. However I'll continue to use GoPro's, they have a smaller footprint, can be made totally waterproof and are very light. I've even used gaffa tape to stick them in awkward positions.

You mention that you have as much control over the camera with the GoPro App, however, with the Osmo wifi control you can also change the position the camera is facing.

Reactions: davidbarwin

Hi Cyclops,
Good to hear from you again!
We have tried it with the X5 but the main problem is that the X5 is way too heavy for the Z-Axis. The spring would have to be a lot stronger - but this could be another product to come out in the future perhaps...

I actually see a huge difference with and without especially if you watch the footage full screen and for just under $200 I will probably pick one up or wait for someone who doesn't want it, to sell it used and save myself the embarrassment of having to duck walk to try to reduce the Z axis bounce without one.
Yes, if you don't want to be putting in the effort/looking a bit silly (especially if you're shooting all day) then it's definitely worth purchasing

I'm in no rush to get one, but I do plan on grabbing one before my trip to Indonesia and Hong Kong in September. Right now the price gap between resellers who have them and what DJI is selling them for on their site is pretty large.

I just received mine from my local dealer. I used to shoot semi-pro vid cams using the Stedi-Cam and Glide-Cam vest systems, so am very used to this type of stabilization system. The DJI Z-Axis unit does what it's supposed to do. In just the first test out of the box (no practice or adjustments), it did make a large improvement and added a lot of ease to shooting. One test often used for stabilisation vests, etc. is to walk up and down stairs. Did that with the Z-Axis and it works well. It would be EXTREMELY difficult to do that in a typical shoot without the Z-Axis no matter how carefully you "ninja-walk"!

Another less mentioned feature/benefit of the Z-Axis is the dual rosette mount attached that provides 2 rosette attach points — one forward and one back. By attaching the DJI double-head (short) mount arm to the rear rosette, I can then attach the phone holder further back and to the center of the Osmo for better balance and viewing. That still leaves me a forward mount for mic, etc., plus another rear attach point off to the left for a Zoom, etc. That does make for a better shooting rig while giving me the z-axis stabilisation required for movement footage. For $129, pretty tough to not go for it — especially when you know the price a good Glide-Cam or Stedi-Cam system costs!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry