Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Passenger kicked off flight for drone

I can't remember if the TSA/United confiscated 4 or 6 tb48's from me in Houston, TX. GWB International
This was on my return flight. My feelings was hurt but now IMHO Absolutely no LIPO's should be allowed on a plane, period. Ground Transportation only!
Its a bomb, have you people ever seen a lipo catch fire. I purchased 2 lipo safe charging bags ASAP
I can't be TRUSTED to fly in public but i can take multiple DJI Bombs on a plane? WTF:p Two 47's legally.
RC lipo's OMG it's a bomb on a plane. As of 4/25/16 I dont want NO lipo's on my plane:eek:

I can't remember if the TSA/United confiscated 4 or 6 tb48's from me in Houston, TX. GWB International
I remember when you posted about this and I recall it was the TSA. Still, the regulations say an individual cannot carry more then 2 TB48s but we can carry as many TB47s as we want.

It's always good practice to carry printouts of the battery travel regulations from the FAA and from the airlines you will be traveling with. Southwest points you to the TSA/FAA regulations. It's a shame he was kicked off the plane for being responsible. I didn't listen to the story in the link but I hope he's compensated for his trouble and the flight attendant and pilot are punished somehow. It's really embarrassing for the company.

This was on my return flight. My feelings was hurt but now IMHO Absolutely no LIPO's should be allowed on a plane, period. Ground Transportation only!
Its a bomb, have you people ever seen a lipo catch fire. I purchased 2 lipo safe charging bags ASAP
I can't be TRUSTED to fly in public but i can take multiple DJI Bombs on a plane? WTF:p Two 47's legally.
RC lipo's OMG it's a bomb on a plane. As of 4/25/16 I dont want NO lipo's on my plane:eek:

By that line of logic, we should also not allow any cellphones, computers, tablets, or anything else with a lithium battery on a plane.

I first came across lithium batteries in the early 90's that we started using in down hole pressure, temp recorders. We were told back then that 2 C cell sized lithium batteries had the explosive power of 1 stick of dynamite and would explode if the seal was broken and they came into contact with water. Even saw a video on it. Quite impressive. Now the LIPO batteries of today are safer than those back then, but there is a lot of stored energy that can be released quite rapidly when things go wrong and unintended consequences happen. It may not be a bad idea for people to take a TDG and WHMIS course and look up the LIPO safe transport regs to ensure that they are following them for the safety of all involved.

Reactions: slim.slamma
I first came across lithium batteries in the early 90's that we started using in down hole pressure, temp recorders. We were told back then that 2 C cell sized lithium batteries had the explosive power of 1 stick of dynamite and would explode if the seal was broken and they came into contact with water. Even saw a video on it. Quite impressive. Now the LIPO batteries of today are safer than those back then, but there is a lot of stored energy that can be released quite rapidly when things go wrong and unintended consequences happen. It may not be a bad idea for people to take a TDG and WHMIS course and look up the LIPO safe transport regs to ensure that they are following them for the safety of all involved.
Lithium polymer technology was invented by the Koreans in 1996 so it's fairly new so it will take awhile before there full proof.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido