Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Panasonic 45-175 mm lens for inspections

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has tried this lens on the X5S? While I know it is not compatible and there will be balancing issues we already know that but would want something to do inspections and surveys with so we don't have to get too close to objects.

I have seen a video on balancing and it seems to be reasonably straightforward. Our pilots is a also handyman so he can melt some lead in a Coke can base etc.

I realise this will be no good for video but should be pretty good for photographs according to the video.

Thanks

Keith

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has tried this lens on the X5S? While I know it is not compatible and there will be balancing issues we already know that but would want something to do inspections and surveys with so we don't have to get too close to objects.

I have seen a video on balancing and it seems to be reasonably straightforward. Our pilots is a also handyman so he can melt some lead in a Coke can base etc.

I realise this will be no good for video but should be pretty good for photographs according to the video.

Thanks

Keith

Search RV Hector on FB, he has been using one for quite a while with good results. or join this FB group DJI Security Check Required

I agree that it looks like the right approach as it is the only weighted solution that I have seen which includes a balance weight for both the lens and gimbal. It will be nice to get some feedback from you on how secure the attachment to both of the surfaces are.

I just returned my 45-175... I don't know the major differences between the gimbal for X5 and X5S, but even when balanced perfectly I noticed a slight vibration, humming, and 6-8 degree higher temp (used a laser temp gun) on the gimbal with the 45-175. 35-100 does the job for the most part I believe, and only requires a 30G counter weight vs 129G...

could you please post specific model # or ordering info on the 30 -100mm lense that you prefer
Thank you!

Make sure you get the 5.6 aperture version, used $150, new $230 or so. If you plan to do power lines, EMI is a thing and the 100 CAN do it, but the 175 is obviously better suited for that job. I just cant get the X5S to do it in a way I feel comfortable. I know other guys do it, I just think its overloading the gimbal. The temp/vibrations are noticeable.

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-35...94&sr=8-3&keywords=panasonic+35-100mm+f+4-5.6

I have an inspire 2 with a Cendence Controller and an x5S Camera. I got this lens and the balancing kit from Canada. It is able to take very very high resolution pictures. I have not tried using it for videos.

If anyone has any information or techniques to improve focusing with this set up let me know. The autofocus works only in the very best situations. Manual focus is very difficult to control from the DJI Go 4 App. The Cendence Controller focusing knob is not usable.

If anyone has any tricks or techniques that can improve either the manual focusing or the autofocusing I would love to learn them.

Reactions: FlyaDrone
I just returned my 45-175... I don't know the major differences between the gimbal for X5 and X5S, but even when balanced perfectly I noticed a slight vibration, humming, and 6-8 degree higher temp (used a laser temp gun) on the gimbal with the 45-175. 35-100 does the job for the most part I believe, and only requires a 30G counter weight vs 129G...
Do you have a link to the Len you are using

Make sure you get the 5.6 aperture version, used $150, new $230 or so. If you plan to do power lines, EMI is a thing and the 100 CAN do it, but the 175 is obviously better suited for that job. I just cant get the X5S to do it in a way I feel comfortable. I know other guys do it, I just think its overloading the gimbal. The temp/vibrations are noticeable.

https://www.amazon.com/PANASONIC-35...94&sr=8-3&keywords=panasonic+35-100mm+f+4-5.6
Can I ask how did you put the weight on

Help please ...

I have purchased the Panasonic 45-145 lens and balanced it but doesn’t seem to work reliably. Anyone have any suggestions?

When I try to autofocus it takes about 10 seconds during which time the focus does not seem to change and it then puts a red a/f square up without actually focusing.

When I try to calibrate the lens it fails most of the time but occasionally will complete the calibration but never actually says that the calibration was ok.

In manual, the focus very rarely responds to the focus control. Occasionally the focus will ‘flicker’ and sometimes I get lucky and the image is in focus, however this process can take several minutes!

The lens is on firmware version 1.3 and works perfectly on my Panasonic G7 camera.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? At the moment the lens is pretty much unusable.

Hello Roconnor,

I recently added the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100 mm ASPH 4.0-5.6 to my equipement. I did spend the last two days trying to calibrate the lens. But it wouldn't let me. I just can't get it to work.

So far I tried to calibrate it using
- iPad 2017, GO4 version 4.0.4
- iPad mini 2, GO4 version 4.3.9
- Huawei P8 Lite 2017, GO4 version 4.2.21
- Huawei P8 Lite 2017, GO4 version 4.3.11

On the iPads the app freezes - not entirely, though, just the camera controls, but still. On the Android phones the app remains fully functional, but still the calibrating procedures does not work. There is no enlarged image, no beep, no white 'OK' to tap on for confirmation. When the app freezes, the only thing that helps is to power cycle the I2.

Which FW do you use. I currently use a rather old FW:
- Inspire 2: 01.00.0330
- Remote: 01.00.0110
- Camera: 01.02.15.04
- Gimbal: 01.00.00.76

Any tips on how I might get this to work?

Cheers

One thing to keep in mind when you are adding heavier, unsupported lenses to your X5S is your flight speed and braking. Because these lenses are much heavier than the others and extra weight is needed to balance them, it takes more gimbal motor power to correct when they need to be stabilized. Once something is perfectly balanced it takes very little effort by the motor to keep it in place while you are hovering. In flight, with wind and resistance, the gimbal motor has to use more power to hold it steady...the faster you are flying the more power it uses to keep it stabilized. The same is true with your braking strength. Slowly easing to a stop is easier on your gimbal motors that an abrupt stop.

By flying in a slower more reserved manner and braking smoothly you will help keep from burning out your gimbal motors too early. We spoke to one repair shop that had been getting a lot of X5S back for gimbal motor replacement and they indicated that they were coming from inspectors of different types using the big zoom lenses.

Hope this helps keep some of those X5S out of the repair shop.....thanks!

Reactions: Killboydotcom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD